What would it take to get the 1st overall pick from the Oil?

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

What would it take to get the 1st overall pick from the Oil?

Postby Matzel on Fri May 18, 2012 6:33 am

What an intriguing idea: The Coyotes make a splash by obtaining the 1st overall pick in the 2012 NHL entry draft. Then they draft RW Nail Railovich Yakupov. The kid does not come with some of the typical baggage associated with Russian players. His dream is to play in the NHL and he has been in Sarnia (OHL) for two seasons (CHL Rookie of the Year in 2010/'11).

Yakupov wrote:“There is a KHL team in my hometown. I like and miss my city. My family, my friends and my girl are in this city. But for me, I know the best league in the world is the NHL. I just want to play there. And that’s it. I want to play in the NHL and I want to play in the NHL all my career.”

Yakupov is considered the consensus top pick for this draft.

NHL Central Scouting's Chris Edwards wrote:"His first step and ability to control bouncing pucks, knock them down and make a play are the best of any of the guys in the draft, in my opinion. he really gets up to top speed very quickly and his hands are outstanding. Like Pavel Bure, Yakupov is dangerous every shift. He may not have been dominant on every shift like Bure was, but he created something every shift ... you have to be aware where he is on the ice all the time."

The Oilers, currently holding onto their third consecutive 1st overall entry draft pick, seem stacked offensively. They previously selected Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, both forwards from the CHL. What the Oilers *really need* to make the transition from perennial cellar dweller, seems to be defense.

The area of strength for the Phoenix Coyotes, who have amassed a selection of very fine young, skilled blueliners. With the emergence of Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Brandon Gormley a year closer to the show, Maxim Goncharov and David Rundblad in the mix, maybe the highly talented and rock steady Keith Yandle could become a trade asset. What about Gormley and a swap of 2012 1st rounders?

Share your thoughts...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What would it take to get the 1st overall pick from the Oil?

Postby phillip on Fri May 18, 2012 3:19 pm

I'd do that in a heartbeat. I want the coyotes to win the cup or get the #1 pick. I think the talent at #1/2 is much better than the rest of the round. Even go to two prospects and a swap of picks.
phillip
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Kaibur on Fri May 18, 2012 6:19 pm

I'm not personally in favor, but I think there are some definite benefits that new ownership may consider worth the while in a deal like that. Through the whole rebuild, our top 2 picks - #3 Turris and #5 Wheeler - didn't net us game-breaking talent. We're now well into the phase where premiere picks with high probabilities of turning into elite talents are behind us. When you look at our D corps, it looks great. When you look at the future of our forward corps, it's not very exciting.

The fact that this team is playing its third consecutive playoffs, this time into the third round, on a shoestring budget indicates that the system could be upgraded if ownership decides to spend higher than the bottom third of player salaries in the league. They might want to come in and "make a splash" by bringing in a marquee name via free agency (now at least a possibility with stable ownership and a couple of winning seasons) or trade. But another way to go would be to bring in a marquee in the way that you've suggested - snagging the first overall pick. What better way to keep the momentum in the valley market but by snagging the top pick leading up to the draft and grabbing Yakupov to market as part of the new brand. The trade you're proposing wouldn't touch anyone on the current successful team either, which is amazing.

What you're proposing might look something like this (budget roughly the same as this year):

FORWARDS
Ray Whitney ($3.500m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Nail Yakupov ($3.750m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / Shane Doan ($3.750m)
Mikkel Boedker ($1.100m) / Matthew Lombardi ($3.500m) / Lauri Korpikoski ($1.800m)
Raffi Torres ($1.750m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.325m) / Kyle Chipchura ($0.650m)
Paul Bissonnette ($0.738m) / Gilbert Brule ($0.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
Oliver E.-Larsson ($1.750m) / Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m)
David Schlemko ($0.550m) / Michael Stone ($0.846m)
Chris Summers ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($2.000m)
Jason Labarbera ($1.250m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $50,683,333; BONUSES: $1,062,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,616,667
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Matzel on Sat May 19, 2012 6:43 am

Kaibur wrote:We're now well into the phase where premiere picks with high probabilities of turning into elite talents are behind us.

In a salary cap environment, and especially for a cash strapped franchise like the dogs, drafting elite talents *always* remains crucial. The strength of the roster has to come from within with a lowered UFA age and spending restraints in place.

Kaibur wrote:When you look at our D corps, it looks great. When you look at the future of our forward corps, it's not very exciting. [...] The trade you're proposing wouldn't touch anyone on the current successful team either, which is amazing.

Exactly! Adding a young talent like Yakupov while not giving up a roster player would be a(nother) strike of genius by GMDM.

Kaibur wrote:What you're proposing might look something like this (budget roughly the same as this year):

FORWARDS
Ray Whitney ($3.500m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Nail Yakupov ($3.750m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / Shane Doan ($3.750m)
Mikkel Boedker ($1.100m) / Matthew Lombardi ($3.500m) / Lauri Korpikoski ($1.800m)
Raffi Torres ($1.750m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.325m) / Kyle Chipchura ($0.650m)
Paul Bissonnette ($0.738m) / Gilbert Brule ($0.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
Oliver E.-Larsson ($1.750m) / Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m)
David Schlemko ($0.550m) / Michael Stone ($0.846m)
Chris Summers ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($2.000m)
Jason Labarbera ($1.250m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $50,683,333; BONUSES: $1,062,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,616,667

It's a topic for another thread, but I think the CBA has to be revised in order to ensure the survival of the NHL's 30 clubs. The amount of revenue distributed to players will be scaled back and the salary cap may well be on its way down as well. So even if new ownership loosens the purse strings - which I don't think they should immediately considering the market place - there may not be another option but to look for entry level contracts to be added for supreme talent. To add to the thought from above: What the new CBA *really* needs is not just different numbers in the same framework. In order to ensure a healthy survival of every franchise the league needs to introduce a revenue sharing program. The Leafs/Rangers/Flyers/Bruins/Habs/etc. will shudder but the fact is that the current CBA has widened the gap 'tween the haves and have-nots. Overall NHL revenues have increased substantially since 2005, so the NHL makes plenty of money. If the wealthy franchises share more generously with the money-losers, all teams can be financially sound and competitive.

^I quite like your roster from above. I think it would have us in the mix again...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 am

Heck ya. Our first round pick and Yandle to the Oilers for their first pick. With OEL emerging and talents like Gormley and Rundblad in the mix... I'd LOVE to see that happen.
Yakupov seems like the type of player who would fit into the dogs' system, too. He strikes me as a mix between Datsyuk and Ovechkin. If he's half that good, he'll still be worth such a trade. That said, he'll take a couple of seasons to find his NHL stride.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Hulkzilla on Thu May 24, 2012 1:31 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing this done. I'd toss in the whole draft for him, plus the player.. Yandle is a fine defense man but I see the puck leave the offensive zone way too easily sometimes. Seems lethargic about grabbing the puck by the boards. Makes me wanna pull my hair out...I'm already a bald man so that leaves me with little options. :P

Zach Parise....Down the yellow brick road...with an owner in place I want this guy. Hey,.... why not?
The Liver is EVIL...and Must be Punished
Hulkzilla
Prospect
Prospect

Postby cin on Thu May 24, 2012 2:19 pm

The only one,( out of the d prospects ) I would like the coyotes to deal is Rundblad. But him and our first rounder will never be enough, so . . . I like them to let the ufa defenders walk and trade demo. Let Langkow, Pyatt go and go big after Parise AND Suter. Should be room and before they need to resign Smith to a big contract, next year is the chance to go all the way and a kick start for the new group.
cin
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby CBL on Thu May 24, 2012 2:41 pm

As much as I'd like to see us get Yakupov, I am not sure we have the assets to get him. Even if we throw in our first, there are other teams that need Offense ahead of us that will most likely make a deal that we couldn't offer. Also, I suppose we'll have to wait until after the lottery to see if there is another negotiating partner.

I'm guessing it would take Yandle, our 1st, and possibly Korpi as well, which may be too much to give up.
CBL

Postby Matzel on Fri May 25, 2012 1:26 pm

CBL wrote:Also, I suppose we'll have to wait until after the lottery to see if there is another negotiating partner.

The draft lottery took place in April.

2012 NHL DRAFT ORDER

1 EDMONTON OILERS
2 COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
3 MONTREAL CANADIENS
4 NEW YORK ISLANDERS
5 TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
6 ANAHEIM DUCKS
7 MINNESOTA WILD
8 CAROLINA HURRICANES
9 WINNIPEG JETS
10 TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING
11 WASHINGTON CAPITALS (FROM COLORADO)
12 BUFFALO SABRES
13 DALLAS STARS
14 CALGARY FLAMES
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby HotDog on Fri May 25, 2012 6:50 pm

There will no doubt be many teams callin' up Steve Tambellini to see what's what. And if the Oilers wind up trading the number one pick, it'd have to be for a defenseman. And as has been mentioned, there are few teams that can match the defensive depth, at least if you include prospects, of the Coyotes.

Yandle and swapping firsts might be enough to get it done but Yandle makes serious cake. If I'm Edmonton, I'm asking for OEL. And if I'm Maloney, I'm saying "Yes".
HotDog
Prospect
Prospect

Postby CBL on Fri May 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Matzel wrote:
CBL wrote:Also, I suppose we'll have to wait until after the lottery to see if there is another negotiating partner.

The draft lottery took place in April.

I don't keep up with such things, so I missed it. Thank you for correcting me; I almost didn't post that part since I wasn't sure if it had been completed or not and I was too lazy to do any research.
CBL

Postby CBL on Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 pm

HotDog wrote:There will no doubt be many teams callin' up Steve Tambellini to see what's what. And if the Oilers wind up trading the number one pick, it'd have to be for a defenseman. And as has been mentioned, there are few teams that can match the defensive depth, at least if you include prospects, of the Coyotes.

Yandle and swapping firsts might be enough to get it done but Yandle makes serious cake. If I'm Edmonton, I'm asking for OEL. And if I'm Maloney, I'm saying "Yes".

Or, we could keep our first and trade them Yandle and OEL (that would most likely be what it would take for the first). They both impressed me this season, but Yandle scares me with his flubs and OEL seems a bit streaky (although he did exceptionally well this season). Of course I would hope we could snag something else in the deal.

As much as I like having those scoring D-men, our strategy seems to be defense first, so perhaps Rundblad and Schlemko could somewhat fill those voids (and be more responsible defensively). Of course if money is an issue, we could take Nugent-Hopkins and/or Hall off their hands :P
CBL

Postby Matzel on Sat May 26, 2012 7:57 am

CBL wrote:
HotDog wrote:There will no doubt be many teams callin' up Steve Tambellini to see what's what. And if the Oilers wind up trading the number one pick, it'd have to be for a defenseman. And as has been mentioned, there are few teams that can match the defensive depth, at least if you include prospects, of the Coyotes.

Or, we could keep our first and trade them Yandle and OEL (that would most likely be what it would take for the first). They both impressed me this season, but Yandle scares me with his flubs and OEL seems a bit streaky (although he did exceptionally well this season). Of course I would hope we could snag something else in the deal.

As much as I like having those scoring D-men, our strategy seems to be defense first, so perhaps Rundblad and Schlemko could somewhat fill those voids (and be more responsible defensively). Of course if money is an issue, we could take Nugent-Hopkins and/or Hall off their hands :P

IMHO, OEL and Yandle is too much to give up for Yakupov. Actually, any deal including OEL would probably be too much for me. I love the idea of adding a high calibre forward prospect, the likes of which this franchise hasn't seen since the Finnish Flash suited up for the Jets. However, the playoff run showed how much this club is already relying on Oliver Ekman-Larsson and he is only going to get better. He is currently cheaper than Yandle and I believe he will eventually be the better player.

So if the Oil is asking for two (NHL ready) defensemen they would be offered Yandle and someone like Schlemko, Stone or Rundblad. I would obviously offer the Yotes' 2012 1st rounder, but OEL is (or should be) untouchable at this point.

I would actually have a real hard time offering Gormley, too... but I realize that you have to give in order to get. And Yakupov is just what the Yotes need. :-(
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cin on Sat May 26, 2012 8:21 am

I think, you can not have too many good defenders. With a great goalie in Smith and soon (already?) a great defense (especially with Suter), coyotes have a solid base, built from behind. You can always trade for a great forward (which we might need), but giving up players like Yandle for a young player is risky. I know the russian might be a star in the league, but once again, risky. Sign Parise, make a trade if we need to for an already great forward. Should not cost us as much as we need to pay for the first overall pick.
cin
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby Matzel on Sat May 26, 2012 10:50 am

cin wrote:I think, you can not have too many good defenders. With a great goalie in Smith and soon (already?) a great defense (especially with Suter), coyotes have a solid base, built from behind. You can always trade for a great forward (which we might need), but giving up players like Yandle for a young player is risky. I know the russian might be a star in the league, but once again, risky. Sign Parise, make a trade if we need to for an already great forward. Should not cost us as much as we need to pay for the first overall pick.

I'd say the odds of GMDM being able to land Suter and/or Parise are slim to none.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors