2013 FA signings

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

2013 FA signings

Postby hammerglenn on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 am

So far we have Korpikoski, Stone, Summers and Chipchura back.

and we signed;
Thomas Greiss - Goalie 1 year
Mike Ribeiro - Center - 5 years $5.5/yr
Last edited by hammerglenn on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hammerglenn
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Re: 2013 FA signings

Postby hammerglenn on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:37 am

We lost Gordon to Edmonton
Also Babs to Edmonton
hammerglenn
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby Hulkzilla on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Hope Babs leaves the game mvp belt..that seems like fun for the players to get it and do post game interviews with it on their shoulder. Thought he was a capable back up and had a good relationship with Smith as a post game dancin partner.
The Liver is EVIL...and Must be Punished
Hulkzilla
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Robert Earthpig on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Sucks we lost Gordon but I reckon Vermette slides down to third line center and Chipchura gets the fourth line, with Ribeiro first and Hanzal second line centre.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby penfold314 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:28 pm

hammerglenn wrote:We lost Gordon to Edmonton
Also Babs to Edmonton

Gordon got 3M a year. No way were the Coyoytes going to match that
penfold314
Prospect
Prospect

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:Sucks we lost Gordon but I reckon Vermette slides down to third line center and Chipchura gets the fourth line, with Ribeiro first and Hanzal second line centre.

I'm thinking Vermette will be on the second (with Korpi and Boedker) and Hanzal will go back to the 3rd (with Chip and Moss). That would leave Biz - Klinkhammer - Conner (or another pup) on the 4th (I'm looking at a Doan - Ribeiro - Vrbata 1st at this point, but Boedker may be a nice fit). Of course it's probably still too early to guess on the lines, but we aren't too bad off at this point (at least as it relates to the FA market). I guess the next step would be to look at what we could get in a trade for Yandle to give us that added kick to the first line (a LW would be nice and allow us to move Doan back to the RW)
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:04 am

Hanzal should get second line over Vermette because Hanzal's main job is to shadow the other team's best centreman - third line won't allow for that. In a perfect world, Hanzal would be one of the best third line centers in the league. If he was playing with two checking demons on the wing, maybe our third line could be second line B.
SUCKS we lost Gordon - who has become one of the better checking centres in the league under Tippett - but... $3 million per three years... to rich for the dogs. Too rich for Edmonton, too, but they needed a player like Boyd where we have some in-house options to replace him (aka Kyle Chipchura who has a higher offensive upside and is bigger).
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:21 am

Yes, Hanzal is tasked with covering the top C, but honestly, we balance out the top 3 lines (in-terms of ice-time). I don't see Hanzal doing well with Boedker (who's not ready for top line duty at the moment and doesn't click well with Doan), and Vrbata has shown that he is ready to be an offensive threat. I suppose you could go with a Korpi - Hanzal - Boedker line and move Vermette to the third with Chip and Moss, but that would stifle Vermette (not that he's done exceedingly well). I suppose if we signed (or traded for) a second line offensive LW, I could see Hanzal with Boedker do relatively well on the second.
CBL

Re: 2013 FA signings (Yip)

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Another signing for the A: Brandon Yip for one year. I suppose he could be another call-up if necessary, but a bit underwhelming to me (unless it means that some of our prospects are ready to make the leap to the main roster). I'm hoping some of these AHL signings don't take ice-time from our pups.

Coyotes Sign Yip
CBL

Re: 2013 FA signings (Yip)

Postby Murf on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

CBL wrote:Another signing for the A: Brandon Yip for one year. I suppose he could be another call-up if necessary, but a bit underwhelming to me (unless it means that some of our prospects are ready to make the leap to the main roster). I'm hoping some of these AHL signings don't take ice-time from our pups.

Coyotes Sign Yip

I wouldn't be so sure. He's 28 with 172 NHL games under his belt. We might like him to be only in the A, but I'm not convinced he's headed there. He could very well be signed as a depth forward with the Coyotes. My gut feeling is that we see him in quite a few games in a Coyote uniform.
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby CBL on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:04 pm

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Apparently, the coaches are going to let the players compete to see who will get NHL time; it should be an interesting camp (depending on whether or not we sign any others).

On another note, I saw that Chris Rawlings (a goalie) was signed to the Pirates for a year; that might make our goalie depth interesting in a few years. Sure, I doubt he's in the cards at present, but if he does well next season, I could definitely see Burke push for us to sign him (he's 6'5, 220 lbs). His stats don't really indicate that he has NHL potential at this point, but Burke could change that.

This signing (by Portland) also may indicate that only one of our prospect goalies will be playing on the Pirates roster (Rawlings would be the back-up I'm guessing). With the above in mind, there is also the possibility that GMDM may be moving one of our prospect goalies before the season starts.
CBL

Postby Matzel on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:36 pm

I worry that Yip will be a regular in the Yotes' line-up. :cry:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Murf on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:18 am

Matzel wrote:I worry that Yip will be a regular in the Yotes' line-up. :cry:

Agreed. And when you look at what else is out there I think the Don might be done shopping. Unless he's going to trade away a defenseman, looking for a scorer, I think the line up is all but done.
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby CBL on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:58 am

And when you look at what else is out there I think the Don might be done shopping. Unless he's going to trade away a defenseman, looking for a scorer, I think the line up is all but done.

I hope he's not done. With the Pirates signing Rawlings, he might be working on a trade that includes one of our prospect goalies (along with a prospect D-man). Although we could use several new players, 1 decent 2nd line (or first line) winger would make me feel much more hopeful for the upcoming season.

Ugh, as it is, it would be something along the lines of:
Doan - Ribeiro - Vrbata
Korpi - Hanzal - Boedker
Chip -Vermette - Moss
Kennedy - Klinkhammer - Biz

Yip

It is interesting to note that they haven't added Yip to the 'Yotes roster page yet, so I would guess that means he starts out in the A (unless he has a spectacular camp).

With the above, we need at least a 2nd line LW (moving Korpi down to a Korpi - Vermette - Chip line and leaving a Kennedy - Klinkhammer - Moss line). So, it would be nice to move Moss and Vermette, but I can't imagine either would receive a ton of interest (or potential return).
CBL

Postby Murf on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:50 am

Now take one out for injury, and move Yip up. That isn't pretty. And it's going to happen at some point. Take out two or three. Yikes.

Tippett can work wonders, but at some point the skill level is going to get you. You can't count on winning 2-1 grinders every night.

I wonder if GMDM is looking at cashing in some defensive depth for offensive depth. I don't think the answer is sitting out there as a UFA.
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors