Forwards worth considering (for 2011-2012 'Yotes)

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Re: Forwards worth considering (for 2011-2012 'Yotes)

Postby Kaibur on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:00 pm

I'd actually do that trade, even if Nabokov wasn't included. The key piece is Bailey, because we're in desperate need of a center and not all of our wingers are going to make the team, even though they're all NHL quality/ready. Burke convinced Maloney to go out and get Smith, so I assume they're ready to roll the dice on Smith as a #1.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby RemoAZ on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Matzel wrote:
Kaibur wrote:Maclean, Rozsival and Philly's 3rd for Bailey & Nabokov. Then sign Campoli for about $2m on a one year.

Please do send this idea off to GMDM because I think that's about the best we could hope for:

- get rid off Rozsi, who did not impress in his time in PHX;
- Trade MacLean, who has potential but it is questionable if he will ever develop into a legit scorer in the show;
- Philly's 3rd round draft pick could well be a late pick and at that spot most picks become a gamble;
- Bailey fits coach Tip's system to a 'T' - intelligent two-way player with scoring instincts and a decent pass - and only 21 years old;
- Nabokov is the veteran goalie who could instill the kind of confidence our previous Russian 'njetminder' gave the dogs - what's not to like? One of Smith / LaBarbara becomes expendable following training camp and pre-season for a depth player and/or a pick;

Unfortunately, I think if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. The Isles would probably not do this and who knows, Nabby may not even want to play in PHX, either...

It would be criminal to trade Mac before he gets a legit shot. We're not nearly talented enough to trade away a guy who is a proven scorer at every level without giving him a shot. If we were getting back a top line player that would be the only thing worth considering in my opinion. You're trading him for a 21 year old in this scenario. What's the odds Tippett even plays the 21 year old? Also, Smith was their guy whether we like it or not. He's getting a shot this season. No two ways about it.
STH: 109 Row C Seats 1 & 2
RemoAZ
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Matzel on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:38 am

RemoAZ wrote:
Matzel wrote:
Kaibur wrote:Maclean, Rozsival and Philly's 3rd for Bailey & Nabokov. Then sign Campoli for about $2m on a one year.

Please do send this idea off to GMDM because I think that's about the best we could hope for:

- Trade MacLean, who has potential but it is questionable if he will ever develop into a legit scorer in the show;
- Philly's 3rd round draft pick could well be a late pick and at that spot most picks become a gamble;
- Bailey fits coach Tip's system to a 'T' - intelligent two-way player with scoring instincts and a decent pass - and only 21 years old;
- Nabokov is the veteran goalie who could instill the kind of confidence our previous Russian 'njetminder' gave the dogs - what's not to like? One of Smith / LaBarbara becomes expendable following training camp and pre-season for a depth player and/or a pick;

Unfortunately, I think if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. The Isles would probably not do this and who knows, Nabby may not even want to play in PHX, either...

It would be criminal to trade Mac before he gets a legit shot. We're not nearly talented enough to trade away a guy who is a proven scorer at every level without giving him a shot. If we were getting back a top line player that would be the only thing worth considering in my opinion. You're trading him for a 21 year old in this scenario. What's the odds Tippett even plays the 21 year old? Also, Smith was their guy whether we like it or not. He's getting a shot this season. No two ways about it.

I am not sold on Smith but I would love to be completely wrong on this one... ;)

As far as MacLean is concerned, he certainly could still break out. We just need some tangible pieces *now*...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kaibur on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:06 am

RemoAZ wrote:
Matzel wrote:

No, it would be criminal to expose Mac to waivers and give him away for free. That would be criminal. Like stealing. And that's a distinct possibility right now. Whitney, Vrbata, Doan, Korpi, Stempniak, Boedker, Torres, Pyatt, Noki, Biznasty and Tikhonov. I'd say Mac is going to be hard pressed to beat out some of those guys, particularly because he needs to be in a top 6 role to excel at what he does. I know you're a fan of his and pushing for him to make the team - I am too and have been for awhile. I was at the LA game too and I was stoked to see him get his first goal. But unless we move one of the other wingers, Mac's probably going to hit waivers and I'm sure he won't make it through. So we might as well explore what options are out there, and I think Mac is a very attractive piece to a team like the Isles. It's essentially moving from a position of strength for a position we're weak at.

Bailey's no slouch and he's only 21. Turris-Bailey-Hanzal up the middle looks pretty attractive and the kind of center depth you could build the forward corps around. NYI have a lot of center depth as well. If I'm not mistaken, they sit at Tavares-Nielsen-Bailey-Reasoner and I would assume that if they sign Yashin, either one of them shifts to the wing or they look to make a trade. I think both teams make out pretty well in this trade, though it does leave us with only 2 righty defensemen. We could take Nabokov out of there and I'd still make the trade.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:42 am

Bailey would be an okay addition but over time we might regret trading Mac away. I can see him blossoming into a 20-25 plus goal scorer down the road.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Kaibur on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:Bailey would be an okay addition but over time we might regret trading Mac away. I can see him blossoming into a 20-25 plus goal scorer down the road.

Again, we may regret trading him away, but we're definitely going to regret putting him through waivers and giving him away. You have to give to get and we need a center, unless we're planning on making Korpi a full time center (which GMDM did make mention of a few weeks back). And there's just not a lot of teams out there with a plethora of centers to trade with.

Looking back at the package Toronto gave up for Lombardi and Franson, I wish we would have made that gamble.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:48 am

Yeah, there have been flimsy trades that had we made, our front 12 would be looking much better.
Agreed about not losing Mac for nowt. That'd suck.
This O'Sullivan signing gives me major pause. What the heck? GMDM must be up to something, in terms of trading a prospect or two.
Anyone heard anything about Turris signing? I know I've disappeared off the grid a few times in the last few weeks but I don't think I've seen anything about the lad being re-signed. Maybe a Turris/Maclean package is being thrown together? :shrugg:
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Kaibur on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:38 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:Yeah, there have been flimsy trades that had we made, our front 12 would be looking much better.
This O'Sullivan signing gives me major pause. What the heck? GMDM must be up to something, in terms of trading a prospect or two.
Anyone heard anything about Turris signing? I know I've disappeared off the grid a few times in the last few weeks but I don't think I've seen anything about the lad being re-signed. Maybe a Turris/Maclean package is being thrown together? :shrugg:

The ESPN.com rumor section has Turris and Boedker re-signing to an extension soon. I'm sure it was somewhat difficult to determine their fair market values, since they both bounced back and forth since signing their ELCs.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby boedkersuperfan on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 am

Kaibur wrote:
Robert Earthpig wrote:Yeah, there have been flimsy trades that had we made, our front 12 would be looking much better.

The ESPN.com rumor section has Turris and Boedker re-signing to an extension soon. I'm sure it was somewhat difficult to determine their fair market values, since they both bounced back and forth since signing their ELCs.

wow, yeah i just read that myself. the first news about them signing. i have been waiting so anxiously. i really hope it's only 1 year deals. i want them to have the freedom next season if they choose to go elsewhere. if they don't get good ice time this season, i'm sure they would go somewhere else.
PLEASE GIVE BOEDKER FULL TIME NHL DUTY!! HE DESERVES IT!!!!
boedkersuperfan
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:28 pm

You are right. They'd be wise to sign one year deals. The sticking points are probably GMDM offering longer term deals! Sheesh.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Kaibur on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:59 am

Michael Nylander is supposedly looking for an NHL job. He'll be 39 at the start of the season and I'm not personally interested. But I honestly don't believe we can go into the season without adding a legit top 9 center either. And I just don't see any on the FA market. Would you give him a try for league minimum and then waive him if he doesn't work out?
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby boedkersuperfan on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:35 am

Kaibur wrote:Michael Nylander is supposedly looking for an NHL job. He'll be 39 at the start of the season and I'm not personally interested. But I honestly don't believe we can go into the season without adding a legit top 9 center either. And I just don't see any on the FA market. Would you give him a try for league minimum and then waive him if he doesn't work out?

oh god no!! no "circles". trust me, watching every caps game the last few years, and when he was playing, he provides almost nothing. he literally gets the puck, does like 5 circles then loses it...hense his nickname "circles".
PLEASE GIVE BOEDKER FULL TIME NHL DUTY!! HE DESERVES IT!!!!
boedkersuperfan
Prospect
Prospect

Postby CBL on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 am

Kaibur wrote: Would you give him a try for league minimum and then waive him if he doesn't work out?

Sure, why not? Although if we waived him and no one picks him up, would he be sent to Portland or perhaps go overseas. Either way, how much would we be paying him in either of those circumstances?

Honestly, at this point, we'd be better off finding someone via trade than signing an FA given those that are "available"
CBL

Postby Kaibur on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 am

CBL wrote:
Kaibur wrote: Would you give him a try for league minimum and then waive him if he doesn't work out?

Honestly, at this point, we'd be better off finding someone via trade than signing an FA given those that are "available"

I'm still thinking that it might be better to go after a young center who is on the cusp, rather than an established player. Our best bet is finding a team that has some center depth, but lacks defensive depth/prospects. I was thinking maybe Max Sauve from the Bruins or Zac Dalpe from the Canes. Former 2nd rounder centermen on the cusp of NHL action who've had fairly good development curves. Maybe give up Summers, Goncharov or Stone.

Reason I was thinking Nylander was he might be a patch until mid-season/trade deadline, when a guy like Scott Gomez's actual salary is about to go down (in comparison to his cap hit). But if we're going to go in that direction, we might as well let Korpikoski or Tikhonov man the center post on the third line.

I'm still convinced that Miele will need time at the AHL level to show he can handle the pro game.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Gotta say nyet to Nylander.
I'd rather we brought Robert Lang back!
If we're going to trade good prospects, I'd rather GMDM swung for the fences and went after a top nine pivot, rather than someone else's maybes.
Josh Bailey is certainly targetable on the Island.
The Wings could use some defensive depth and with our glut of high end blueline prospects, we might be able to steal Filppula from the Wings...?
We could trade a sixth rounder to the Flames for Stajan. They'd love to punt his salary - $3.5 mill to be a fourth liner. He would upgrade our center depth but wouldn't be an option for a first line center.
Still think Turris should be given an honest shot at the job.
However, I would not be surprised if GMDM did something wild like trade Turris and a high draft pick, along with a player like Ross or Schlemko.
Here's a scenario... Turris and Schlemko to the Jets for Bryan Little and Zach Bogosian. Chuckle.
But... how about Turris and Schlemko to the Avs for Stastny?
Or to the Pens for Jordan Staal.
Or to NJ for Parise... :shrugg:
The dogs can take on heaps of salary.
Still, I just know that if the dogs traded Turris he'd explode into a star player.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors