Trade Talk: Philly possibilities

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Trade Talk: Philly possibilities

Postby CBL on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Just catching up on some NHL news and came across this interesting article:Michael Raffl Looking Good

Sure he's been slow to shine, but has worked his way to the Flyers' top line (although that's not saying much this season) in 21 games, which is not bad for an undrafted player. So, I'm thinking Rundblad for Raffl straight up. Flyers get an offensive-minded D-man (which they desperately need) who has decent potential (and a season or two to let him adjust by actually playing rather than sitting on the bench) and we get an unproven LW who seems to have strong potential if placed on a decent line.

Of course there is a slight cap issue in Philly (although it wouldn't affect the above trade), so let's sweeten the deal a bit to give them some additional cash:
Rundblad/1 point in 10 games($785k) and Boedker/21 points in 32 games ($2.3 mil) for Raffl/8 points in 21 games ($792.5k) and Voracek/17 points in 33 games ($4.25 mil). Philly gets an Offensive D-man and someone who could thrive on a less "defense-minded" team. We get two wingers that could excel with the right Center (Ribeiro). Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing a Doan - Vermette - Voracek first line and a Raffl - Hanzal - Vrbata second line if we split them up. I suppose we could throw in a draft pick of some sort for Philly as well if they wanted.

Get it done GMDM :P
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Philly possibilities

Postby Matzel on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:38 pm

I don't see this team taking on additional salary at this time.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:22 pm

It would only add $2 million, plus the cap ceiling is going up next year, so we'd need the extra salary (I'm assuming the minimum will go up as well).
CBL

Postby Matzel on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Not happening.

:wink:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Matzel on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:18 pm

^ If the cap goes up next season, the team will take on more cap next season. Not this...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:17 pm

So, you think the team is just fine as is?

Okay, I suppose just Raffle for Rundblad then, or is that $7,500 extra salary too much to take on this season :lookround:
CBL

Postby Matzel on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:44 am

I don't think the team is fine as is.

They need greater consistency out of a lot of players. They need to play within the system better. They need to be more disciplined and the PK needs improvement. The goal tending is mediocre on too many nights and the injuries to key players are not making things better, either.

Raffle for Rundblad won't change much of the above. More importantly, I don't believe the club will increase salary at this time. Any trades would see roughly the same amount of salary going out as coming in.

Just a hunch...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:21 pm

I think the new owners might be willing to take a swing at landing a bigger name player and add salary, just to try and kick start the lethargic fan base into caring more.
We could get much more for Rundblad in a package deal including a first rounder - a top six forward - than a newly emerged prospect.

Something is missing from this team this season; a give I haven't seen with this team in several seasons. The leadership is lacking when Doan and Morris aren't on the ice. Vermette has picked his game up - which he needed to do - but our top line guys aren't going like top line guys should. Vrbata, Hanzal, Ribeiro and Boedker are not consistent enough. They're not playing like guys who will make a difference. Our bottom six is doing okay - criminy, Bissonnette has the best point production per minutes played of ANY player in the NHL!! :shock:
Maybe he should be getting more games. :shrugg:
Our blueline has been lacking proven NHL quality, despite this team's crazy depth. Klesla popped the bed after his melon was mashed. Morris has been excellent when he's playing, which isn't much; Michalek is steady Freddie but fragile; leaving only Yandle and OEL as the only regulars thus far. Two good one to have as regulars and that is why the dogs are nipping at the playoffs instead of fumbling about with the Jets and Predators.
Smith has been okay - Greiss better. Too many bloody shots are getting through.

We have wicked depth on our blueline but it is puppy depth. The only proven NHLers are Yandle, OEL, Morris and Michalek. Morris and Michalek keep missing chunks of games, leaving Stone, Schlemko, Rundblad, Summers and Murphy to scrap for spots. While a great competition and training ground for these young players, it results in defensive breakdowns and giveaways etc., which are not trademarks of a Dave Tippett team.
Klesla's loss is enormous. We need two more veteran blue liners if we want to be pushing into the elite realm.
That means we either have to be patient and let this club grow, with Domi and Samuelsson appearing to be quality prospects heading our way next year, or go for broke and make a major shake up trade - using our defensive depth as our toolkit.

How about Boedker, Rundblad and our second rounder this year to Winnipeg for Evander Kane? Add a game breaker like that to eventually play with Domi and Ribeiro on a line - yowch! Ribeiro and Kane would be sick together.

I expect we will be patient and plod along - though I am betting GMDM has been given the green light by ownership to see what he can do to immediately improve the club.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Beat it lugan!
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors