Trade Talk: Panthers Possibilities

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Trade Talk: Panthers Possibilities

Postby CBL on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Now that we are in a semi-decent position (standings wise), perhaps it's time to think about improvements to get us to the playoffs (this season) and at least win the first round (if not hopefully more).

I guess I'll start with Florida since I came across a few articles related to possible players they'd be willing to trade. They have a number of solid veterans, which is really what we need to push they younger players to the next level.

Forwards
Bergenheim (LW)--Could be the scoring touch we need. I wouldn't mind seeing a Bergenheim - Vermette - Boedker line. He has one more year on his contract at 2.7 mill, which isn't too bad.

Boyes (RW)--I've been interested in adding him for a bit, and this would be a decent time to do it. His contract expires after this season (1 mill), but he might be worth more if he clicks with the team (in lieu of testing the market). Currently, I'd say a Korpi - Klinkhammer - Boyes line would be nice

Goc (C)--I'm not sure what I'd do with him, but he might be a nice addition. Ribs has struggled, so I think a Ribeiro/Goc - Goc/Ribeiro - Doan line might be interesting. Both Goc and Ribeiro can play C or LW, so Tipp could switch them based on their FO%. Please note, I'm thinking of this as a 2nd line unless they really do well together

Gomez (C)--I'm thinking of veteran leadership here (3rd/4th line). Gomez has not done too well the last few seasons (mainly due to injuries, I'm guessing). Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a Chip - Gomez - Biz line or possibly a Korpi - Gomez - Moss line

Kopecky (RW)--We do need some upgrades on the 3rd/4th lines, so I'm thinking Kopecky may serve well for that. Start with a Korpi - Hanzal - Kopecky (physical and the potential for solid scoring). I know some don't want to break up the Hanzal - Vrbata matchup, but Vrbata deserves somewhat of a "promotion" (not that Hanzal hasn't done well) to 2nd or 1st line duties. I suppose there is always the option of a Kopecky - Hanzal - Vrbata 2nd line as well. Kopecky has 1 more year on his contract (3 mill) and could potentially excel in our system.

Upshall (LW)--I'd like to see him back in brick red. He is a bit pricey (1 year remaining on his contract--3.5 million), but exactly what we need at the moment (veteran leadership & someone who shoots the puck). I'd like to see either an Upshall - Ribeiro - Doan line, an Upshall - Vermette - Vrbata line or an Upshall - Vermette - Boedker line. He is also solid defensively (he's actually a +4 on a struggling team

Defense
Gilbert--I think he might be an excellent option for our current circumstances. Not only is he a strong passer, he would also give an additional leader for our young D. Of course, his contract is up after this season, but he might be worth re-signing (although I'm guessing he'd like to try the FA market). If anything, he would fill Klesla's initial role going into the playoffs.

Okay, now for the possible trade options (from our side).
Option 1--Boyes (1 mill) and Gilbert (900k) for Stone (1.15 mil) and Rundblad (785k). Florida gets youth (Stone--2 more seasons) and potential (Rundblad--1 more season). We improve our 3rd/4th line (Boyes) and add veteran leadership to our D

Option 2--Upshall (3.5 mill), Kopecky (3 mill), and Gilbert (900k) for Boedker (2.5 mill), Schlemko (1.2 mill), and Rundblad (785 k). We get two veteran forwards and a veteran D-man, they get a stellar young prospect (Boedker), a solid two-way d-man, and a potentially dangerous scoring D-man (eventually). There may have to be some additional things thrown into this to balance things out (I suppose Vermette could be offered instead of Boedker)

Option 3--Bergenheim (2.7 mill) and Gilbert (900k) for Schlemko, Stone, and pick/prospect. Gives FLA depth at D and gives us a decent winger and veteran D-man.
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Panthers Possibilities

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Like option three...
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Hulkzilla on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:30 pm

I wanted Boyes before season started. Don't care for any of the others. I doubt runbland would be taken if he went to waivers. Schlemko hit his peak and we never even knew it. I like Stone, It sucks for him to have to play with Yandle. I'd give him more time to learn than any other of our D.
Just gonna toss this question out..again..What's a Gormely? And when can it be used for something..I believe it has been aged now for 22 years. ( i know young still..but next year?) I just look at stats and I don't see anything to get excited about..I heard he will be a "beast". whatever that means.
The Liver is EVIL...and Must be Punished
Hulkzilla
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Matzel on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:20 pm

Hulkzilla wrote:Just gonna toss this question out..again..What's a Gormely? And when can it be used for something..I believe it has been aged now for 22 years. ( i know young still..but next year?) I just look at stats and I don't see anything to get excited about..I heard he will be a "beast". whatever that means.

According to Dobber Sports, a Gormley is the PHX Coyotes' 2nd highly rated prospect (Max Domi is #1, Connor Murphy #3).

Here's an article from January 29th of this year:

Jason Banks, Dobber Sports wrote:January 2014
– Gormley’s inaugural NHL game could be coming very soon. He is currently on a five game scoring streak in which he has posted eight points. He currently sits in a tie for eighth in defensive scoring in the AHL, but the more rounded Connor Murphy keeps seeing NHL ice. Currently Gormley’s homeland play is the concern, he sits with a negative 15 rating which is worst on the team, but through 12 games in January he is only one below par. David Rundblad has been bust in the NHL, and Micheal Stone struggling mightily, they could shake up within the organization before they acquire something from the outside. Gormley owners still won’t see much from him soon, we have to keep in mind he is only turning 22 in a couple weeks, the development path is trending upwards, patience with the highly talented, offensive, blueliner is key.

For some perspective, here are some scouting reports from the last couple of years:

Keith Duggan wrote:September 2013
- With nine defensemen signed to one-way deals ahead of him, Gormley was sent to Portland of the AHL on September 22nd. Phoenix has said they want to take a slow approach with their prospects and Gormley will benefit from another year in the AHL playing 25 minutes per game, running the power play and being a leader from the blueline. Depending on injuries and his play in Portland, he could receive a call up or two but will probably spend the majority of the season in the AHL.

Austin Wallace wrote:June 2013
- Though Gormley didn't exactly set the AHL alight in his first year as a pro, he still projects well as a top pairing defensemen with offensive ability. Such (cheap) skill will find its way into important minutes in the years to come, especially as the Coyotes franchise continues to struggle financially. He started the year off a bit slowly with some uncharacteristic positioning issues, not completely unexpected when trying to contain a whole new level of players, but eventually he was able to asset himself defensively. By the latter half of the year, he was noticeable (in a positive sense) in almost every game. While he was a minus- 3, defense is not a big issue for him. Like most defensemen, consistency should come with time and I would look for a big leap forward next year.

Brendan Ross wrote:May 2012
- Gormley was simply fantastic for the Shawinigan Cataractes during the 2012 Mastercard Memorial Cup. He was very efficient as a heads up player making crisp outlet passes as well as getting hard accurate shots to the net. Gormley finished third in tournament scoring and first in defensive scoring with three goals and nine points in six games. He was named to the Memorial Cup All-Star team and it looks as though the Coyotes' have another defensive gem on their hands here.

Derek LeBlanc wrote:March 2012
– Brandon Gormley is one the best defenseman in the QMJHL. He has elite skills and controls the game with his calming presence. He represented Canada at the World Junior Championship and led the tournament in points by a defenseman and was named top defenseman of the tournament. The 20-year-old was recently traded from Moncton to the Memorial Cup hosting Shawinigan Cataractes. Although he has been out since early February with a foot injury, he’s expected to return and play a pivotal role in the playoffs. The depth of the Phoenix Coyotes might be the only thing that slows this guy down. Top two potential but probably a couple years away from having an impact.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hulkzilla on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Thank you for the effort in educating me in Gormley, I was starting to think he didn't really exist and was just a name of something used to give hope, almost like a religious symbol or Santa Clause. I hear him get mentioned often in Coyote chats.
Also, I never heard of a Dobber either..Glad someone outside Coyote Corner says runblad is bad..(now we'll never be able to trade him, now that the word is out).
Back to the Gorm..his plus/minus is very disturbing..will we have to wait and nurture him, only to see him blossom into a Yandle Jr? :shrugg:
The Liver is EVIL...and Must be Punished
Hulkzilla
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Matzel on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Not many defensive prospects step into the NHL without some maturing and leaning on the job. As a 21 year old I don't think Gormley is expected to deliver Lidstrom-esque performances in the 'A'.

When you become suicidal about Gormley's +/- consider this:

* as of today, only 4 players having played for the Pirates this season are plus players (Brule, Klesla, Kennedy and Trevino);
* Gormley is the highest scoring Dman for the Pirates this season (29 P);
* 5 of Gormley's 6 goals have been scored on the PP;
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:18 pm

Gormley won't be a Yandle jr. He won't have Yandle's high end offensive skills. But he will also be a much better defensive zone player; much steadier with the puck. When Gormley is ready to go, Yandle gets traded. As for Rundblad - reckon he's destined to be a throw in on a deal down the road. Or we trade him for another failing prospect.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors