Welcome back - Upgrade to phpBB3 Complete

All Announcements for the site are here!

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Re: Welcome back - Upgrade to phpBB3 Complete

Postby Stunned on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:37 am

Ghosthoffa wrote:
Stunned wrote:\

We'll get it corrected/improved. I'm asking for some patience here--lots going on simultaneously.

No time for patience, get on it now.... ;)

You know... maybe another mod would help with the transition.......

Hey man, the youtube BBCode was for you. I'm not feelin' the love... :lol:
Stunned
Administrator
Administrator

Location: With my therapist, discussing my level of fanaticism

Postby Ghosthoffa on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks Rick :roll:

How bout stopping by and saying hi at the next game...
Q: How do you get Democrats to pay taxes? A: Appoint them to Cabinet positions.

Mitt Romney in 2012

Follow Me On Twitter!
Ghosthoffa
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Stunned on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:47 pm

Ghosthoffa wrote:Thanks Rick :roll:

How bout stopping by and saying hi at the next game...

I'm actually taking a season ticket break this year. I went to the Calgary game (oh, boy), but I haven't been to any others. We'll definitely get together one of these days...
Stunned
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stunned on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:22 am

Okay, so there is a new default color scheme that's a bit better than baby blue. This isn't the end result. Just a stop gap appearance for the short run.
Stunned
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stunned on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:55 am

Stunned wrote:Okay, so there is a new default color scheme that's a bit better than baby blue. This isn't the end result. Just a stop gap appearance for the short run.

The style is prored. Since we all started with proSilver, you may have to change your profile to set the new color scheme if you're so inclined.
Stunned
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PurpGoPassion on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:34 pm

This new style sucks! The colors suck, the layout sucks. Liked the old one better.
PurpGoPassion
Banned

Postby Matzel on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:38 pm

PurpGoPassion wrote:This new style sucks! The colors suck, the layout sucks. Liked the old one better.

The new features (for both posters and moderators) are totally awesome and more than make up for the slight change in looks and layout. It will take some time to get used to and the current look is anything but the finished look and feel. Give it some time and I bet you will like it.

More importantly, phpBB will stop supporting the old board software version we were using up until a few days ago. Consider that and there was really no alternative to updating to this version.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PurpGoPassion on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Your probably right. I don't do change well. :(
PurpGoPassion
Banned

Postby Stunned on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:33 pm

PurpGoPassion wrote:Your probably right. I don't do change well. :(

Believe me Purp, we feel your pain. When I first looked at it I was like WTF???? Yuck! There was a reason I gave everyone a 'heads up' before making the change ;).

Also, to respond to a comment Ghost made earlier, bringing forward RedGlass and the other styles wasn't really a feasible possibility. Each style for a board consists of php templates (for layout), a scheme (colors), and imagesets (images). The phpBB3 templates, obviously, aren't anything like phpBB2 (the templates are used to generate the html your browser loads and displays). This renders the schemes (and imagesets for that matter) basically useless. You _can_ duplicate the old look and feel, but it's a lot of work to do.

There are phpBB3 themes out there. And we could slap one in in a jiffy. But those themes, unless tweaked, will likely generate just as many complaints about inappropriateness. Nothing out of the box that I've seen is actually very satisfying. And tweaking them is what will take us some time.

The current look is short term. We _will_ provide a coyotes look and feel as soon as reasonably possible. And you _will_ like the added phpBB3 functionality (well, at least most folks will). But it takes some getting used to for sure.

An example of a cool feature is the ability to save drafts of posts. You, Purp, don't tend to do the longer posts, but the posters that are in mid post and then decide they really want to look at something else real quick will appreciate they can save the draft directly and finish it later without having to jumps thru hoops to accomplish the same thing. The same goes for quoting multiple posts within your posts--much, much easier.

Anway, you'll have to trust me when I say we'll feel the pressure until such a time that a 'good' look get's rolled out...
Stunned
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Matzel on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:42 pm

Another really neat feature (for mods) is the ability to merge topics. The previous board version did not allow this but it enables us to merge threads on the the same (or similar) topic where appropriate and keeps the boards tidy.

This is just one of the new features that I like but there are many more in the background that make moderation much simpler and more effective.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stunned on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:09 pm

OH, and by the way, for the seeing impaired:

You can make the screen layout and fonts 'bigger' by clicking that little A^ symbol in the upper right under the search box. Certainly makes the graphics that indicate new posts easier to see.

Also, if you haven't figured this out yet, that little star in a graphic means that its a thread that you responded to at least once.
Stunned
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stunned on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:24 pm

Okay, made an executive decision to move everyone to the 'red' (prored) style. It seemed better to move the masses to the prored and to, perhaps, have a few purposefully go back to the proSilver blue rather than the other way around.

Note that this changes nothing regarding the ultimate intention to create and use a better style. This is just a temporary move.
Stunned
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stunned on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:10 pm

I'm surprised I haven't heard any feedback on my stupid little stick addition. :)
Stunned
Administrator
Administrator

Postby davinchy on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Stunned wrote:I'm surprised I haven't heard any feedback on my stupid little stick addition. :)

I like them...makes it much, much easier to see the new posts...the red was making me crazy, I had to increase the font size to "try" to see the new posts :)
"Well, I woke up Sunday morning, with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt...and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad...so I had one more for dessert."

Sunday Morning Coming Down - Kris Kristofferson
davinchy
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Ghosthoffa on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:00 pm

So top line center.... goodness I wonder how many posts I need to fill up my stick thingy...
Q: How do you get Democrats to pay taxes? A: Appoint them to Cabinet positions.

Mitt Romney in 2012

Follow Me On Twitter!
Ghosthoffa
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements