Phoenix Coyotes: Trade Deadline Rumors

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Re: Phoenix Coyotes: Trade Deadline Rumors

Postby CBL on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:41 am

He has 2 more seasons remaining (after the current one) on his contract, so if he's going to waive the NMC, I would guess he would want to go to a team that has an excellent chance to make it past the first round this season (which we don't at this point--even if we added Weiss), and would also be stable enough to do well next season (again, not us since we have so many unsigned RFAs/UFAs). Sure, we may re-sign a good number of them, but at this point it is uncertain (not to mention the ownership debacle) if we will, which is especially important considering that Bryz is one of those "yet to be signed" players.

Honestly, if I were Weiss, I wouldn't waive my NMC at this point, unless I would be traded to a bonafide contender this season (by bonafide I mean practically guaranteed to make it past the first round); instead, wait until the offseason if you're going to waive it (it would be better to start a new season with a new team rather than joining a team with about 2 months remaining in the season).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him in a 'Yotes jersey this season, but I can't see it happening this season...
CBL

Postby PHXyotes on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 pm

I would love to see Tik and our 1st rounder for Weiss and McCabe
PHXyotes
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Robert Earthpig on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Hell yes. That'd be sweet.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Kaibur on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:39 am

LA is looking to make a big splash in the trade market and have made inquiries about Weiss and Richards. They have the same kinds of assets we do - picks, quality prospects, decent roster players, cap space - but they also have a few things we don't - stable ownership and higher expectations. Hradek, Melrose and Barnaby talked about how Dean Lombardi's job might be on the line if the Kings don't make the playoffs this year, so he's hitting the trade market pretty hard. He waived Marco Sturm yesterday to open up a spot in case a trade is made.

If we're competing with LA for Weiss' services, it might be hard to swing a prudent deal.

Two days to go and we've just dropped two ugly games. I'd like to stand pat, but the standings are just so tight and we really need to continue the playoff appearances.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Kaibur on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:03 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/5 ... s-phillips

"The Phoenix Coyotes are looking for defensive depth before the deadline."

I wonder why they didn't just sign Hnidy? Boston signed him to a league minimum one-way yesterday. I guess GMDM feels he needs to move a body in order to bring one in.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Matzel on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:06 am

Kaibur wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/5074/weekend-wrap-trade-rumors-including-brad-richards-and-chris-phillips

"The Phoenix Coyotes are looking for defensive depth before the deadline."

I wonder why they didn't just sign Hnidy? Boston signed him to a league minimum one-way yesterday. I guess GMDM feels he needs to move a body in order to bring one in.

With Aucoin and Jovo back... do we need (more) defensive depth? Yonkers has been pretty solid as a 6th/7th defenseman as long as he can stay out of the sin bin.

I would like to see some scoring punch added. Defense wins championships but so far the team is once again winning one goal games just to get to the playoffs. It would be nice to be able to put the biscuit in the basket with more regularity.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kaibur on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:11 am

We really don't need help on the wing - it's at center that we're desperate. We're going to go into the stretch run with Ebbett as our depth guy. The problem is it's a sellers market and trying to get a productive center at this time of year while making a dollar-for-dollar trade, as per GMDM, is awfully hard to pull.

I don't want to go into the stretch run counting on Yonkman as the depth guy. The kind of defenseman we get (and the length of his contract) will depend on how sure we are that Jovo will be back by the playoffs.

Is everyone comfortable with the idea of sending down the youngsters on two-way contracts to make a run at the AHL championship? I could see them doing that with OEL and maybe Turris. Boedker has played so well as of late that I think it less likely at this point for him.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Matzel on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:14 am

Kaibur wrote:Is everyone comfortable with the idea of sending down the youngsters on two-way contracts to make a run at the AHL championship? I could see them doing that with OEL and maybe Turris. Boedker has played so well as of late that I think it less likely at this point for him.

Hell yeah!

The odds of the SA Rampage doing some serious damage during an extended playoff run are a heck of lot higher than the Coyotes going to the second round. As a longtime Jets/Coyotes fan I *expect* a good effort but a 1st round exit. :wink:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BetweenthePipes on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Matzel wrote:
Kaibur wrote:Is everyone comfortable with the idea of sending down the youngsters on two-way contracts to make a run at the AHL championship? I could see them doing that with OEL and maybe Turris. Boedker has played so well as of late that I think it less likely at this point for him.

Hell yeah!

The odds of the SA Rampage doing some serious damage during an extended playoff run are a heck of lot higher than the Coyotes going to the second round. As a longtime Jets/Coyotes fan I *expect* a good effort but a 1st round exit. :wink:

I'm not sure Turris is still exempt from waivers (too many rules for me to figure it out correctly).
Goalie Guru
BetweenthePipes
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Turris must be exempt from waivers for now because he's already been sent down and brought back without having to go through them.
The kid needs to play and sitting on the sidelines in Phoenix is not helping him get to where this franchise needs him to be. Send him to the farm for the duration of this season to help the pups make a major push into the AHL playoffs, and maybe even win a championship as they have the horses to do it - especially with Turris and OEL added to the mix.

Does anyone expect the dogs to win a Stanley Cup this year? I don't. Like Matz said, I expect them to make the playoffs and, sans star power up front, come up short in a hard fought series, unless they end up playing a team like the Preds or the Wild, then I can see the first playoff win in a generation.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby BetweenthePipes on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:Turris must be exempt from waivers for now because he's already been sent down and brought back without having to go through them.

capgeek.com has a waiver calculator. If I filled it out correctly, Turris is still exempt from waivers through this season.
Goalie Guru
BetweenthePipes
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Kaibur on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:33 pm

What about Cogliano as a trade target? I remember last year there was a fair amount of fan chatter about a Mueller for Cogs 'change of scenery' type deal. He's 23, has really worked on his two-way game, and has the speed at center that we've lacked since losing Lombardi to FA, and he'd improve our depth at center. He only makes $1 million and then is an RFA. GMDM said dollar-for-dollar, so I'm not sure who we could ship out to make the money match, but I figure maybe we could add one of the extra picks at the draft as incentive (we have an extra 2nd, 6th and 7th this year).
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Matzel on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:02 pm

This dollar-for-dollar business seriously diminishes the odds of obtaining anyone of real value to the club. Meh.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jmichael7753 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:29 pm

ok so the yotes have been linked to hemsky by eklund. yeah I know he sucks but what would it take to get him? I figure GMDM has about 1.5-2 mil in budget this year. So maybe something like Vrbata (3 mil)+Summers+2nd, to Edmonton for hemsky (4.1 mil)?
jmichael7753
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Kaibur on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 pm

jmichael7753 wrote:ok so the yotes have been linked to hemsky by eklund. yeah I know he sucks but what would it take to get him? I figure GMDM has about 1.5-2 mil in budget this year. So maybe something like Vrbata (3 mil)+Summers+2nd, to Edmonton for hemsky (4.1 mil)?

Not sure if you were just kidding with this or not, but that's an undervaluation. I assume you've seen this:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/02/ ... rs_hemsky/

If they're looking for at least B Schenn from LA, they'll be looking for one of our top prospects as well. Vrbata's a UFA and the 2nd would probably be between pick 50 and 60, so it's not a great pick in a supposedly weak draft. LA can outbid us for Hemsky and have more need and interest.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

PreviousNext

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors