Spezza Trade Talk

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Spezza Trade Talk

Postby Matzel on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:48 am

With the matinee vs. the Sens coming up today, let's talk about Spezza... In a poll on HFboards (Sens page), 45% of voters say "TRADE SPEZZA" (175 votes total at 9:00am ET today).

Is he what the Yotes need? Let's hear it:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spezza Trade Talk

Postby cin on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:02 am

No. I rather go for Michalek (if we are talking Ottawa) with money retained and hope for a resigning. We got 3 good centers already. A great center would be nice, but I don not think Spezza is the one.
cin
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby CBL on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:03 am

I'd prefer Michalek as well, but I'd be willing to take Spezza (depending on what we have to give up). Of course, placing him is another thing, but I guess we can move Ribeiro to wing. Of course, Spezza is also a righty, so we could move him to the Wing as well (although he'd done reasonably well in FOs) :

Ribeiro - Spezza - Doan
Korpi/Klink - Vermette - Boedker
Klink/Korpi - Hanzal - Vrbata
Kennedy - Halpern -Moss
CBL

Postby Matzel on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Here's my thoughts:

Michalek is scheduled to become UFA at season's end. Granted, with his brother already in the desert, he may well be inclined to resign with the dogs.

According to capgeek.com Spezza carries a significantly higher cap hit ($7.0mm) vs. $4.0mm in actual salary for next season. This could be very useful for the dogs as the salary floor is expected to rise for 2014/'15.

* The two are 29 (Michalek) and 30 (Spezza) years old;
* Spezza is a significantly more productive point producer than Michalek;
* Spezza - if he had to play on the wing - could take face offs (career FO% of .526);
* If Coach Tip aids Spezza in becoming more defensively responsible, he could become a complete package. His play making abilities are top notch and he is an accomplished scorer.
* I see Michalek as a speedy, hot-and-cold, streaky scorer. As long as he is healthy and engaged, he'd add offensive pop - alas with a lot less flexibility than Spezza would...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:31 pm

What would be the exchange for Spezza? After all, from your perspective (in the other thread), it's doubtful we would add additional salary this season.
CBL

Postby Matzel on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:45 am

CBL wrote:What would be the exchange for Spezza? After all, from your perspective (in the other thread), it's doubtful we would add additional salary this season.

It may sound contradictory to my opinion in the other thread. I eluded to the reason why I think Spezza is of interest above... he would 'save' actual salary for next season:

Matzel wrote:According to capgeek.com Spezza carries a significantly higher cap hit ($7.0mm) vs. $4.0mm in actual salary for next season. This could be very useful for the dogs as the salary floor is expected to rise for 2014/'15.

That said, I have little hope for this to happen.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors