Trade Talk: Yandle

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Trade Talk: Yandle

Postby CBL on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Although he has done exceptionally well this season, our most valuable (and tradeable) asset is Yandle. He has always been offensive-minded and served us quite well over the last few seasons. However, we seem to have an over abundance of scoring D-men. Would I like to keep him? Yes. However, I also realize that he is pretty much the best option to trade if we want to improve the team in a HUGE way. I'd be willing to let him go if we could land a top 6 winger along with a proven Veteran Defensive D-man. I could see us trading him to the East, but wouldn't mind trading him to the central division (at least we wouldn't see him as often as we would if he went to a Pacific team).

So, I figured I'd start this thread for possible (realistic) trades. For reference (according to capgeek), his current contract is 5.25 million per season through the 2015-2016 season.

I won't start with specific possibilities; instead I'll mention some teams worth considering:

Eastern Conference (my preference):
Pittsburgh--they seem to have an excellent core of Defensive-minded D man, so adding Yandle would really be the icing on the cake for them. Of course what would they be willing to give up for him?
Boston--You know they want him, but could we get what we need for him? Honestly, they are also doing fine on the scoring front and have done well defensively.
Montreal--This would be an excellent fit imo (not that Yandle couldn't improve any team), but I'm not sure what they would have to offer us
Philadelphia--Best bet, and may have the right pieces for the exchange. They definitely need more scoring and have a semi-decent D (and other scorers) to help Yandle in his defensive "challenges"
NY Rangers--Could definitely use the offensive boost and have some decent players to choose from
Detroit--ugh, I'd hate to see him go there, but he would be a welcome addition to keep them from falling out of the playoff picture. I'm not sure if they could help us on our wing however.
New Jersey--Another team with anaemic scoring but doing okay in the standings. They also have decent D to cover Yandle's weakness

Central Division (if necessary):
Colorado--They are in desperate need of an offensive d-man and have some excellent forwards that fit what we need. The only problem is the whole Western conference thing. We may be competing with them for a playoff spot, but Yandle may also help them knock SJ and ANH down several notches (which would benefit us).

Those are my thoughts for now; I'll add more specific possibilities later (depending on if others comment to the thread).
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Yandle

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Here's a thought - Yandle and our 2014 first rounder to the Rangers for Dan Girardi and Ryan Callahan.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:00 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:Here's a thought - Yandle and our 2014 first rounder to the Rangers for Dan Girardi and Ryan Callahan.

With the GMDM / Ranger$ connection I am sure this could be worked out... I'd say: Just do it! :cool:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby azhockeyfan on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:23 am

I can't see moving Yandle and the first for two impending free agents.
azhockeyfan
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Matzel on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:54 am

azhockeyfan wrote:I can't see moving Yandle and the first for two impending free agents.

Good point. I never considered contract length...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Here are some specific considerations (please note, other prospects picks may be needed--I'm just listing players of interest)

Eastern Conference (preferred trade partner):
Pittsburgh--Neal might be had (his NTC doesn't go into effect until 2015). His contract is longer than I'd like to see, but he is only 26 so it's not too bad

Boston--Iginla and Smith might be worth it. Of course each of them are finishing their contracts this year, so I think Boston is out of the picture (too many NTC/NMCs on their roster)

Montreal-- Pacioretty would solve one of our issues (LW). That would give us Pacioretty - Ribs - Doan line, which would be nice. It would also give us a stable winger (he's signed through the 2018-2019 season). Montreal has plenty of decent wingers that could make up most of Pacioretty's production as well (Yandle would make up the rest).

Philadelphia--Voracek & L. Schenn would be my main interest. Of course, if they wanted to trade B. Schenn as well, I'd be happy to accommodate them. Doan - B. Schenn - Voracek | Boedker - Vermette - Vrbata | Korpi - Hanzal - Moss | Chip/Klink/Biz - Halpern - Kennedy would be fine by me.

NY Rangers--I agree with the above in terms of Callahan (he'd most likely sign elsewhere after this season). So, perhaps we could get Hagelin, Girardi, and Staal out of them? that would give us Boedker/Hagelin - Ribs - Doan | Hagelin/Boedker - Vermette - Vrbata | Korpi - Hanzal - Moss, but more importantly it helps our core D. OEL - Z | Girardi - Murphy |Schlemko/Rundblad - Morris/Stone.

Detroit--The more I look at their roster, the less I see of interest (for Yandle). Still, Helm (C) might be a good addition as well as Abdelkader (RW) or Miller (LW). In terms of D, I wouldn't mind seeing Kindl or Smith in brick red, but they could be had for less than Yandle I would guess. Other than that, strong players are either in NTCs (Datsyuk/Weiss) or on ridiculously long contracts (Zet/Franzen).

New Jersey--Another team with limited options to choose from. A few of interest: Henrique, Ryder (although a bit older than I'd like to acquire), and possibly Greene. The problem here is that we don't really need another Center at the moment (but we could move Vermette to LW, I suppose). Doan - Ribeiro- Ryder | Vermette - Henrique - Boedker | Korpi - Hanzal - Vrbata.

Central Division (if necessary):
Colorado--Might be a good trade partner. Players of interest: Stastny, O'Reilly, and Parenteau. A few of their Defensemen might be worth condidering as well (Johnson & Hejda)
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Noted this elsewhere. Apparently Dan Girardi, a UFA at season's end, could be available in New York. He'd be a sweet addition to the dogs' blue line - a veteran stay at homer to replace Klesla and his rattled head. Additionally, Klesla could be dished for a third rounder or help on the farm as the playoffs near. Also, the addition of a good veteran would allow GMDM to deal Yandle, who would fetch us a ton.

Sam Gagner is also available in Edmonton. The Oilers may also be into dealing Jordan Eberle. How does this sound? Yandle, Klesla our 2014 second rounder and 2015 second rounder to the Oilers for Eberle and Gagner...

Our top lines would then be:
1) Boedker / Ribeiro / Eberle
2) Gagner / Hanzal / Vrbata
3) Klinkhammer / Vermette / Doan
4) Moss / Chipchura / Kennedy/Bissonnette

D would then become
D1) OEL / Michalek
D2) Morris / Stone
D3) Girardi /Murphy
PB - Rundblad/Schlemko

Our back end would be stronger (and less prone to giveaways), though not as offensively good. And we'd add to scorers to the lineup with upside. Eberle will be a point per game player again and Gagner is a 60 point a year guy. They are still nice and young and would grow with our core of OEL, Boedker, Gormley, Murphy, Domi, Samuelsson, Brown and Dauphin.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Re: Trade Talk: Yandle (Philly?)

Postby CBL on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:13 am

Might as well rekindle this thread since he's pretty much our main asset I'd be willing to trade (although a few other blue liners could be added if necessary).

Today's look is at the over budget team near me (Philly). Here are a few possible players of interest:

Forwards
($4.25 million) Voracek--a decent Right winger and might click with Hanzal or Erat (of course Erat is also listed as a RW so they may have to switch off a bit to see who does well on the left. He may be dropping down to the 2nd with Simmonds recent success. [2 seasons remaining]
(2.5 million) Brayden Schenn--I know they recently re-signed him to a rather "affordable" contract, but he's looking at 3rd line minutes (unless they move Lecavalier to LW/RW or trade him), but if they could add Yandle, they might be willing to consider it

D-men
($4.5 million) Coburn--A more veteran (and rather big) D-man (which we need). I'm not too familiar with his play, but I'm guessing he is more physical and defense-oriented [2 seasons remaining]
($3.6 million) Luke Schenn--If they are willing to part with him. He's not too fascinating, but I wouldn't mind adding him to the blue line [2 seasons remaining]
($3.5 million) Grossmann--Not too sure on him, but he's big and a veteran. With Coburn and Grossmann, the Flyers can at least part with one of them

Now in terms of possible trades (in order of preference):
Yandle ($5.25 million--2 more seasons) for Voracek (4.25 million) and L. Schenn (3.6 million) . Flyers shed 2.6 million and gain excellent scoring D-man (to eventually replace Streit). We get a decent RW that could do well with Hanzal and Erat along with a promising (and right-hand shooting) D man. I suppose we may have to throw in a late pick or lower-tier prospect, but still not too painful.

Yandle (5.25) for Voracek (4.25) and Coburn (4.5). This is probably more of an even trade, but I suppose we could use a pick or prospect as well. Philly sheds 3.5 million but gains an offensive d-man. We gain a decent RW and the veteran physical presence that we need.

Yandle (5.25) for Voracek (4.25) and Grossman (3.5). Philly sheds 2.5 million and gets Yandle. We get Voracek and an adequate (and big) veteran D-man. I'd want a bit more in this deal (a pick or prospect)

Yandle (5.25) and Summers (.6) for Voracek (4.25), B. Schenn (2.5 million), and L. Schenn (3.6). Philly sheds 4.5 million and gains Yandle and an excellent prospect in Summers (who would probably fit well into Philly's physical playing style). We get Voracek, a promising Centerman/LW (who would get much more playing time here), and a right-handed D-man that would most likely be on the second D-line with Gormley (using the current roster). We may have to add something else to this. Note: since they recently re-signed B. Schenn, I'm guessing this won't happen (if it was possible, this would be my top preference), but it would allow the brothers to remain on the same team (thus avoiding any potential morale issues).

Forward Combos (for Voracek):
1st line possibility: Doan - Vermette - Voracek (if he excels)--we really need a center, but this would still be an interesting line
2nd line Erat - Hanzal - Voracek (about right)--Good combination of physicality and scoring
3rd line Korpi - Gagner - Voracek (if he underachieves)--might surprise everyone

Combos (with B. Schenn and Voracek):
1st line: B. Schenn - Vermette - Doan (if he excels)--might be decent
2nd line: B. Schenn - Hanzal - Voracek (about right)--I kind of like this possibility
3rd line: B Schenn - Gagner - Crombeen (if he underachieves)--Not a bad 3rd line, although I wouldn't mind adding Chip to this line (I guess he can play both wings)
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Yandle (Boston?)

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:50 am

How about with Boston?

Krejci ($5.25 million) and Boychuk($3.6million) for Yandle ($5.25 million), Chip (.8 million), and a pick

We get a #2/#1 Center and a veteran D-man, Boston sheds ~$2 million along with an additional scoring D-man and an excellent 3rd/4th line versatile forward. this would also allow us to shop Vermette.
Centers: Krejci, Hanzal, Gagner, and Vitale/Klinkhammer.

I suppose we could also try him in a line with Hanzal and Erat (Krejci - Hanzal - Erat) if we keep Vermette.
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Yandle (Devils?)

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:04 am

I'm kind of going down the list of top 15 (salary-wise) and came across New Jersey. Although I looked at them earlier in the offseason, here's what I'm thinking now:

Yandle ($5.25 million) and Vermette ($3.75 million) for Henrique ($4 million), Ryder($3.5 million), and Greene ($3 million). Devils shed 1.5 million and gain the scoring D-man they desperately need along with a solid forward (although he'd probably be playing LW more). We gain a promising forward in Henrique (although the contract is a bit long for my taste), a decent forward in Ryder, and a veteran D-man that can also contribute to scoring (in the way of assists). I suppose we could also throw in Summers to make it an even trade (although 3-for-3s are rare).
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Yandle (Oilers?)

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:44 am

Although I'd like to see him traded to the East, a deal with Edmonton might work:

Yandle ($5.25 million) for Perron ($4.25 million), and a pick/prospect (perhaps Yakupov--$.9 million). Depending on rules and such, Schultz's contract would be nice to get as well (we could throw in Summers). Edmonton gets the scoring D-man they need and we get an excellent LW (who could easily play 1st line minutes--he's probably 3rd with the addition of Pouilot who is now making more than him) and a prospect as well (if it was Yakupov, perhaps Doaner, Vermette, and/or Korpi could straighten his work ethic out).
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Yandle (Maple Leafs)

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Hmmmm, another interesting possibility:

Yandle ($5.25 million), Vermette ($3.75 million), and Summers($.6 million) for Van Riemsdyk (4.25 million) and Kadri ($2.9 million). We get what would be a #1 LW and possibly a #1 (most likely #2) Center. They get a more veteran centerman, a top-line scoring D-man, and a promising young D-man (who's buried in our current line-up).
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Yandle (Rangers?)

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:36 pm

The Rangers could use a sparkly D-man, but would they be willing to pay the price? :

Yandle ($5.25 million) for Stepan ($3.85 million). I doubt they'd do this, but their unsigned Center RFAs (Kreider and Brassard) could make up his points. I suppose we could throw in a pick or prospect as well. In any case, we'd get the #1 Centerman we need and they'd get the high-scoring D-man they need.

Yandle ($5.25 million) and Summers ($.6 million) for Hagelin ($2.25 million) and McDonagh ($4.7 million). They'd get Yandle and a solid D-man (at least he's better than Kostka/Hunwick and would allow Moore another season or two to improve). We'd get a decent 2nd line LW (Hagelin - Hanzal - Erat) and a solid 2nd line d-man. I suppose we could substitute McDonagh with Staal (a big and seemingly solid D-man) if I'm asking too much in this trade.
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Yandle (Sabres?)

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Finally, how about the following:
Yandle ($5.25 million) and Vermette($3.75 million) for Hodgson ($4.25 million) and Stafford ($4.00 million). Sabres get the Offensive D-man they now need and a strong Center. We get a solid center and a solid RW. Hodgson could potentially play on the 1st and Stafford could be well-suited for 2nd line duties.
LW: Doan/Korpi/Chip/Klinkhammer
Centers: Hodgson/Hanzal/Gagner/Vitale
RW: Erat/Stafford/Boedker/Crombeen
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:55 am

One of the slug heads submitting delusions and twaddle to Eklund postulates that the Winnipeg Jets have fielded an offer from the Coyotes for Evander Kane. The supposed offer (which I am sure is dream cake from the Jets fan) is Yandle, Samuelsson and a first rounder in 2015 for Kane.
That trade would cheese me off. Kane is a head case extreme, which is why Winnipeg wants to get rid of him.
Yandle and a first rounder for Kane - fine. But adding in a prospect like Samuelsson would be dumb.
Yes, we could use Kane. Putting him on a first line with Gagner and Doan would definitely improve our forward depth but don't give up the farm.
Boggles my mind that a Winnipeg blogger would think Yandle would be a good return, considering the players the Jets have on their backend already. Pack of giveaway artists as they are now; add Yandle... :scratch: Don't know where these dreamers find their drugs...
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors