What would it take to get the 1st overall pick from the Oil?

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Re: What would it take to get the 1st overall pick from the Oil?

Postby cin on Sat May 26, 2012 11:13 am

I agree, slim chances. Hope there is money to take a shot at Parise. And because the chances are slim to land Suter, we need to keep our best d men and the best d prospects.
cin
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sun May 27, 2012 1:41 pm

I think we have to manage our expectations. Highly doubt GMDM can land a big fish, even if he gets the green light to spend and ownership crap is settled somewhat. Not many big fish out there.
IF the ownership thing is settled down, it is possible we could land a top flight player, thanks to this team having had such a great season and so much potential moving forward.
Seriously - who WOULDN'T want to come play for Phoenix if the ownership stuff is resolved? Great culture in place now, great team moving forward and with the addition of a player or two who can light the lamp and provide elite minutes, this be a cup contender.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 am

Coyotes could be looking for trade partner
Friday, 06.01.2012 / 1:07 PM
By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor / Combing the 2012 NHL Combine

TORONTO -- Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney told NHL.com that he's happy with the 27th pick of the first round, but said there's a good chance he will move the pick.

"We're probably more inclined to move the pick one way or the other," he said. "A lot of this stuff gets talked about and dealt with on the draft floor. You look at what might be there. What's the value of dropping some to get an extra pick or two? Does that make sense? Or is there a guy that's sitting there that you might have in your top 12 sitting there at 19 or 20, you say maybe we throw something together to get up. For me, it's really exploring where we can go with it."

Maloney said he's willing to move the pick because the 2012 NHL Draft is considered deep in defensemen, and he feels that's a position of strength in his organization.

"We have a lot of defenseman in our system, young defenseman, that we feel really good with where we're at," he said. "This is a strong [defense] draft. It may be looking at how the forward group is shaping up. If there's a forward that we felt is sliding to a point where we can give up something to get him, that would be my initial thought on that. We're looking hard at a couple of those forwards we like."

Maloney wasn't ready to name names, but said there are four players he and his staff have targeted as players they really like.

However, he said he's not married to the idea of drafting a forward.

"We may get to our pick and it's an average forward and a real good defenseman, and we'll take the defenseman," he said. "That's the attitude we have."
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Kimelman wrote:Maloney wasn't ready to name names, but said there are four players he and his staff have targeted as players they really like.

Looking at the N.A. rankings (not that it is limiting to our scouts), I wouldn't mind seeing any of the following (in the order they are ranked) drafted:

7. Radek Faksa--seems like a decent scoring center and at 6'3 202 lbs, if he was still available around 15, we should be interested (doubtful, but stranger things have happened)
13. Brendan Gaunce--Another decent scoring center at 6'2 215 lbs. He might be closer to NHL ready than some of the others in my post.
15. Thomas Wilson--6'4 203 lb RW. If we can get him back to focusing on scoring, he might be worth the gamble.
20. Martin Frk--6'0 204 lb RW. I'm guessing he is one of the skaters GMDM is looking at. If he's still available at 20 or is still around afterwards, he'd probably be worth trading up. Sure, he's a bit shorter than I'd like to see, but he seems to have a scoring touch.
25. Tanner Pearson--6'0 198 LW. He could easily fall to us or we could try a draft + future considerations deal. The kid seems to be a mad scorer (91 points in 60 games--Barrie) and may need a few years, but seems promising around where we could pick without gutting our team.
CBL

Postby Matzel on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:27 pm

CBL wrote:Looking at the N.A. rankings (not that it is limiting to our scouts), I wouldn't mind seeing any of the following (in the order they are ranked) drafted:

7. Radek Faksa--seems like a decent scoring center and at 6'3 202 lbs, if he was still available around 15, we should be interested (doubtful, but stranger things have happened)
13. Brendan Gaunce--Another decent scoring center at 6'2 215 lbs. He might be closer to NHL ready than some of the others in my post.
15. Thomas Wilson--6'4 203 lb RW. If we can get him back to focusing on scoring, he might be worth the gamble.
20. Martin Frk--6'0 204 lb RW. I'm guessing he is one of the skaters GMDM is looking at. If he's still available at 20 or is still around afterwards, he'd probably be worth trading up. Sure, he's a bit shorter than I'd like to see, but he seems to have a scoring touch.
25. Tanner Pearson--6'0 198 LW. He could easily fall to us or we could try a draft + future considerations deal. The kid seems to be a mad scorer (91 points in 60 games--Barrie) and may need a few years, but seems promising around where we could pick without gutting our team.

- Faksa suffered a concussion during the playoffs. Not that this means he's toast, but it does worry me when prospects suffer concussions prior to ever getting drafted.

- Gaunce is an animal. 6'2" & 215 lbs at 18. :shock: His stats say his body is NHL ready. Is his game? Well... with Tippett at the helm that's not likely. However, Gaunce can handle the puck and has some finish to go with the frame. Really, the kind of player teams like to build around. He won`t be available at #27 and would necessitate a trade up...

- Wilson is a knucklehead. An absolute project. I hope that he is not on the Yotes' radar.

Pearson is the the kind of late round flyer that a team will take that does not desperately *need* a top forward prospect, because the cupboard is already stocked. That is clearly not the case with the Coyotes organization. GMDM cannot gamble on a forward prospect like Pearson, who only showed one promising year following years of mediocrity.

I would have Tomas Hertl on the list: A Czech to go with Vrbata-bing and Hanzal - not necessarily on one line as Hertl plays centre, but the three could gel on the team and in the locker room. With good size and skill, Hertl should be a lock for a top six role in the NHL once he hits his stride. His skating is not elite and will keep him from super stardom, but he should become a solid contributor on an NHL squad.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors