Some realistic trade ideas

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Some realistic trade ideas

Postby Kaibur on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Here's a couple:

Klesla back to Columbus for Brassard

Rozsival, Maclean & 2012 2nd rounder to NYI for Bailey

Turris & Summers to Carolina for Boychuk and McBain
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Re: Some realistic trade ideas

Postby CBL on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Kaibur wrote: Klesla back to Columbus for Brassard

I know we'd have to give up something to improve the team, but not one of our best D-men of the season (so far). Sure, Yandle, Schlemko, and Aucoin have been doing well (and OEL has improved from last season), but I'd rather not move Klesla at this time. Now, Rozsival & Morris for Brassard would work :P Of course that can't happen unless DeMo waives his NTC, CLM doesn't appear on Rozsival's NTC list, and Columbus's GM was completely insane :)

Kaibur wrote:Rozsival, Maclean & 2012 2nd rounder to NYI for Bailey

I don't see how this improves the team (right now), we have too many underachieving Centers as is. Admittedly, Roz is injured and Mac is in the A so we don't really lose anything in that trade, but I don't see why we'd need to pull the trigger on that deal at this point in time. Maybe closer to the trade deadline, but no need for it now (unless the Isles were in desperate need of a mediocre & high-dollar D-man).

Kaibur wrote:Turris & Summers to Carolina for Boychuk and McBain

I can't see this one either (at this point in the season). Neither of those players adds much to the team (although they both may have decent upside). I also think giving up Turris in that deal is giving up too much. We should at least wait and see if he can improve over the next month or so. If he's still under-performing (a la Mueller), we can probably get a better deal elsewhere.

Of course, I'm not much of a prospect watcher, so I could be way off on the above possibilities; I'm more commenting on if any of these deals would help us this season. Of all of the players you mention, the only one I'd see as possibly being able to help us this season is Brassard, but I'm not sure where he'd end up unless we moved Turris or Gordon. Now, while potentially having Langkow, Hanzal, Brassard, and Turris as Centers is tempting, we need to keep doing well in the faceoff circle, so, I guess I could see a Turris for Brassard trade, but I think we should wait a bit before pulling the trigger on that one.
CBL

Postby Kaibur on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Klesla has been good this year, it's true. But he's had a history of suffering injuries to where he rarely plays a full season. Not wishing against him, just noticing a historical trend. I'm also thinking about these deals more with an eye to the future as I don't see this as a Cup contending team and that's what I think we should be focusing on. Next year on defense we have Yandle, OEL, Klesla, Schlemko, Summers and Gormley as lefties that should make the team and are currently under contract and only Morris (and Goncharov and Stone) as righties. To me that's a pretty serious imbalance. At some point down the line we're going to have to move a leftie and I doubt it will be Yandle, OEL or Gormley. Six months ago we acquired Klesla for two impending FAs that aren't even with CBJ now. Klesla and Brassard's contracts are very similar in hit and term as well. I tend to see it as buying low from a position of strength. It's also acceptable from a BJ's POV.

If Turris is really not long for this team, I'd rather find his center replacement elsewhere. It's pretty difficult to trade one center with 1C upside for another, and that's what Maloney said he'd look for in return.

The other two trades I'm not so convinced of really. I just tend to think that Bailey could be an asset here and could probably be acquired without moving a blue chip. And I really like McBain and I think he'd be a fantastic right-handed young Dman to come up with the rest of our young D corps.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Not sold on Brassard. Too much underachieving going on with him.

Agree on Turris. Now that we have him signed, let's play the snot out of him and see what he can do. If he's still a whiny turd after the season, and he's put on solid numbers making GMs all the more interested, then trade him for maximum benefit. I know Turris is going to become a top end point producer. Just wish he'd get start making strides toward that territory.

Bailey - we'd be giving up too much for him alone.

I just can't see many trade scenarios, short of a monster deal, that would help our team right now. They're playing pretty well - so don't shake it up too much etc. IF GMDM could land a big fish, just because one is dangled or comes swimming by, go for it.

We have to remember Miele - the kid is showing Briere-esque numbers on the farm (the type Briere posted when he played for Springfield). He'll be back for good at the start of next year, I reckon. IF Turris shows good stuff and wants to stay, with Miele and Hanzal, that could be a pretty wicked top three core of centers as long the two young'uns DO mature and CAN play those kind of minutes.

Decisions... decisions...
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors