Possible FA Additions (summer 2013)

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Possible FA Additions (summer 2013)

Postby CBL on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:24 pm

I just came across an article about Horton wanting to leave the Bruins; I wonder if he'd be willing to join our team (wherever they may be).

Horton Ready to Move On

I think he would be a nice addition a Doan - Vermette (or new Center signing) - Horton 2nd line would be interesting.
CBL

Re: Possible FA Additions (summer 2013)

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Horton would be an excellent addition. Put him on the first line with Vrbata and Hanzal...

I really feel as though GMDM is going to make a major move in the next week.

Forwards he could snag via trade or signing include: Thomas Vanek (first line winger), Nate Horton (free agent first line winger), David Clarkson (second line winger), PM Bouchard (soft but skilled second line winger), Vincent Lecavalier (de facto first line centre), Danny Briere (de facto first line centre), Dave Bolland (third line winger), Brad Richards (first line centre), Stephen Weiss (first line centre), Alex Burmistrov (third line center with second line potential), Jarome Iginla (first line winger), Pascal Dupuis (second line winger), Thomas Plekanec (first line centre), Clarke MacArthur (second/third line forward), Mike Riberio (first line centre), Jaromir Jagr (second/third line winger with first line PP skill), Michael Handzus (third/fourth line centre), Mike Cammalleri (first/second line forward), Tyler Bozak (second/third line centre), Derek Roy (second line centre), David Perron (second line centre) and TJ Oshie (second/third line forward).
Anyone of those guys would bring marked improvement to our forward corp.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Hulkzilla on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:38 pm

So Briere is most likely to sign with Buffalo. They just bought out Nathen Gerbe..Small kid but is talented and a sparkplug. would'nt be so bad. And the price is really cheap.
The Liver is EVIL...and Must be Punished
Hulkzilla
Prospect
Prospect

Postby hammerglenn on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:22 pm

First off, signing Gordon is a must.

Nathan Gerbe would be a great pick up for us. Other players either bought out or UFA that I wouldn't mind would be the following:

Danny Briere (for the right price)
Rick Dipietro (1- 1.5 mil to be a backup) would be a better option than Babs and maybe Burke can help him be the goalie he was supposed to be. We can always sing Johnson as the 3rd goalie,
Keith Ballard - for the right price and if we decide to move 1 or 2 defense for an offensive forward.
Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne - Vetran presence that could help our team especially on the pp.
Michael Handzus - 4th line center and can play on the pk.
Nik Antropov - A big center who can help us if he's motivated.
Jaromir Jagr - Old but can help us out like he did in Dallas last year.
Colby Armstrong - sandpaper 4th liner
Patrick Elias - At the right price, he can still be an effective LW.
Ryan Clowe - again at the right price, he can be productive in front of the net.
Brian Boucher - a cheap option for a back up

By Trade:
Tuomo Ruutu (Carolina)
Tyler Ennis (Buffalo)
Ryan O'Reilly (Colorado)
Shawn Mathias (Florida)
Josh Bailey (NY Islanders)
Braden Schenn (Philadelphia)
Sean Couturier (Philadelphia)
Ryan Kesler (Vancouver)

Trade Bait would probably be Korpikoski, Rundblad, Werek, Schlemko, Klesla, Vermette, Yandle. I'd rather keep Yandle for a few more years to take some pressure of OEL.

We have 14 players under contract with 34M cap space used. This leaves us with 10 Mil to reach the floor and 9 players to add for a 23 man roster.
hammerglenn
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby penfold314 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:09 pm

hammerglenn wrote:Danny Briere (for the right price)
Rick Dipietro (1- 1.5 mil to be a backup) would be a better option than Babs and maybe Burke can help him be the goalie he was supposed to be. We can always sing Johnson as the 3rd goalie,
Keith Ballard - for the right price and if we decide to move 1 or 2 defense for an offensive forward.

Ballard is on waivers, he is quite pickupable. Add in Briere and it would be a Coyotes reunion season.
penfold314
Prospect
Prospect

Postby CBL on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:16 am

My take:
[quote="hammerglenn"] Other players either bought out or UFA that I wouldn't mind would be the following:

Danny Briere (for the right price) | Pass, sure he'd be a decent addition, but I think he'll get more than we can offer
Rick Dipietro (1- 1.5 mil to be a backup) would be a better option than Babs and maybe Burke can help him be the goalie he was supposed to be. We can always sing Johnson as the 3rd goalie | Pass, he's too injury-prone and doesn't really fit the Burke mould (he's about 2-3 inches too short). Babs is a serviceable Goalie if Smith can stay healthy (and a character guy to boot)
Keith Ballard - for the right price and if we decide to move 1 or 2 defense for an offensive forward. | I wouldn't mind adding him, but we don't really need him at this point.
Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne - Vetran presence that could help our team especially on the pp. | I wouldn't be disappointed, but I think I'll still pass; enough with the reclamation projects (not to mention that Selanne will most likely only play for Anaheim)
Michael Handzus - 4th line center and can play on the pk. | No thanks, we have plenty of 4th/3rd line center talent for those roles
Nik Antropov - A big center who can help us if he's motivated. | I've often thought he'd be a nice addition to the team, so I'd go for him, but his last contract was $4.7 million, so I would say if he's willing to accept $2.5-3.2 million/year for 2-3 years--go for it (I think he'll get a bit more elsewhere)
Jaromir Jagr - Old but can help us out like he did in Dallas last year. | No thanks, we need to look towards the future (he'd be more of a slightly undersized band-aid)
Colby Armstrong - sandpaper 4th liner | No on Armstrong as well; we have plenty of sandpaper guys under contract at the moment
Patrick Elias - At the right price, he can still be an effective LW. | I wouldn't mind him (even if he's a bit long in the tooth), but like you said it'd have to be for the right price. His last contract was $5 million; I guess I'd be willing to go $3.75 million for 1-2 seasons (he'll get more elsewhere)
Ryan Clowe - again at the right price, he can be productive in front of the net. | Maybe, but I'd rather find someoene with a better reputation. In addition, he did his best on a line with Thornton and Marleau, we don't currently have any players of their caliber (at that time)
Brian Boucher - a cheap option for a back up | No thanks. As I mentioned above, we are fine at back-up with Babs (if Smith stays healthy)
/quote]

In terms of trades, some of yours sounded fine, but I'll have to wait and see what GMDM does on the FA market before I'm comfortable discussing it much. I would like to get Schenn, but I think other teams will be willing to give up more than GMDM will. The only player with trade value (that I'd be willing to give up) is Yandle; he should be able to land us an excellent forward.
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Nathan Gerbe makes Andy Miele seem gigantic! I'd pass on him.

Briere wouldn't return.
Dipietro is cursed.
Ballard is finished - AHL material.
Koivu - want to say yes, but can't.
Selanne - would love it but he won't.
Handzus - he'd be an upgrade to our bottom six.
Antropov - an upgrade to our bottom six (no longer top six material). Not that defensively gifted.
Jagr - agree on the short term Band-aid. But he'd bring presence, savvy, skill and for one season could be spark plug. Like to see it.
Armstrong - our bottom six players and call-ups are better.
Clowe - good point about who he played with. Would be an upgrade to our top nine.
Boucher - pass

Ruutu - too breakable for the money - good player though
Ennis - another puny forward - would be an upgrade to our top nine - but who do we lose in the trade?
O'Reilly - would LOVE to see us sign him. He'd be our top line centre and would fit with Tip. We'd have to give the Avs Yandle.
Mathias - hmm... possibly a good move. Might upgrade our top 12.
Bailey - I think he's pluckable and not for steep price. Given right chance/tutelage could become a 60 point player. An upgrade to our top nine for sure.
Schenn - we'd lose Yandle for him and I don't think that's enough for Yandle. But he'd be an upgrade to our top six.
Couturier - good luck getting him. Love to see it happen. Won't.
Kesler - it'd cost Yandle, a first rounder, second rounder and a prospect like Laurent Dauphin and I think poor Ryan is now too easily broken to take that kind of risk.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:11 pm

I keep getting this feeling that we are going to end up with Paul Stastny.
GMDM will pluck him from the Avs for a song (because of his goofy salary - they'll happily shed it).
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Hulkzilla on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:19 pm

I'd still like to see Nathen Gerbe given a shot...I think we can get him for cheap.
The Liver is EVIL...and Must be Punished
Hulkzilla
Prospect
Prospect

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Looks like Bolduc is gone, not that he played much for us; still, that means we'll need to sign a C for Portland.
CBL

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Hulkzilla wrote:I'd still like to see Nathen Gerbe given a shot...I think we can get him for cheap.

At 5'5, I think I'd rather see us give Miele some ice-time (although I suppose we could play him with Chip and Biz)
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:00 am

Here's a list of UFA wingers who would improve our top 12.

Vaclav Prospal - would mesh well with Vrbata and Hanzal on a line. Aging but still fairly productive given the right players (40-50 point potential).
Jaromir Jagr - ditto Vrbata and Hanzal (or with Ribeiro and Vrbata).
Damien Brunner - second and third line duty (30-40 point potential).
Dan Cleary - third/fourth line improvement. (25-30 point potential)
Brad Boyes - second/third line improvement. (35-50 point potential)
Mason Raymond - third line improvement (25-40 point potential)
Brendan Morrow - third line improvement with ability to play first and second line minutes. (25-40 point potential). Brings toughness to our wing (a line of Morrow, Doan and Hanzal would be beefy!). Also knows Tip very well.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:30 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:Here's a list of UFA wingers who would improve our top 12.

Vaclav Prospal - would mesh well with Vrbata and Hanzal on a line. Aging but still fairly productive given the right players (40-50 point potential).
Jaromir Jagr - ditto Vrbata and Hanzal (or with Ribeiro and Vrbata).
Damien Brunner - second and third line duty (30-40 point potential).
Dan Cleary - third/fourth line improvement. (25-30 point potential)
Brad Boyes - second/third line improvement. (35-50 point potential)
Mason Raymond - third line improvement (25-40 point potential)
Brendan Morrow - third line improvement with ability to play first and second line minutes. (25-40 point potential). Brings toughness to our wing (a line of Morrow, Doan and Hanzal would be beefy!). Also knows Tip very well.

In the above list, I wouldn't mind snagging Boyes or Brunner (and possibly Prospal), but I'd pass on the rest (I don't see Jagr on the 1st or 2nd line and we have plenty of 3rd/4th liners--I'd rather go with youth).
CBL

Postby penfold314 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Still Available FAs http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427383

It will be Morrow, you can feel it.
penfold314
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Fyreman on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:34 pm

I'll admit, I'm a novice compared to some of you gurus. But isn't anyone a little (remember- I said a little) surprised that Jaromir Jagr is still available? I know he's 41, but WOW, 35 points in 45 games played!! He would have led the 'Yotes last year. Not saying they should get him, but it does amaze me he's still available.
Fyreman
Prospect
Prospect

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors