Trade Deadline--2013

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Trade Deadline--2013

Postby CBL on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Well, since the trade deadline is April 3rd, I figured I'd start a thread on possible (and realistic) trades for this "season."

Obviously, we need some sort of forward that can score consistently without trading away too much of our depth (at D)

Any thoughts at this point? I may add some after doing a bit of research, but figured I'd post this thread while I'm thinking about it.
CBL

Re: Trade Deadline--2013

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:25 pm

An inconsistent team will be dealt with. GMDM will make a deal or two - but who and what remains a strong mystery.
The Yandle chatter will grow in intensity but unless GMDM gets a top three forward and a prospect/draft pick, he won't pull the trigger.
If he deals Yandle he HAS TO GET a top three forward who is about the same age (maybe just a touch older).

Who could we land for Yandle in a straight swap of players?
Vanek from Buffalo.
Kessel from Toronto.
Weiss from Florida (wouldn't help us this year).
O'Reilly from Colorado.

Steve Sullivan will be a nice score for a team heading to the playoffs, if the dogs fall out by the deadline.

Other players who could be dealt who will bring in some help: Miele, Stone, Summers, Visentin.

Bigger name players who could be traded (not necessarily to us...)
J. Iginla
P. Marleau
M. Gaborik
D. Briere
M. Grabovski
P. Stastny
D. Stafford
J. Jokinen
O. Jokinen
K. Versteeg
K. Okposo
D. Setoguchi
R. Whitney
B. Morrow
B. Dubinsky
C. Greening
R. Hainsey
J. Schroeder
J. Blum
M. Paajarvi
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Here are a few interesting ideas (some may not be too realistic but what the hell) from the East:

BOS: Krejci for Yandle. Gives us a scoring Center and them the D-man of their dreams (although Yandle has lost some of his shimmer in my eyes). Although I would like a forward that can score more goals, a Doan (or Korpikoski) - Krejci - Boedker line might be fun to watch. We could also try out a Hanzal - Krejci - Vrbata line once in a while (if it's safe to move Hanzal to the left).

FLA: Kopecky for Klesla (we may have to give a bit more). Lands us a decent forward and them a good D-man (a 30 year old to fill the gap between their 22 year olds and their 36 year olds).

NYI: Yandle for Moulson (we may have to throw in a 4th or 5th). Sure, he's a bit of a defensive liability, but this could be remedied with a Moulson - Hanzal - Vrbata line. The Isles are in that grey area (as it relates to making the playoffs), so Yandle would be an excellent addition and could excel on a more offensive-heavy team. I suppose we could add one of our defensive-minded players in Portland (Forward or D-man) as well.

NYR: I wouldn't mind snagging Hagelin, but am not sure what we'd have to give since they only have a cap space of $1 million. Of course this is probably not a realistic option).

OTW: M. Michalek for Yandle. They get an excellent offensive D-man who has scored 40+ points in 3 of the last 5 seasons (and gives them a nice edge going into the playoff run) and we get a forward that has scored 50+ points in 3 of the last 5 seasons. It would probably also be nice for Z to have his brother around more.

PHI: Yandle and Summers for Luke and Brayden Schenn. I suppose we may have to throw in a pick of some sort as well. This would add two up and coming offensive D men to their roster (which they desperately need) and snag us an excellent forward and promising stay-at-home D-man (which would work well in Tip's system). This would also allow us to possibly move Schlemko and/or Stone for picks or forward prospects. Along with that we could possibly move Klesla to a team that needs an additional Defensive-edge heading into the playoffs. Besides their excellent skills, I could also see a marketing campaign that could focus on the brothers (Philly doesn't need to worry much about marketing--usually).

WAS: Laich (and a pick and/or prospect) for Yandle [if we aren't on his no-trade list]. This would help us offensively and give them exactly what they need (a reliable offensive D-man). Hell, with our depth at D, I'd even be willing to take the oft-injured Green off of their hands (depending on his NTC) in some sort of package deal (I suppose I could wait for his buyout at the end of the season before entertaining this option further).
---
In terms of previously mentioned "swaps," I wouldn't mind adding Vanek (although I think it might cost us a bit more than Yandle alone) or Kessel (before his NTC is active next season)
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:12 am

Wouldn't like to see us trade Klesla for a floating second/third liner and Yandle for Moulson straight up would be a felony committed on GMDM by Garth Snow. Moulson's magic is summed up in two words: John Tavares. This is an example of why having a stud top line centerman is so important. Check out Chris Kunitz's stats this year for another example.
Imagine Boedker playing with Tavares... or someone who always finds a way to make offence happen, as opposed to the slug heads we currently have playing centre. Hanzal should be a No. 2 at MOST and should really be a No. 3 line centre. Vermette is at MOST a number two and should be a No. 3. We don't have a single guy in the system with promise to fill those two top centre positions. Gordon is a great No. 4. Same with Chipchura.
Would like to see a Yandle for Krejci deal. Said so last year when it was a possibility.
Can't see Boston making a trade like that now because they are playing so well. Krejci is also hurt, I believe.
Until the ownership BS is solved - we're doomed to be a low budget pack of bone chewers.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby cin on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:39 am

Here is my wish list....
Jonathan Huberdeau - Probably will take Yandle, maybe with a + ?
Perron - Klesla/Morris, prospects, picks (do not know what package)
+ one of the two names below.
Marcus Johansson - Player from my local team in sweden. Caps best player last season according to Calle Johansson, coach, when I spoke to him last summer. Young and probably not too expensive after a questionable season so far.
Martin Erat - Might fill out a chech line in a good way? Higher cap hit then dollars.
Get rid of Moss, Sullivan, Lombardi and Torres.
Never going to happen, but this is my coyote trade deadline dream.
Lines:
Perron-Huberdeau-Boedker
Erat/Johansson-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Vermette-Doan
Chip-Gordon-Johnson

Oel-Z
Klesla/Morris-Schlemko
Rundblad-Stone/Summers/Gormley
cin
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 am

Yandle chatter persists, especially now that the dogs are teetering at the abyss of this season.

Detroit and Philly appear to be the two most logical destinations as they can offer a player the dogs could use for Yandle.
Philly has Brayden Schenn who could seize the top line or second line center position in a year or two. The Flyers may have to add a third rounder, too.
And the Wings have a guy like Valteri Filppulla who would fit into our top six. The Wings would have to sweeten the pot with a second rounder.

I think the dogs should have on to Yandle and if they want to deal him - do so at the draft and move up to grab a player they want and perhaps add a depth player in the same deal.
As it is - the dogs are heading toward a top 10 pick if they don't WAKE UP immediately. Trading Yandle could get us into the top four or five.

Frankly, unless this team goes on a three or four game winning streak and pulls back into contention, I think GMDM should dangle a couple of roster players for bits and pieces, give some AHL guys a good look and let this goofy season come to an end as they use it for practice and competition for roster spots moving forward. No fire sale or anything silly like that. Keep building but TANK this year and grab a top 3 draft pick (Mackinnon, Jones or Drouin) that will help them for years to come. Mackinnon and Drouin are going to be studs.

Guys who could be shipped out to teams seeking playoff depth: Sullivan (no brainer - he WILL be dealt to a team like Boston, Detroit or Vancouver); Torres (Toronto, Montreal or Winnipeg); Moss (Winnipeg, Minnesota, Vancouver or Ottawa); Morris (Chicago, Vancouver, Pittsburgh or St. Louis).
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:Guys who could be shipped out to teams seeking playoff depth: Sullivan (no brainer - he WILL be dealt to a team like Boston, Detroit or Vancouver); Torres (Toronto, Montreal or Winnipeg); Moss (Winnipeg, Minnesota, Vancouver or Ottawa); Morris (Chicago, Vancouver, Pittsburgh or St. Louis).

Doesn't DeMo have a NTC?

I am all for wheelin' & dealin' if it becomes clear that the playoffs are not a realistic goal anymore. Operation *Tank* would then be in full effect. Either MacKinnon or Drouin would be 'dy-no-mite' in brick red. I actually would have a tough time to decide who I would rather see in the desert. They are both so good... but then there's Barkov, who also has elite top centre potential. He's already putting up a PPG in the Finnish SM Liga. <drool>
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:49 am

The top five or six picks in the draft appear to be pretty solid players with little chance of floppage.
Mackinnon would be the centre we've always needed.
Jones would give us unparalleled depth at D.
Drouin would give us a sniping winger.
Barkov would give us a quality center in the Hanzal mould (or so he seems), with more offensive upside.
Elias Lindholm would be the best center in our system.
Sean Monahan would be a quintessential Tippett player - a solid two-way pivot with lots of upside.
Valeri Nichushkin could be the best of the lot (of the centres).
Hunter Shinkaruk has wicked offensive skills - though he isn't very big.
All of 'em would be improvements in our system and each forward would knock Samuelsson down the depth chart as our 'best' forward prospect.

So let's quit mucking about doggies - this season is toast toast toast. Tank and grab a stud for the future - for once and freaking all! The OEL draft did this franchise a world of good - he was a sixth overall pick. IF this franchise still had Blake Wheeler we'd have a player who would currently be leading the team in scoring. And hey, look at Kyle Turris. He's leading the injury depleted Senators in scoring. Add Wheeler and Turris to this line-up... sigh.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:15 pm

If this club drafts Jones I am going to throw up. He's a great player but so not what the doggies need...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:54 am

I hear ya. But if it's best player available and Mackinnon and Drouin went first and second, Jones would be clearly the next best player (or so he seems). If the dogs pick third (we wish) - they'd have to take him. Then you assess who is better between Gormley, Murphy and Jones and move forward by dealing one or two of them for help up front.
I tell you, after seeing what Calgary got for it's all-time franchise player, it makes me think Phoenix is hooped in terms of dealing mid-line-up talent as we continue to implode down the stretch.
Calgary basically got a first rounder (likely 30th overall) for Iginla! And two college hacks who will probably never lace 'em in the bigs.
What will Sullivan fetch? Now, I'd say a sixth rounder. Before Iggy - maybe a second rounder. Rats. Thanks Calgary. What a goofy move.
The other two 'franchise' guys with the Flames returned MUCH more than that. Joe Nieuwendyk brought Iggy into the fold and Theo Fleury fetched a package deal of NHLers.
Jay Feaster must either be losing his mind or Iggy has secretly agreed to return and finish his career in Calgary.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Hulkzilla on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Sucks to be a Sabres fan..again.
Wish I was a Pens fan...I think I can root for the Wild though..ex-girlfriend from 4 years ago left a jersey in the back closet..it fits sooo...
Suppose it sucks to be a Dallas fan too..but that's alright with me...Bummer for Ray.(Dallas games look more empty than our building, what's up with that? How come they don't get crap about moving?)..BUT holy draft picks Shark Man.
And Rangers are jackasses..(poor Gabby playing for the blue jackets is no way to live...that is all for now. :beerchug:
The Liver is EVIL...and Must be Punished
Hulkzilla
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:53 am

Smart pick up by the Wild, Pominville. Was hoping we were in the running for a guy like that. Roy would have helped, too.
Alas - the Wild have just added a potential 'Butch Goring' to their line up and the Canucks may have done the same with another former Sabre, Roy.
The other trade that could pay big dividends is Clowe to NYR - evidenced by his performance last night. Ditto Brassard. Must chafe the BJs to see him light it up on his first game with the Rangers.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors