Ribiero and Greiss signed

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Ribiero and Greiss signed

Postby Robert Earthpig on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:48 am

GMDM is off to the races already - as he's signed Mike Ribiero to a deal, as well as Thomas Greiss (our new backup tender), and re-signed Lauri Korpikoski and Kyle Chipchura.
Ribiero will bring some pop to our top six and will be our ipso facto Number one centre for the next year or two. Ribiero, Boedker and Vrbata may be an excellent line (speed, skill and smarts).
Have to admit, never been much of a fan of Ribiero but... we need offence.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427007
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Re: Ribiero and Griess signed

Postby penfold314 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:GMDM is off to the races already - as he's signed Mike Ribiero to a deal, as well as Thomas Griess (our new backup tender), and re-signed Lauri Korpikoski and Kyle Chipchura.
Ribiero will bring some pop to our top six and will be our ipso facto Number one centre for the next year or two. Ribiero, Boedker and Vrbata may be an excellent line (speed, skill and smarts).
Have to admit, never been much of a fan of Ribiero but... we need offence.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427007

Sounds like TIppet is trying to reassemble all of his old Dallas team. Or is it all his former players want to play for him again
penfold314
Prospect
Prospect

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Although I'm surprised at us picking up Ribeiro, I'm willing to give him a shot (I wish we would have signed him for about 1-2 million less and only 3 years). I'm not sure how his first season will go (it may take him a while to readjust to a defensive system), but it might be nice to see a Doan - Ribeiro - Vrbata line out there.

I'm not too keen on the Greiss addition, but he is apparently about 250K less than Babs received in Edmonton, so I suppose I can live with him for a season. My guess is that he'll be waived at some point (if one of our prospects excels or we can acquire a stronger back-up). He really doesn't fit the mould for a Burke-type goalie (Burke seems to like them at 6'3 or taller, but he is close). I'm guessing GMDM signed him once Babs accepted his contract in Edmonton just in case he can't find a better fit (he'd be fine for a season if Smith stays healthy).
CBL

Postby hammerglenn on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:55 pm

What's next for former Dallas players, Brenden Morrow?

I like the Greiss signing. He was the guy GMDM wanted 2 years ago.
hammerglenn
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:10 pm

hammerglenn wrote:What's next for former Dallas players, Brenden Morrow?
I like the Greiss signing. He was the guy GMDM wanted 2 years ago.

Well, then, hopefully it will work out. Of course, I'm somewhat happy to see Babs go, although he did decently for us, he was so inconsistent at times. Still, a character guy who may get some more game-time in Edmonton (although Dubnyk played 38 games last season). I was just looking at Edmonton's roster, and noticed Dubnyk is 6'5; I bet Burke would like to get him on our team :)
CBL

Postby coyotetony on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Inconsistency is just about the job expectation of the back-up goalie. it is difficult to keep your reflexes sharp with 20-25 games per year. Teams hope back-up goalies give them a chance to win on the softer teams and those teams that don't matter (Eastern Conference teams) much on the schedule.

Ribero's salary seems a little high for my liking, but that's the cost of a top 6 free agent on Day #1 of the Free Agent Race. I think the Coyotes' and their fans will be screaming for his head in years 3 and 4, but let's hope that he lights the lamp enough in the first 2 seasons of that contract to make it worth the price of season tickets.

Coyotes' listed as a Loser on FA Friday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--2013- ... 56911.html

Phoenix Coyotes: Mike Ribeiro wanted a five-year deal in Washington. The Capitals wouldn’t give it to him; the Coyotes gave him a four-year deal with a $5.5 million hit. They have their reasons. The franchise appears to be staying in Arizona now that the Glendale city council has approved an arena lease, allowing a new ownership group to buy the team from the NHL. The team needs to market itself, and it needs offense. Coach Dave Tippett once got the best out of Ribeiro with the Dallas Stars, too. But that’s a lot of term and a lot of dollars for a 34-year-old who padded his numbers on the power play with teammates like Alex Ovechkin and Mike Green. Can he do the same with Shane Doan and Keith Yandle? Can he do it as he ages?
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Bill Cosby
coyotetony
Top Line Center
Top Line Center

Re: Ribiero and Greiss signed

Postby Matzel on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:09 am

Honestly, I have never been a huge Ribeiro fan. I hope he can perform in a way that will justify what I believe to be a rich contract considering his age and expectations for the next four years.

Greiss on the other hand is a decent signing, especially as an upgrade over LaBarbara. Glad he's gone, because his best work was done in the dressing room, not on the ice. Let Burke work with Greiss and don't be surprised if he shines in some games during his season in the desert. Giving him a one year deal makes this a no risk signing.

Still looking for a trade that brings some offensive help to the desert. There are youngsters that just won't find time because of the defensive depth of this club. Might as well see what the open market can fetch for the likes of Rundblad and Stone...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:53 am

Matzel wrote:Might as well see what the open market can fetch for the likes of Rundblad and Stone...

Well, obviously Stone is worth a 3 year contract (not sure on how much it was for).

NHL.com wrote:The Coyotes on Friday signed goaltender Thomas Greiss to back up Smith. In parts of four NHL seasons with the San Jose Sharks, Greiss has a 17-16-3 record with a 2.52 goals against average and .912 save percentage. He played six games in 2012-13.

The Coyotes also announced they re-signed defenseman Michael Stone to a three-year contract and defenseman Chris Summers to a one-year contract. Terms of those deals were not disclosed.

Stone set career highs in NHL games played (40), goals (five), assists (four), points (nine) and penalty minutes (16) in 2012-13. He finished the season with a plus-2 rating. Stone also played 36 games with the Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League.

Summers has appeared in 29 games over three seasons with the Coyotes.

Linky link

I guess that leaves Boedker as our "roster" RFA (to be signed)

I suppose we should resign Rundblad as well (I can't imagine he'll get too big of an offer on the open market)
CBL

Postby Murf on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm pleased with both.

Labarbera was a character guy by all reports. But on the ice he is not a starter, and is not a good backup.

Ribeiro - love him or hate him, he should be good for .75 ppg. Pick any recent season, and that puts him at or near the top of our scoring chart. Tippett knows him and GMDM has earned my trust, so I'm going to give this a :thumbsup:
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors