Who will be on the move?

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Who will be on the move?

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 am

Phoenix is floundering and I don't see this team pulling out of its nosedive. Hope I am proven horribly wrong, but...

That said - with the trade deadline five weeks away, and GMDM being a busy dude on those days, who is going to be on his way out Feb. 27?

As the dogs have a wealth of NHL d-men, I suspect we'll be dishing off a couple of our veteran defenders. If Aucoin is healthy, he'll be sent to a contender (Detroit?) to bolster their depth. Likely return? A fourth rounder.
Morris could also be dealt to a contender needing depth. Philly could come calling. Return? A fourth rounder.
And Rozsival will also likely be dished off - also to a contender. Return? Third rounder, maybe.
Up front, the most likely trade candidate will be Langkow being sent to a contender - and again, the return won't be huge. Third rounder at most.
I can also see the dogs punting Torres to a contender for a bag of once-used pucks. Boston would be a good destination for him.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Re: Who will be on the move?

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Here's a dude the dogs could land for Brett MacLean and a second rounder.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Actually, if we are still floundering by mid-February, most likely the following will be dished:
1. Doan-He pretty much said he would be willing if the PHX situation is still in flux. My guess is he'd go to a contender, but may re-sign here in the offseason (if we have an owner)
2. Whitney--He seems like he'd be interested in going somewhere else as well if we were in dire straits.
3. Boedker--possibly (even though he's improving with more ice time)
4. Langkow--I agree, he'd go elsewhere
5. Klesla--He's our only decent D-man that could make a significant impact on a team (that we'd be willing to part with)
6. Brule--Even though he hasn't been with us long, I could see us moving him to a team that needs a 3rd liner
7. Torres--Easily could see him go as well, but I think he'd pull more than used pucks :P
8. Chipchurra--Could definitely help a team that needs a bit of grit going into the playoffs
9. O'Sullivan/O'Reilly--could be dished to a team needing to improve their 4th lines
10. Biz--to a team that needs a bit of attitude to get them into the playoffs; I honestly don't know why he's still here since we so rarely play him (thanks to Torres and Chip).

In terms of some of the others you mention...
Morris--I can't imagine anyone would be interested in him unless they are REALLY desperate. Perhaps one of the bubble teams would take that chance?
Rozsival--Same here, although he is decent, I don't think he would provide much of an edge (although a bubble team might go for it)
Aucoin--Again, not sure who would be interested unless they needed some veteran presence on a team of youthful D-men
CBL

Postby Kaibur on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:35 pm

They need to decide if they're coming or going. 6-10-4 in their last 20. I know they rely heavily on Smith and Hanzal and the injuries have been an important part to the decline, but if you're relying that heavily on a couple of guys, don't be surprised when you suffer from their losses.

Even when healthy, I don't think this team can win a playoff round as currently configured, especially if they sneak in at the #7 or 8 spot. Yet Maloney still hasn't made a move except the dumpster diving, which has been about 50/50 and only bottom 6 quality. Chipchura's been good, POS & COR were not, MAP and Brule haven't gotten enough games in but look like they're contributing a little something. But they still need to do something about that league-worst PP if they want to have ANY success in the playoffs (or to even think about getting to the dance).

Here's my wishful thinking:

Morris ($2.75 X 2) to VAN for Ballard ($4.2 X 3)
Ballard ($4.2 X 3) & Labarbera ($1.25 X 1) & Murphy (ELC) to CLB for Brassard ($3.2 X 2) & Mason ($2.9 X 1)

Morris has been pretty bad this year, including continuing to miss the net on his big blast "shots" which is why he has the fewest SOG of any of the core defensemen, as well as being the worst +/- on the team by a margin at -13. He probably wouldn't waive to go to Columbus, but Vancouver's probably not on his limited NTC list. Vancouver could save a little cash and term and get a vet RHD that they need for depth. Ballard doesn't have a NTC and Columbus could use a Dman like him. They also save some cash, get rid of two underperforming players, and get a hometown prospect. Plus Brassard's agent made it sound very much like he wants out of Ohio. Brassard is still young, has a lot of upside, and is at the position we badly need. Plus he's a PP performer that would be a point behind Whitney, tied with Vrbata and Yandle and a point ahead of Doan on the PP. Mason is a big, young goalie whose a little overpaid, but Burke could likely work with to good effect and would almost certainly do a better job than Babs has in the backup role. The difference in cash (per annum, not prorated) would be $2.1 (minus Murphy's signing bonus). I'd of course be willing to exclude Vancouver from this deal, I just don't think Morris would willingly go to Columbus.

I'd also like to see Rozsival and Pyatt moved, although I'm not sure who would take them. Neither has contributed much and could be moved for picks or prospects to save enough money to make other deals work. I do think Rozsival has been decent with Summers the last two games though. Maybe with Jovo going down for two months Florida would be interested in Rozy?
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Kaibur on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:41 pm

CBL wrote:Actually, if we are still floundering by mid-February, most likely the following will be dished:
1. Doan-He pretty much said he would be willing if the PHX situation is still in flux. My guess is he'd go to a contender, but may re-sign here in the offseason (if we have an owner)
2. Whitney--He seems like he'd be interested in going somewhere else as well if we were in dire straits.
3. Boedker--possibly (even though he's improving with more ice time)
4. Langkow--I agree, he'd go elsewhere
5. Klesla--He's our only decent D-man that could make a significant impact on a team (that we'd be willing to part with)
6. Brule--Even though he hasn't been with us long, I could see us moving him to a team that needs a 3rd liner
7. Torres--Easily could see him go as well, but I think he'd pull more than used pucks :P
8. Chipchurra--Could definitely help a team that needs a bit of grit going into the playoffs
9. O'Sullivan/O'Reilly--could be dished to a team needing to improve their 4th lines
10. Biz--to a team that needs a bit of attitude to get them into the playoffs; I honestly don't know why he's still here since we so rarely play him (thanks to Torres and Chip).

In terms of some of the others you mention...
Morris--I can't imagine anyone would be interested in him unless they are REALLY desperate. Perhaps one of the bubble teams would take that chance?
Rozsival--Same here, although he is decent, I don't think he would provide much of an edge (although a bubble team might go for it)
Aucoin--Again, not sure who would be interested unless they needed some veteran presence on a team of youthful D-men

Brule, Chipchura, POS & COR have all been on waivers. If somebody wanted them, they could have them for free, so why would the trade anything beyond a 7th round pick for them? Nonsense.

I'd like to see a link where Doan said that, because I've never heard it and GMDM called it bologna just last week.

If the team is out of the race - which I doubt, because Tippett teams have a tendency of at least picking up enough points to be in it - I could see them asking Whitney if and where he'd like to go. He'd possibly fetch a late 1st or a 2nd & mid-level prospect. Ditto with Langkow and probably more like a 3rd.

The only way I move Boedker or Klesla is for something significant. They've both played very well. Klesla is our best shutdown D at present and I could see Boedker breaking out any day now; he's certainly getting some good chances.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby CBL on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Brule: I believe we picked Brule up on waivers? I'm guessing we had a decent waiver status when we did that. If he continues to play as he has since arriving here, there could easi;y be some interest at the end of February

Chip: He's done exceedingly well this season since we picked him up. Are you saying no one would be interested in adding him to their team as they near the playoffs? I didn't say we'd get a 2nd for him, just that someone might be interested

O'Sullivan: You're right on that one, I doubt anyone would want him; Id go back and delete that number in the list, but he might be a good bonus in the right deal.

O'Reilly: He's done decently while here, but he could be an okay "add-on" for the right deal.

In terms of the Doan/Whitney takes, I posted this article elsewhere--Link about Situation with PHX.

The Doan comments are probably reading between the lines on my part, but if PHX doesn't have ownership in place and we're sitting somewhere between 13th and 15th in the west by 2/27, I could see him waive his NMC to go to a contender. The man deserves a shot at the cup at this point in his career and I think it would be an excellent opportunity for him. As much as I dread seeing him in another team's Red (or possibly Blue) jersey (hint hint), he would be a nice addition for a playoff run. Of course I'd expect him to return to PHX if ownership is settled in the offseason (and the team isn't relocated).

In terms of Whitney, although he can be a bit smarmy, his comments in the article certainly indicate as if he'd like to be elsewhere if we aren't in contention this season.
CBL

Postby Kaibur on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:29 pm

CBL wrote:Brule: I believe we picked Brule up on waivers? I'm guessing we had a decent waiver status when we did that. If he continues to play as he has since arriving here, there could easi;y be some interest at the end of February

Chip: He's done exceedingly well this season since we picked him up. Are you saying no one would be interested in adding him to their team as they near the playoffs? I didn't say we'd get a 2nd for him, just that someone might be interested

O'Sullivan: You're right on that one, I doubt anyone would want him; Id go back and delete that number in the list, but he might be a good bonus in the right deal.

O'Reilly: He's done decently while here, but he could be an okay "add-on" for the right deal.

In terms of the Doan/Whitney takes, I posted this article elsewhere--Link about Situation with PHX.

The Doan comments are probably reading between the lines on my part, but if PHX doesn't have ownership in place and we're sitting somewhere between 13th and 15th in the west by 2/27, I could see him waive his NMC to go to a contender. The man deserves a shot at the cup at this point in his career and I think it would be an excellent opportunity for him. As much as I dread seeing him in another team's Red (or possibly Blue) jersey (hint hint), he would be a nice addition for a playoff run. Of course I'd expect him to return to PHX if ownership is settled in the offseason (and the team isn't relocated).

In terms of Whitney, although he can be a bit smarmy, his comments in the article certainly indicate as if he'd like to be elsewhere if we aren't in contention this season.

Brule was picked up on re-entry and the good word on the street is that other teams put a claim in but were above us. If we wanted to trade him, we'd have to offer him to every team that put in a claim above us before we could make the move.

Chip might be worth a 5th. POS is worthless. I don't think we could even get a 4th back for COR, but that was a calculated risk in case we let Turris sit out the year.

Doan would command a very good return, but it would be for the Quebec Nordiques, at which point I will stop following this franchise.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Good points.
Whitney would definitely be an attractive pick up for a team needing scoring depth heading into the playoffs. And he could fetch us a decent young player. Perhaps Tyler Bozak from Toronto. Patrick Berglund from St. Loo. Vancouver's first rounder this year. Cody Eakin from Washington. Artem Anisimov from the Rangers. Peter Regin from Ottawa. Nik Antropov from Winnipeg. Zach Hamill from Boston.
Now Doan... hate to see him get traded but he could fetch us a pile as he'd be the Butch Goring for a team heading to the playoffs. Imagine a pumped up and inspired Doan being added to your team heading into the playoffs! When he would be a secondary scorer and not have to be the man... woof.

And if we dealt him and he came back, sweet.

Doan could fetch us...David Krejci and a second rounder from Boston; Brooks Laich and a first rounder from Washington; Travis Zajac and a second rounder from the Devils; Mikhail Grabovski and a first rounder from the Leafs; Cody Hodgson from the Canucks; Joe Pavelski from the Sharks; Jiri Hudler and a first rounder from the Wings; Patrick Berglund and a first rounder from the Blues; Colin Wilson and a prospect from the Preds; Jarret Stoll, Dustin Penner and a second rounder from the Kings; Paul Stastny from the Avs...
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Kaibur on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:Good points.
Whitney would definitely be an attractive pick up for a team needing scoring depth heading into the playoffs. And he could fetch us a decent young player. Perhaps Tyler Bozak from Toronto. Patrick Berglund from St. Loo. Vancouver's first rounder this year. Cody Eakin from Washington. Artem Anisimov from the Rangers. Peter Regin from Ottawa. Nik Antropov from Winnipeg. Zach Hamill from Boston.
Now Doan... hate to see him get traded but he could fetch us a pile as he'd be the Butch Goring for a team heading to the playoffs. Imagine a pumped up and inspired Doan being added to your team heading into the playoffs! When he would be a secondary scorer and not have to be the man... woof.

And if we dealt him and he came back, sweet.

Doan could fetch us...David Krejci and a second rounder from Boston; Brooks Laich and a first rounder from Washington; Travis Zajac and a second rounder from the Devils; Mikhail Grabovski and a first rounder from the Leafs; Cody Hodgson from the Canucks; Joe Pavelski from the Sharks; Jiri Hudler and a first rounder from the Wings; Patrick Berglund and a first rounder from the Blues; Colin Wilson and a prospect from the Preds; Jarret Stoll, Dustin Penner and a second rounder from the Kings; Paul Stastny from the Avs...

Wow. Not to be a jerk, but your sense of trade values is horrendous.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:24 pm

"Wow. Not to be a jerk, but your sense of trade values is horrendous."

And not to be a jerk back, but my sense of trade values ARE horrendous.
And I dare say fans of the teams of the players I mentioned would have differing views, too.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Kaibur on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Would you be willing to do this?

Columbus Dispatch reported Jeff Carter might be moved before his NTC kicks in this off-season. He's 27 and he'll make $6M next year and has a caphit of $5.25M.

Gormley & PHX 1st round pick for Jeff Carter

Columbus fans seem to like it. It would mean replacing Langkow's $4.5M with Carter's $6M, but Carter obviously has the PP and goalscoring ability we badly need and it would leave the core of our young D basically untouched (although I do love Gormley's game and this is a deep draft).
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Matzel on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Kaibur wrote:Would you be willing to do this?

Columbus Dispatch reported Jeff Carter might be moved before his NTC kicks in this off-season. He's 27 and he'll make $6M next year and has a caphit of $5.25M.

Gormley & PHX 1st round pick for Jeff Carter

Columbus fans seem to like it. It would mean replacing Langkow's $4.5M with Carter's $6M, but Carter obviously has the PP and goalscoring ability we badly need and it would leave the core of our young D basically untouched (although I do love Gormley's game and this is a deep draft).

I *LOVE* Gormley... but I would give this a long thought...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kaibur on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:25 pm

What about this one to give Oakie a shot at the Cup?

Aucoin & Goncharov to BOS for Caron & Hamill

Caron could replace Pyatt as a big bodied (but younger) winger in the bottom 6. Hamill's a former first round pick (which GMDM seems to love), but is kind of in the Miele mould. We could re-sign Aucoin if we stay in Phoenix and he so desires. Couple Boston fans seem open to it.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Matzel on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Oakie is a stand-up guy. I have always liked him. Heck, he is (was?!) 'The Closer', having given the Yotes one of the few highlights in more recent history. If he wants to go for a cup somewhere and we're out of the running, wouldn't GMDM let him go?

Oh, btw, I would definitely rather hang onto Gormley and trade Goncharov.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors