UFA Defensemen to consider adding to the 'Yote roster

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

UFA Defensemen to consider adding to the 'Yote roster

Postby CBL on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:44 pm

This one will be shorter, since we are pretty much set for next season here. Still, we do need at least 1 decent D through the FA market (or a trade).

Top picks (in no particular order of preference):
A. Markov: sort of a gamble, but might be an excellent option. His last contract was 4 years, so a 3 year offer might work well. Of course we'd have to pay a bit for him, but if we get a decent (and reasonably-priced) goalie, it might be in the cards.

T. Kaberle: We probably won't get him, but it would be nice to add one more scoring D man to our lineup. Perhaps a 4 year contract would interest him (although he'll probably land a longer-term one than that)?

J. Pitkanen: A bit on the pricey side (I'm guessing), but I could see him easily replace Jovo's "loss" to free agency.

C. Ehrhoff: I can dream can't I? It won't happen, but would be a welcomed addition to our blue line.

J. Ericcson: We could use a bit more size and toughness.

Other than the above, I don't see much of interest (and would rather us rely on our current depth for a season or two).
CBL

Re: UFA Defensemen to consider adding to the 'Yote roster

Postby Matzel on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Definitely on board with the suggestion of Ehrhoff. :biggrin:

No thanks on Kaberle: One dimensional, offensive d-man, prone to defensive mistakes, have no place in Coach Tippett's system.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kaibur on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:15 pm

We're not exactly going to be a UFA destination hotspot this offseason and if you include Yandle, we have 7 defensemen under one-way contracts as it is, without even negotiating with Jovo. Unless there's a trade in the works, I don't imagine we'll even try to sign any FA D-men.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:46 am

Of that list only Pitknanen and Ehroff appeal.
Markov is made of glass. Otherwise he wouldn't even be available. Damn good player but just too fragile to spend large bucks on.
Kaberle: OH GOD NO. Give the puck away Kaberle... nyet.
Ericcson: Don't see him as any kind of upgrade over our current group.

J. Pitkanen: He'd be pricy but worth it. Would give us another gun from the point.
C. Ehrhoff: He was god awful along with the rest of the Canucks' blueline last night (how about Ballard :shock: ugh) but he'd be an upgrade to our blueline for sure.

Other UFA blueliners worth considering:
- James Wisniewski -only 27 and improving each year it seems.
- Kevin Bieksa - unlikely but we 'stole' Jovo from the Canucks a few years back when it was completely unexpected.

OR - just resign Jovo for hometown discount, likely cheaper than any of the guys mentioned and he knows the team/system.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Kaibur on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:00 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:Other UFA blueliners worth considering:
- James Wisniewski -only 27 and improving each year it seems.

OR - just resign Jovo for hometown discount, likely cheaper than any of the guys mentioned and he knows the team/system.

Don't you remember Wisniewski's flying elbow that knocked Doaner senseless? There's no way I see him coming to this club after that heinous move.

If we re-sign Jovo, or ANY of these other UFA guys you're all talking about, which of the following do we trade?

Yandle
Morris
Klesla
Rozsival
Aucoin
OEL
Schlemko

That's 7 defensemen on one-way contracts, so any signing means somebody's getting traded. I like Schlemko as the number 7 because he's dirt cheap and capable in a pinch. Plus, Summers and Goncharov are going to need looks at some point this season. Not to mention Gormley could make the squad.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 am

It's a great problem to have.

The obvious guy to remove would be Rozsival, then Morris. Keep the rest. Aucoin is inching toward retirement and OEL, Schlemko and Gormley give the dogs wicked young depth, not to mention the presence of Summers, Goncharov and Mike Stone.
Wisniewski plays with an edge, which is what I like about him, along with his solid offensive instincts.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:26 am

Kaibur wrote:
If we re-sign Jovo, or ANY of these other UFA guys you're all talking about, which of the following do we trade?

Yandle
Morris
Klesla
Rozsival
Aucoin
OEL
Schlemko

That's 7 defensemen on one-way contracts, so any signing means somebody's getting traded.

I'd trade Morris or Klesla in a pinch (if anyone wanted them).

OEL might be a good candidate to trade as well (at least several teams would be interested in him as opposed to the rest of our D--excluding Yandle of course), but we'd have to get a promising Center in return. I know he's young and has a ton of potential, but he's at least 3 years away from being a top line D-man. So, in my opinion, we have several others that could play on the 2nd/3rd blue line pairings in the system within the next few seasons, so unless he is a bit closer to 1st line duties, I say we trade him for a young and upcoming centerman (that could play on at least the 2nd forward line within about the same time--2-3 seasons).
CBL

Postby Kaibur on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 am

Both Morris and Rozy have limited NTC. Plus, Rozy's caphit is $5M, even though he's only making $3M this season. Without his caphit, I don't think we make the capfloor without bringing in a pretty significant contract. Not to mention they're both right-handed, which we're short on.

I honestly can't believe you said OEL! It would take a pretty crazy overpayment for me to even think about it. At 19, the guy already looks pretty close. I won't be surprised if he's getting top 4 minutes by the end of the season - as a 20 year old. I'm pretty satisfied with our D. I'm hoping that they can get Summers, Goncharov and maybe Stone a few games in. Then at the trade deadline or in the offseason next year (when the ownership will be settled. right? I mean it can't go on another year. Can it?) when Rozy and Aucoin come off the books, we maybe have one of the prospects make the team and sign an UFA guy. But this season I feel like we're set going into the year. The focus should all be on the offense and finding a replacement for Bryz.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby CBL on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 am

Kaibur wrote:Both Morris and Rozy have limited NTC. Plus, Rozy's caphit is $5M, even though he's only making $3M this season. Without his caphit, I don't think we make the capfloor without bringing in a pretty significant contract. Not to mention they're both right-handed, which we're short on.

I honestly can't believe you said OEL! It would take a pretty crazy overpayment for me to even think about it. At 19, the guy already looks pretty close. I won't be surprised if he's getting top 4 minutes by the end of the season - as a 20 year old. I'm pretty satisfied with our D. I'm hoping that they can get Summers, Goncharov and maybe Stone a few games in. Then at the trade deadline or in the offseason next year (when the ownership will be settled. right? I mean it can't go on another year. Can it?) when Rozy and Aucoin come off the books, we maybe have one of the prospects make the team and sign an UFA guy. But this season I feel like we're set going into the year. The focus should all be on the offense and finding a replacement for Bryz.

Don't get me wrong, I think OEL has the potential, but it may take 2-3 more seasons to play as one of the top 4. I would like to keep him, but you asked who would you trade to make room for a UFA, and unfortunately he's the only D-man besides Yandle (who I feel is off-limits), who wouldn't be worth trading to sign any of the available UFAs (except possibly Ehrhoff, but I'd hope we'd get something else spectacular in addition to Yandle in return).

All I know is that I'm looking at our D and we need something to bolster it a bit. Currently:
Yandle - Morris
Rozsival - Aucoin
Klesla - OEL/Schlemko

While this isn't horrible, it isn't as strong as it needs to be. Thus, all we can trade (since Morris and Rozy have limited NTCs) is Aucoin (who no one would be interested in at his age/price next season), Klesla (again, I can't imagine too many takers on him either especially considering the length of his remaining contract), Schlemko (we couldn't get rid of him last season, who would be interested now? Plus he's a cheap 7th D-man although we could probably send him down to the A without him getting snagged on the wire if we wanted to bring some pups up), and OEL. Of those 4, the only one of value is OEL.

Now, I could see us try to move Rozsival (since he can only list 8 teams he wouldn't want to be traded to), but like you said, who could take the cap hit (besides maybe Florida, Carolina, Colorado, or Winnipeg)? Of course, I'd like to see him stay here for another season to see what he can do (he definitely fits our "Defense First" mentality).
CBL

Postby CBL on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:51 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:Markov is made of glass. Otherwise he wouldn't even be available. Damn good player but just too fragile to spend large bucks on.

I thought about that, but prior to the last two seasons, he's played a pretty decent number of games per season.

Who knows, maybe we could pay a reduced salary and build him a place over some energy vortexes in Sedona :P

All kidding aside, due to his glassiness the last 2 seasons, we might be able to get him for a decent amount. If he does miss a few games here and there, at least we have depth at the position and would be able to give some of our up and comers some NHL experience.
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:14 am

I think we'd really howl over the trading of OEL in a few years. He smacks me of being as potentially good as Tobias Enstrom, maybe better. Having OEL and Yandle on our backend moving forward, with a hopefully quality guy in Gormley, as well, our defence is set for a decade. We still need a monster crusher on the point who can handle No. 3/4 minutes, because those three are not going to be beasts of the backend.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Lils17 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:I think we'd really howl over the trading of OEL in a few years. He smacks me of being as potentially good as Tobias Enstrom, maybe better. Having OEL and Yandle on our backend moving forward, with a hopefully quality guy in Gormley, as well, our defence is set for a decade. We still need a monster crusher on the point who can handle No. 3/4 minutes, because those three are not going to be beasts of the backend.
Isn't Musil considered a thumper, might be a guy to look at in the second round of the draft.
Lils17
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah, Musil is a big lad with blood lines. But none of the guys who will be left when we pick at 20 is worth the gamble. I'd rather we gambled on an offensive player - a good center or a power forward/scoring winger. There seem to be lots of them available in this draft so bag the best player available at No. 20.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Not that we need anymore D, but here's an updated article on UFA D-men:
Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=564586&navid=mod-rr-headlines
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Hamerlik and Hannan would be good pick ups for a year or two.
But... go with what you've got, which is a pretty solid blueline with good young'uns ready to step in.
SIGN a forward or two who can SCORE!
Bring Upshall back, at the least. His speed was missed and he'll score 20 plus goals.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors