Coyotes Acquire Lombardi from Toronto & FA Talk (Mod Edit)

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Coyotes Acquire Lombardi from Toronto & FA Talk (Mod Edit)

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:21 pm

I fully expect to see a flurry of big and minor trades in the next three or four weeks.

First off is Luongo in Vancouver. Sounds like he'll end up in Toronto and maybe Florida. That trade will have ramifications further afield and likely result in sidebar deals. Kesler sounds like he is a ways away from returning to action, and that may force the Canucks to go after the best available center they can find by dangling Luongo. Bozak in Toronto makes sense, even though he's totally different in style to Kesler.

Some teams may have to make emergency deals for salary reasons or to fill some gaps created by injuries to players who went to Europe or the AHL.

Kopitar is broken heading into the short season. Depending on his prognosis, the Kings may need to make a deal.
Nash is injured in NY. The Rangers have salary issues and depending on the severity of Nash's situation, may need to make a deal.

I don't expect the dogs to make any moves at this time.
OEL is slightly injured apparently but it sounds like he was taken out more for precautionary reasons. Otherwise they should be healthy all around.
Who knows, something might fall in our laps from all the panic that will be taking place in the next two weeks.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Re: There is going to be some big ones soon

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Speculation underway...
Dogs, Devils and Sabres touted as teams with blue liners to trade.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... arket.html

The piece fails to mention the glut of defenders the dogs have barking at the top six tree. One of those guys along with Morris - as in Summers, Goncharov, Stone, Schlemko or Rundblad (keep Gormley) might land us a decent top six forward.

Teams needing blueliner improvements include: Islanders, Ottawa, Flyers, Tampa, Winnipeg, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Oilers, Wild and Canucks.
The Canucks will deal with their blueline issue via free agents and possibly in the Luongo trade.
Cut out Dallas as a trade partner, just because.
That leaves a good number of teams that could use a package of: Morris and Summers. Two steady defenders. One proven - another up-and-coming.
The Isles don't have enough available, realistically, to deal with, as we need a proven top six forward (top 2 line centre).
Can't see Ottawa as a trade partner - same reasons as Isles.
Maybe Wayne Simmonds from the Flyers... along with a second rounder.
Tampa doesn't have enough.
Maybe for the Jets' Bryan Little and a third rounder.
One I'd love to see: Morris, Summers and our 2013 first rounder for rights to Ryan O'Reilly. Almost too much to give away, but he'd be a sweet fit with Tippet's dogs.
The BJs don't have enough.
Morris and Summers to the Wings for Darren Helm and a third rounder.
Morris and Summers and a second rounder to the Oilers for Sam Gagner.
The Wild - meh.
Discuss...
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:01 pm

It would be great to get that established stud top line centre this franchise has been so sorrily lacking for ages. Unfortunately those cost more than the desert dogs can swing now and in the near future. Homegrown talent, youngsters or bargain bin specials are the realistic options.

I would love to see Ryan O'Reilly in brick red. Alas, it would take that much (as suggested by BTA) or more to get him. He's only 21 but already a defensively solid player in the show. I think with Tippet as a coach, he could become an absolute gem. Picture O'Reilly and Hanzal as 2 a.) and 2 b.) centres on the Yotes... throw in Vermette and Gordon - not too shabby!
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby white_tiger on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 pm

I thought Demo had an NTC? He waived it to return to Phoenix
5th Year Season Ticket Holder
Sec 209 Row O 3
white_tiger
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby Matzel on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:13 pm

^ did some pokin' around:

Denver Post wrote:
O’Reilly turned down a five-year, $17 million offer from the Avs last summer, seeking something closer to $5 million per season.

Forget that... we don't have that kind o' cash either. :-(

That said, GMDM went dumpster diving again:

Coyotes Acquire Lombardi from Toronto

Wednesday, 01.16.2013 / 8:01 PM / News
Phoenix Coyotes

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Wednesday, January 16, 2013
GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced today that the Coyotes have acquired center Matthew Lombardi from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for the Coyotes fourth round draft choice in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

Matthew Lombardi
Last season, the 5-foot-11, 191-pound Lombardi played 62 games with Toronto, recording 8-10-18 and 10 penalty minutes (PIM).

“We are very pleased to bring a player like Matthew back to our team,” said Maloney. “Matthew is a very strong skater will add quickness and skill to our lineup. He is an intelligent center who will be a great addition to our team and provides us with added depth at the center position.”

During the 2009-10 season, Lombardi registered 19-34-53 and 36 PIM in 78 games with the Coyotes. His 34 assists and 53 points were career highs. In 2008-09, the 30-year-old native of Montreal, Quebec played 19 games with the Coyotes (5-11-16) after being acquired from the Calgary Flames. Lombardi has scored 14 or more goals five times in his career and collected 36 or more pints four times. He scored a career-high 20 goals in 2006-07 with Calgary.

In 508 NHL games with Calgary, Phoenix Nashville and Toronto, Lombardi has collected 97-157-254 and 285 PIM. He has also played in 40 career playoff games recording 3-13-16 and 12 PIM.

Thoughts?!
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coyotes Acquire Lombardi from Toronto & FA Talk (Mod Edit)

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:24 pm

I love this trade! Hopefully Lombardi is healthy enough to use his wheels appropriately.

This moves Gordon to the fourth line, where he should be. Lombardi should slot in as third line pivot - with decent wingers in Korpikoski and Moss.
Lombardi is a coachable veteran, he increases our team speed by another tick, should be an offensive boost over what Langkow brought last year (with perhaps a downside defensively) and he had his best NHL season in Phoenix. Hopefully he needs what Vrbata receives from playing in the desert and bounces back like Vrbata.
IF Lombardi has a bounce back and can push into 40 plus points, this trade will be seen as sublime brilliance. Another GMDM gem. May it be so and welcome back Lombo.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Matzel wrote:Thoughts?!

For a fourth round pick (in 2014), I'm fine with it as well. As mentioned in another article I came across, he can play Center or Wing, so that should make it an excellent (re)acquisition. Honestly, I was unhappy to see him go since he was doing ell for us. Sure, his health may be a concern, but for a 2nd line winger or 3rd line center/winger, it's probably a sound move. Is it enough? probably not, but it will give us more flexibility with moving some of our other players if the right deal comes along. I kind of see Lombardi as a solid player that can occasionally shine in the right situation (PP), which is pretty much what we need for our special teams perhaps a Sullivan - Lombardi - Vrbata - Korpikoski - OEL (or Yandle) PP line might prove fruitful.
CBL

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors