Trade Deadline--2012

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Trade Deadline--2012

Postby CBL on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:55 pm

I was just reading through the "Deadline Diner" for today NHL Article and found a few things of interest:

Buffalo
Masisak wrote:The Sabres' needs are another potential dynamic scorer and some size/grit/toughness/etc., but those could be addressed in the summer -- the big thing for Regier now might be to acquire picks/young assets and open up cap room for later.

I could see Boedker & Biz meeting those demands for the Sabres, but I'm not sure what I'd want in return. I suppose I'd consider Pomminville or Vanek, but Boeds has much more long-term upside (still it would be nice to have an additional 50 point scorer to the team besides Whitney and Vrbata).

Columbus
Masisak wrote:"Sources told The Dispatch that the Blue Jackets have had inquiries regarding winger RJ Umberger and center Derick Brassard," Portzline writes.

I doubt we'd pull the trigger on Umberger (due to the length and pricetag of his contract), but Brassard might be worth a looksee. Sure, he hasn't been lighting it up this season (who could in Columbus?), but I could see this as a decent addition.

In terms of what they are looking for:
Masisak wrote:"Fast and competitive," Howson told Portzline. "We want fast, and fast isn't just a player's feet. It's puck movement, it's vision, it's hockey sense, it's hands, it's brains … it's a lot of different things."

Boedker comes to my mind on this. He's 2 years younger than Brassard, but Brassard has been more successful than Boedker this season. Boedker was a #8 and Brassard a #6 pick. I suppose we could throw in a 3rd or 4th to sweeten the pot a bit (if necessary).
CBL

Re: Trade Deadline--2012

Postby Matzel on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 pm

CBL wrote:In terms of what they are looking for:
Masisak wrote:"Fast and competitive," Howson told Portzline. "We want fast, and fast isn't just a player's feet. It's puck movement, it's vision, it's hockey sense, it's hands, it's brains … it's a lot of different things."

Boedker comes to my mind on this. He's 2 years younger than Brassard, but Brassard has been more successful than Boedker this season. Boedker was a #8 and Brassard a #6 pick. I suppose we could throw in a 3rd or 4th to sweeten the pot a bit (if necessary).

Addition while subtracting may not be what the BJs are looking for.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:41 pm

You're probably right there. I guess we could add a young blue liner to the mix.
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Vermette's addition to the team likely means GMDM will be quiet on deadline day. Perhaps a piece for the farm? And I could see him landing another defenseman.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Hulkzilla on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:57 pm

I see the Coyotes getting a Brutish defense man to clear Red Wings out from in front of the goal. Someone who will lay the SMACK-ITH DOWN UPON TEAMS CANDY ASSES.

As a casual Sabre follower I believe they would never trade Pomminville or Vanek they talk of them as part of their "core". More like Roy, or Stafford.
The Liver is EVIL...and Must be Punished
Hulkzilla
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Would have to qualms about us landing either Roy or Stafford. Especially Roy.
Would love to see a center foursome of Roy, Hanzal, Vermette and Gordon. Langkow to the wing on the fourth line.
Hmm... big defenders GMDM could land...Ron Hainsey from the Jets... give 'em Brett MacLean back and a seventh rounder.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors