Forwards worth considering (for 2011-2012 'Yotes)

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Forwards worth considering (for 2011-2012 'Yotes)

Postby CBL on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Since I started a thread for goalies, I figured I'd add one for forwards as well. I realize there is a catch all thread for FAs, but I wanted to post one with similar restrictions to my Goalie one (players willing to sign 2-3 years at a semi-reasonable salary). Anyway, here are some interesting possibilities (in addition to Vrbata):

M. Handzus: Not sure if he'd return or how much it would cost us, but it would be nice to have him as one of our centers. Is he 1st liner? No. Second liner? maybe. Of course if we lose Fiddler, I wouldn't mind seeing him on the 3rd/4th.

M. Ryder: It would be nice to have someone that could score on the PP. Plus, he's of a decent age and shows up to play in the playoffs. Of course, there will probably be a long line for signing him, but I'd be willing to sign him for 3 years (of course other teams will probably go 4 or 5).

E. Cole: Decent age, but will get some nice offers that we may not be able to match; he might even have decent chemistry with Whitney.

A. Frolov: There is just something about him that I think would work wonderfully in our lineup. He's relatively young and (if he remains healthy) could come close to leading the team in scoring (just behind Whitney). It would be interesting to see a Frolov - Hanzal - Vrbata line though.

A. Miettinen: Definitely an interesting pick-up if we lose Vrbata. Of course, I don't see him displacing Doan on the first line, but it might be an interesting strategy. I think he'd be interesting to watch with Whitney.

S. Upshall: He did well here, but would he return? I think he might consider it (depending on what other offers he receives); still, I'm pretty sure he won't be returning to Columbus.

B. Laich: Excellent fit and could easily make the 1st line. Whitney - Laich - Doan would be a perfect line for us. Of course, would he sign with us for only 2-3 seasons? If not, I'm hoping we would go longer; he's exactly what we need, which means we probably won't get him.

J. Jokinen: Might be a solid addition to the team (at least to our power play lines). Where he'd fit in the full strength lineup, I'm not sure 2nd or 3rd I suppose (might be good competition for Vrbata). Of course, I'm guessing he might be too pricey for us and may be heading to a slumpy season.

M. Reasoner: Admittedly, he wouldn't be a solution to our Center problem, but he might do well here and should be willing to sign a reasonable contract.

M. Talbot: I think he would do well here on the 2nd line; PIT has too much talent at center to allow us to see his full potential.

A. Asham: Another player I think would fit well into our roster. I think a Biz - Fiddler - Asham line could be dangerous (in a number of ways).

J. Halpern: Again, not a solution to our Center problem, but might be a good stop gap until we get a new owner. I'm guessing he'd take a 1-2 year contract.

There are probably a few others that I missed (and some tempting RFAs), but my top five worth pursuing (in order of preference) are Laich, Ryder, Talbot, Frolov, and Asham; these are by no means the highest quality UFAs we should pursue, but the ones that I think would best fill gaps to improve the team.
CBL

Re: UFAs forwards worth considering (for 'yotes)

Postby gollybass on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:53 am

I wonder about the possibility of Drury, it seems he is going to be bought out by the Rangers, and on a good (and I mean good for us) deal, he might be worth a shot.
gollybass
Second Line Winger
Second Line Winger

Postby Lils17 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:34 am

The problem that the Coyotes are facing is too many of these UFAs will be looking for 2+ year deals and not too many people are going to take a 2 year deal in Phoenix, unless it's for more money then they are worth (LaBarbara anyone).
Lils17
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 am

Good thread.
From your list these are the guys, in order, I'd prefer to see GMDM sign.

1) Brooks Laich - he'd fit right into our system/style and would be an upgrade at center all the way around. Like his compete level.
2) Jussi Jokinen - he'd likely become our leading scorer, getting first line minutes. Lots of skill and along with a hopefully resigned Vrbata, would make the dogs a scary team in the shootout.
3) Scottie Upshall - love his compete level and he'd be an upgrade for our third line. Still think he has a 25-50 goal potential for his peak seasons, which are approaching.
4) Aaron Asham - another guy with fire in his belly, who'd fit in great with Fiddler and company on the fourth line. Tough as nails, too.
5) Mike Ryder - Doubt he'd sign here and is a bit slow a-foot but has played well in Boston this year. Would be an upgrade to our O but I wonder who he'd supplant in the top two lines, where he has to play. He's not much good as a checking line player.
6) Michael Handzus - would boost our defensive prowess but we need a top two line centerman to keep Hanzal as our third line center. Turris HAS TO BE GIVEN a shot as the first or second line centerman sooner than later. Handzus is like Hanzal and I'd rather Fiddler stayed as our fourth line guy. So... where would he fit? If we don't resign Fids, he'd make a good fourth line centerman.
7) Anti Miettenen - he'd be an upgrade to our forwards. But I fear we might be leaning too far into Europe and lose much needed toughness.
8) Not mentioned here but worth a look - Pascal Dupuis, who'd boost our bottom six forward group.

As for the rest:

Erik Cole: He flopped when he left Carolina last time and, like Vrbata, maybe he's only good on one team (which is why I Vrbata will resign for bargain money in Phoenix).
Alex Frolov: Major meh. Floaty softy boy would quickly become a scapegoat of Coach Tip, ala Wolski (who I see is being considered for a buyout by the Rangers).
Marty Reasoner: Don't see him being an upgrade over any of our current forwards.
Max Talbot: Maybe for the fourth line - but again - don't see him as an upgrade to any of our current guys.
Jeff Halpern: If we couldn't sign Fiddler - maybe. But his best days are behind him.

A guy who sounds like he is becoming available is Artem Anisimov, as the Rangers apparently try to clear space for signing Brad Richards. Considering GMDM's penchant for dealing with Sather, we might ship a second rounder to the Rangers for this improving pivot.

As for Chris Drury - no. He's done. If we signed him for $900,000 for one year... might be worth a shot. He might fit into our style of play.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:10 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:Good thread.
From your list these are the guys, in order, I'd prefer to see GMDM sign.
8) Not mentioned here but worth a look - Pascal Dupuis, who'd boost our bottom six forward group.

As for the rest:
Max Talbot: Maybe for the fourth line - but again - don't see him as an upgrade to any of our current guys.
A guy who sounds like he is becoming available is Artem Anisimov, as the Rangers apparently try to clear space for signing Brad Richards. Considering GMDM's penchant for dealing with Sather, we might ship a second rounder to the Rangers for this improving pivot.

I agree with most of the comments except for on Talbot. From what I remember of the games I've seen him play, he did quite well with the minutes he'd been given. I would definitely like to try him out on the 2nd (I think he has the potential to be better than Belanger was in 2010-2011--not that he did poorly) with Whitney (if we can find someone to replace him on the 1st) and Vrbata. Hell, if we can't sign a 1st line center (and Turris doesn't step-up), it'd be interesting to see how he could do with Whitney and Doan. That's a bit overzealous on my part, but if all else fails, I could see him thrive on the 3rd (I don't know what to do with Hanzal, perhaps promote him to the second if we can't find a #1?). That would leave us with Turris-Hanzal-Talbot-Fiddler (if we re-sign him) as centermen, which (albeit scary) may do okay for the upcoming season (given our situation). I definitely see Talbot as better than 4th line duties though.

On Dupuis, I think he'll get a pretty hefty offer given his stats from the 2010-2011 season. Still, I'm guessing he'll be looking for a 3-4 year contract, which I can't imagine we'd offer for a 3rd/2nd liner (which is the role he'd have to play since I'm guessing Biz/pups will be playing LW on the 4th). Still, Perhaps a Dupuis - Turris - Vrbata second line might be interesting as would a 3rd line consisting of Dupuis - Hanzal - Vrbata (Vrbata deserves a 2nd line promotion in my opinion unless we can sign/trade for a decent 2nd line RW or if Boedker is re-signed and can consistently show up).

Anisimov would be a nice addition, but he's an RFA, so if we were to trade a second, I would hope it would be after he has re-signed a contract with the Rags. I suppose a conditional 2nd or 3rd upon signing pick might be worth exploring prior to draft day (if this is possible with RFAs). In terms of signing RFAs, what picks would we lose if we tried to sign him on the market (that the Rags wouldn't match--if they signed Richards)? Of course, at that point we'd probably be competing with others and would easily get out-priced.
CBL

Postby CBL on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Updated article on available forwards:

Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=564620&navid=mod-rr-headlines

Possible acquisitions:

~Tim Connolly--sure he's susceptible to injury, but 55-70 games would be a nice opportunity to try out some pups. His last contract was $4.5 million per (2 years), so, with his breakability, we could probably get him for 2.5-3.0 per for 2 years. He's not the number 1 we need, but might do well as a number 2 :shrugg:

~Zenon Konopka--another interesting option if we lose Fids to free agency. Biz - Konopka - Nokelainen might be interesting
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Interesting point about Connolly. Short of us landing any other center with skill, why not? If he only plays half the season, c'est la vie. Then the kids get a shot.
But we have a playoff club in place and why take a step back? We need guys who don't snap so easily. Shame about Connolly because he has sublime skills but he is sooooo breakable.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:21 pm

If Turris could step into the # 1 spot, Connolly might not be a bad idea for the second, although we have plenty of centers at the moment.

Here is the current breakdown of forwards under contract (or RFA) for next season:

LW
Whitney
Pyatt
Biz

Korpikoski (RFA)
Maclean (RFA)

C
Hanzal
Nokelainen

Turris (RFA)

RW
Doan
Stempniak

Boedker (RFA)

We are definitely in need of some Centers and RWs. I believe Korpi played RW some last season (he also played Center a bit), so that might be okay.

Here are the UFA Forwards: Fiddler (C--sign), Vrbata (RW--sign), Belanger (C--sign for cheap if no one else takes him off the market), Hollweg (LW--Bye bye), and Ebbett (C--bye bye)

Finally, they also have Pouliot listed on the Active roster (C--Contract ended 2010/2011); I guess he might be worth a reasonable contract :shrugg:
CBL

Postby Matzel on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm

I am preparing for another off-season of dumpster diving by crafty GMDM. Sans new ownership there will be no funds to go after anything else but the retreads and reclamation projects of the league.

<sigh>
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:34 am

Ditto - SIGH.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Lils17 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:09 am

If sucks that the Coyotes have to dumpster dive for FAs, especially since they do have a beautiful arena and nice weather.
Lils17
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:40 pm

And a pretty darned competitive team, too. Just a few pieces shy of being a contender. A star No. 1 center, a No. 1 goalie, a 30 plus goal scoring winger and a forward eating defender who keeps our crease clear of fat asses, such as those belonging to the likes of Tomas Holmstrom.
Okay, that's a few pieces to find... and with the hideous ownership blight, we're going to have to watch our club take a step back next season.
Can't for the life of me see how the dogs are going to be able to maintain forward momentum sans a goalie like Bryzgalov the Assumptive, and possibly losing Fiddler, Jovo and Vrbata, and maybe even Yandle.
Turris, given the ice time, will double his point totals next season. Korpedo might take another step forward. Boedker will be better. Ditto MacLean. OEL should be a bit better.
It is vital that we re-sign Yandle - ASAP - to send out the message that Phoenix is serious about keeping things moving forward. The NHL has got to let GMDM spend some money, otherwise this club is finished. The last thing this team needs is taking a step back. That won't help put paying bums in the seats.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Re: Wingers (for 'Yotes)

Postby CBL on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:44 pm

looking back at a few articles, I hope we can make some offers to a few wingers. Notably, I was looking at Upshall and Jussi Jokinen (yes both). that would make for an interesting second line:

J. Jokinen - Turris - Upshall.

Of course we'd still need a first line center. Thus (if we can re-sign a few):

Whitney - ?? - Doan
Jokinen - Turris - Upshall
Pyatt - Hanzal - Vrbata/Korpikoski/Boedker
Biz - Nokelainen - Stempniak

Now, if we wanted to be creative (and lose Vrbata to someone else):
Whitney - Turris - Doan
Jokinen - Korpikoski - Upshall
Pyatt - Hanzal - Boedker
Biz - Nokelainen - Stempniak
CBL

Postby BigGumby on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Jokinen re-signed with the Canes, so he's out. :(
“We didn’t go into the playoffs through the back door. We kicked the door down."

--GM Don Maloney

"Note: Dave Tippett's quotes play a Dave Tippett system."

--Harrison Mooney (Puck Daddy)
BigGumby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby CBL on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:32 pm

It was worth hoping for, even briefly
CBL

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors