Free Agents the Coyotes should sign

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Re: Free Agents the Coyotes should sign

Postby Matzel on Fri May 27, 2011 8:54 am

gollybass wrote:
Matzel wrote:
gollybass wrote:think of the money off the books without jovo or bryz

Cap space means nothing for a league owned franchise on a shoestring budget. Heck, money to spend means nothing with a team in location limbo like the Yotes: UFAs with other options will not be looking at PHX too closely, even if the dollars are comparable.

Just like whitney right?

I don't recall, did the Wizard have other offers in the same dollar range?
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kaibur on Fri May 27, 2011 9:09 am

I think Carolina offered to re-up him for about the same, but only on a one year deal. I think he wanted a 3 year deal from LA to waive his NTC at the trade deadline just before that, and I think the dollar amount was about the same, but they didn't want to go that long (understandably).

Even without Bryz, this team might sneak into the 8th spot. I've read a couple of interviews where guys have said Tippett is the best coach they've ever had, and that's saying something. Would you rather play on a team like Columbus for 2 years, or in Phoenix for 1, for example? I think the Yotes will be given due consideration for guys looking for short term deals.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby gollybass on Fri May 27, 2011 10:09 am

I have total faith that tipp could find a replacement for Bryz, we have a fairly defensive system that goalies benefit from. I don't think Bryz was that good this year that he is not replaceable, I just hiope that if bryz is to leave, that GMDM trades his rights.
gollybass
Second Line Winger
Second Line Winger

Postby Matzel on Fri May 27, 2011 6:02 pm

This club needs to take the next step in the evolution towards becoming a respected, well supported, up-and-coming NHL franchise in its current location.

For years, the franchise seems to be stuck in a vicious cycle of:

--> poor management/ownership limbo leads to lack of success
--> leads to lack of support (fans and sponsors)
--> leads to lack of funds for proper marketing
--> leads to lack of funds to retain key UFAs
--> leads to lack of funds to attract major UFAs

Lather, rinse, repeat, ... :yawn:

Something has to give. An 8th place finish and another first round playoff exit is not going to help this club. If that's the goal, I suggest start losing hard around the all star break and get rewarded with a high first round pick.
Then pick Czech power forward RW Martin Frk to be mentored by Martin Hanzal. Frk is playing CHL hockey (QMJHL) for the Halifax Mooseheads. In his skills and development, he compares to Frolik and Voracek at the same age, some might argue he's ahead of them...

The Coyotes need to break the mould. Doing more of the same will translate into doing more of the same. If the club cannot be improved from the outside, via trades or UFAs, if spending more on salaries is not an option, they need to draft more talented players.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon May 30, 2011 10:13 am

Agree Matz. Was just thinking about how it would have been nice if we tanked properly when we were re-building and actually drafted a star player, as opposed to nice pieces that MIGHT become good NHLers.
Book is still out on Turris. He showed some worthy flashes in the playoffs and with another summer of off-season conditioning and hopefully some increased confidence, and ice time, he COULD become a star player. Not as sure as I once was because it is taking him so long to hit stride. Boedker looks like he will be a quality second liner / excellent third liner. OEL has yet to really impress me in any way. Haven't seen enough of him, I guess. Gormley... who knows. SHOULD be good.
The rest... who knows? There is no bang on, can't miss star player coming into this team. But there could be a few good'ns (MacLean included).

I'd like to see GMDM do something daring and wacky, like trading Bryzgalov to a team that thinks it can sign him and get a whopper of a player or two in return, or even a first round pick and a roster player like Versteeg from the Flyers, who really strike me as the best bet for GMDM to deal with. Jeff Carter would be better. Or bag Ville Leino and a firsty for Bryz. That'd be good, too.
But if we lose him for SQUAT - that'd really SUCK.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Lils17 on Mon May 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:I'd like to see GMDM do something daring and wacky, like trading Bryzgalov to a team that thinks it can sign him and get a whopper of a player or two in return, or even a first round pick and a roster player like Versteeg from the Flyers, who really strike me as the best bet for GMDM to deal with. Jeff Carter would be better. Or bag Ville Leino and a firsty for Bryz. That'd be good, too.
But if we lose him for SQUAT - that'd really SUCK.

Unless the team that trades for Bryz has him locked up prior to the trade, the return isn't going to be good if the Coyotes try and trade his rights before July 1st.
Lils17
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue May 31, 2011 1:35 pm

Agreed. Hopefully that would be achieved before a deal was announced.
The Flyers need cap relief. They have Giroux coming along who can replace Carter (and JVR), so they can part with a core piece. Carter has a major salary that the dogs could take on, if they dealt Bryz. The Flyers NEED a high end goalie.

It would be win-win for both teams.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Previous

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors