Free Agent goalies worth considering (for 'Yotes)

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Free Agent goalies worth considering (for 'Yotes)

Postby CBL on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:46 pm

With the trade of Bryz's "rights" and the re-signing of Labarbera as a backup, we are now in need of a starting goalie. I was looking through the tentative Free Agent list from capgeek and figured I'd start a new thread for further discussion since there are some interesting options. The ones I list below are those I would like to see us start discussions with in July. Please note, I'm thinking of ones that would be affordable and willing to sign a 2 year contract:

LeClaire: I think he'd be willing to sign for a reasonable amount/term. Admittedly his stats aren't the best, but put him with a Defense first team and he could shine come close to his 2007-2008 form (especially with good goalie coach). At 28, he definitely has a chance to improve.

Roloson: A bit long in the tooth, but may be willing to sign a 1 year contract (which would be my preference considering that we will hopefully have a new owner by the end of next season). He did well in TB, so with our defense, he could put up similar numbers (of course our scoring limitations may cause trouble if he becomes inconsistent),

Hedberg: Sure, he's a bit old, but could still have a decent season or two in him. His stats have been okay the last few seasons (apart from a couple of seasons in Atlanta). I could see him accepting a reasonable contract for 1-2 seasons.

Smith: Sort of a longshot. Could he do well? Maybe. Could he be a starter? I'm not so sure on that, we'd probably have to tandem with Labarbera in that case (which is rather scary).

Budaj: Another gamble, but put him in front of a Defense-oriented team (which Colorado definitely wasn't last season), and he could thrive. the question (besides if he could return to a starting role) is would he accept a 1 year contract (he's a bit inconsistent to offer 2-3 in my opinion). Signing him, I would assume we wouldn't make the playoffs (having to start him would be way too risky), but he might be okay until we get things straightened out.

Garon: This might be an interesting option. He has consistent stats, but hasn't been in a starting role for a while. Still, he could be decent for a season or two at an affordable salary; after all, his GAA has stayed under 2.82 the last two seasons in Columbus. Add him to our team D, and it might work well.

Theodore: I'm not overly interested in him, but he could be a decent addition. I think he's a bit inconsistent (especially in the playoffs), but he may be willing to sign a 1 year contract at a reasonable salary.

NOTE: I went in the order they appeared on the list, not my preference. Still if I had to put them in order of my interest it would be Roloson, Leclaire, Garon, Hedberg, Theodore, Budaj, and Smith.

I realize I didn't include Vokoun in my list, but I'm guessing he'll be snagged by a more desperate team for a long-term contract (4 or 5 years), big money contract (I'm guessing it'll be Winnipeg).
CBL

Re: Free Agent goalies worth considering (for 'Yotes)

Postby Kaibur on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Rumor that Viktor Fasth is in talks with the Yotes. I don't know much about the guy.

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserien/1 ... ktor-fasth

Used Google translate and came up with this:

"Reveals: Phoenix would acquire Viktor Fasth
Viktor Fasth remains relevant for the NHL.
According to SPORT-Expressen are several clubs interested in the success the goalie and one of the hottest right now is the Phoenix.
- That's so simple that you'll have to wait and see what happens, "said Fasth."
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Matzel on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:23 pm

As mentioned in another thread, my first choice - by quite a margin - would be Vokoun. It's not very likely though, I am afraid.

I realize the thread title promises a discussion about FA goalies but there is of course the opportunity for a trade. I am thinking of Corey Schneider (VAN), who seems ready to take the next step towards becoming a starter in the show. Bobby Lou is their starter and Lack could probably take over as the next backup. The 'Nucks need to make room for him to develop and the Yotes are in need of a young, quality tender.

I am thinking of a draft day deal including either PHX's first round pick or one of the second rounders and a second tier prospect like MacLean or maybe Goncharov. Schneider could possibly be an improvement over Bryz in the mid to long term.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kaibur on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Matzel wrote:As mentioned in another thread, my first choice - by quite a margin - would be Vokoun. It's not very likely though, I am afraid.

I realize the thread title promises a discussion about FA goalies but there is of course the opportunity for a trade. I am thinking of Corey Schneider (VAN), who seems ready to take the next step towards becoming a starter in the show. Bobby Lou is their starter and Lack could probably take over as the next backup. The 'Nucks need to make room for him to develop and the Yotes are in need of a young, quality tender.

I am thinking of a draft day deal including either PHX's first round pick or one of the second rounders and a second tier prospect like MacLean or maybe Goncharov. Schneider could possibly be an improvement over Bryz in the mid to long term.

The 'Nucks could win the Cup this year and they have Schneider under control for very cheap for another year. They could reasonably wait until next offseason when he's RFA, or maybe until the trade deadline when they might be able to get some serious help. They have zero incentive to move Schneider except for massive overpayment. And there will be other suitors. I think the only way Schneider moves this offseason is if he asks for a trade and a chance to shine elsewhere as a #1, similarly to what happened with Burke and Bryzgalov in Anaheim.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:56 am

Schneider would be an upgrade OVER Bryz, IMO. Can't see the Canucks dealing him. Can see them dealing Luongo before Schneider, so how about we go after Luongo - dangling our first pick and MacLean?

Other than that - Vokoun would be a sweet snag but he'll take the bigger bucks elsewhere.
Roloson is a likely candidate, as is Smith. Both would be an okay stop gap until GMDM could do something else.
Ditto Hedberg who can still be a pretty good goaler.
M. Garon - hmmm - not sure what to think of him, really. But if we are going to run with two backups - he'd be 'okay.'
J. Theodore - wouldn't be terrible as a stop gap measure but he ain't no Bryz.

Other possibilities:
- Ray Emery - why not? His head case days seem to be fading in the rearview... can still be a good goalie.
- JS Giguere (wouldn't be my choice but he is available)
- Send a second rounder to Washington for the injury prone Semyon Varlamov
- Marty Turco - makes me nervous but he was a good goalie not too long ago
- Joey Macdonald - another backup
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Lils17 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 am

Winnipeg will not go after a Vokoun with a big money deal...if they choose to replace Mason, it will be with someone to help Pavelec grow.
Lils17
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Topps_DOM on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40 am

Kaibur wrote:Rumor that Viktor Fasth is in talks with the Yotes. I don't know much about the guy.

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserien/1 ... ktor-fasth

Used Google translate and came up with this:

"Reveals: Phoenix would acquire Viktor Fasth
Viktor Fasth remains relevant for the NHL.
According to SPORT-Expressen are several clubs interested in the success the goalie and one of the hottest right now is the Phoenix.
- That's so simple that you'll have to wait and see what happens, "said Fasth."

Sounds like phx isn't alone:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning ... ng-closely

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/h ... 2961000.ab

That would be very cool, though, to pluck a hot Euro goaltender out of the blue for ourselves...
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 217
Topps_DOM
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Kaibur on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:47 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:Schneider would be an upgrade OVER Bryz, IMO. Can't see the Canucks dealing him. Can see them dealing Luongo before Schneider, so how about we go after Luongo - dangling our first pick and MacLean?

:palm: And I thought you were overrating the value of negotiating rights with Bryz. Mac & a mid-1st for a guy with a full NTC and a lifetime contract? Wow.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby CBL on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:14 am

Topps_DOM wrote:
Sounds like phx isn't alone:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning ... ng-closely

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/h ... 2961000.ab

That would be very cool, though, to pluck a hot Euro goaltender out of the blue for ourselves...

According to the translation (with some slight tweaking) of the second link "According to Sportbladet, Fasth [is being scouted by] five NHL clubs, including the Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Rangers..."

So, TB, NYR, EDM (according to one of the articles), and PHX are four of them. I wonder who is the fifth (perhaps Colorado)? Given the known 4, his best bet would be TB, followed by Edmonton, then the Rangers, and finally the Yotes. As mentioned in the article, if he went to NY, he'd probably have to play in the A (which I doubt he'd do) unless they move Biron. For us, the best place would be the A as well (we already have a BU), I can't imagine he'd be considered as a starter here (I hope).
CBL

Postby CBL on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:30 pm

CBL

Postby BigGumby on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:33 pm

And Roloson is off the table...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370371

Looks like Vokoun is going to be the most sought after tender on Friday.
“We didn’t go into the playoffs through the back door. We kicked the door down."

--GM Don Maloney

"Note: Dave Tippett's quotes play a Dave Tippett system."

--Harrison Mooney (Puck Daddy)
BigGumby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:13 pm

We're gonna end up with Turco - book it. His association with Tippett and the fact no one else will want him will seal that dea.
We'll likely end up with JP Dumont and Chris Drury, too. :puke:
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Re: Article

Postby CBL on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:31 pm

Here's an article where GMDM discusses the upcoming free agency period.

Linky link: http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=567800

Seems positive although it doesn't really add much to the conversation...
CBL

Postby Matzel on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:56 am

Harding signed with Minnesota. (1 year @ $750k)
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BigGumby on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:29 am

Theodore signed with Florida. 2yr - $3mil
“We didn’t go into the playoffs through the back door. We kicked the door down."

--GM Don Maloney

"Note: Dave Tippett's quotes play a Dave Tippett system."

--Harrison Mooney (Puck Daddy)
BigGumby
Rookie
Rookie

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors