Trade Deadline 2014 - MOD EDIT: Erat to PHX

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Are the 2013-2014 Coyotes

Buyers
50%
Sellers
13%
Holders
38%
Decide after Tuesday's game
No votes

Total votes : 8

Trade Deadline 2014 - MOD EDIT: Erat to PHX

Postby Murf on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:35 am

The trade deadline is March 5th, at 1 pm Phoenix time. Are the Coyotes Buyers, Sellers or Holders?

As it has been said, this team is missing something. For some reason, they can't seem to pull it together for a complete game. Soft defense, inconsistent offense, suspect goaltending, mental breakdowns.

Maybe it can be fixed with a blockbuster trade. Maybe they should just pack it in and tank.

They have two games left before the deadline. Arguably, they are the two most important. 2 pts against STL puts them in the last playoff spot. 2 more pts against VAN gives some cushion between them and a chaser. 0 points, it's essentially over.
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Re: Trade Deadline 2014

Postby Murf on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:38 am

And here is an interesting site, for the math nerds among us:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western.html

Currently the Coyotes have a 25.4% chance of making the playoffs.
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby Matzel on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:49 am

Under Dave Tippet, the PHX Coyotes had become a club that was able to collectively deliver more than what the individual parts would have suggested.

Over the years, removing players such as Gordon, Winnik, Torres, etc. without adequate replacements, has lead to a different make-up of the team. Add Doan's illness related decline and Smith's inability to regularly perform to the same level as he did a couple of years ago and this club no longer exceeds what the sum of the parts would have you expect.

I think it is highly unlikely that this situation can be reversed with a deadline trade or a couple of call-ups. What individual player (or two?!) would put this Yotes squad over the top?

The worst thing is that a proper tank is no longer an option either. So the vicious cycle of drafting mid / late round in the entry draft continues. Sadly, this club is not good enough to compete and not bad enough to draft a franchise savior.

Lather, rinse, repeat. :drink:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:18 pm

They better be buyers.

This franchise has a wealth of young prospects that numerous organizations will covet (Gormley, Murphy, Rundblad) and it is high time one of them was dealt for help now.
Yandle must also be dealt - but not at the deadline. He'd fetch more at the draft etc.

Whether the dogs swing for the fence and land a player who would immediately become their top forward - (needed for how many seasons now? All of them!) or trade off guys like Vermette, Moss, Vrbata and Ribeiro (good luck with that contract!) to aim for next year... it's too damned late. We still end up with a crap draft spot. SO TRADE THE BLOODY PICK!

A package with our first rounder and one of Gormley, Stone, Rundblad or Murphy to a team in need of improvements on its backend would land us a quality piece - a player who would at least produce ala Ray Whitney 2011/2012, but younger.

Alas, I fear we are in for a sorry finish, placing just outside the playoffs as Coach Tip wrings all he can out of this lot and we he into the draft with a 14th overall pick. WEEEEEE. :bigpuke:
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Murf on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Among teams willing to trade, the names that would make a difference are probably untouchable.

What would you have to give for Tyler Myers? Vanek, Tavares, or one of Edmonton's young forwards? More than GMDM would likely part with.

A positive or negative of parity, depending on your perspective - fewer players available at the deadline.
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Bag of pucks for Tyler Myers - overrated. We don't need another danged young blueliner.

Vanek won't come here because GMDM knows he'd be a rental.

Tavares - dream dream dream on. We should have tanked properly back when he was the top pick. He would be EXACTLY what we need but we'd have to give up Yandle, OEL, Domi and two first rounders.

One of Edmonton's young forwards... good suggestion but we won't get Hall (untouchable). If we offered Yandle and a first rounder we MIGHT get Eberle. Don't want RN Hopkins - reedy, weedy weakling. And nuts to the Russian bum.

Hearing Hemsky chatter - and NUTS to that glass bauble of a player, too.

At this point, I say we try to dump Ribeiro (good luck), Vrbata and Moss for prospects/draft picks and trade Yandle at the draft. And trade one of Gormley, Murphy, Stone or Rundblad for a forward prospect and, while we're all groaning and crying, embark on another rat bastard mini rebuild.

Grade for the last rebuild: MEGA FAIL.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:30 pm

Thus far NHL quality players who will help the teams they are going to are fetching fourth and fifth round draft picks.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Well, at least we got rid of Rundblad. Linky Link

Of course a 2nd round pick in 2014 is equivalent to a 3rd or 4th in a good draft year, but at least something's a stirring. With the trade of 2 young defensemen, I'm hoping we're looking at adding another vet (along with a semi-decent winger). Perhaps Moulson (a LW which is what we need) could click with Ribeiro? I know he hasn't been spectacular, but a Moulson - Ribeiro - Vrbata 2nd line might work well or Moulson - Hanzal - Vrbata :shrugg: .
1: Doan - Vermette - Boedker
3: Korpi - Hanzal - Moss (could see Moss moved for a decent vet D-man)
4: Chip - Halpern - Biz/Klink (I suppose we could try to move Halpern as well and move Klink to C)
CBL

Re: ERAT TO PHX

Postby Matzel on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:33 pm

CAPITALS TRADE DISGRUNTLED ERAT TO COYOTES FOR KLESLA, BROWN

The Washington Capitals have traded forward Martin Erat just one year after acquiring him. The Capitals traded Erat and forward John Mitchell to the Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday in exchange for defenceman Rostislav Klesla, forward Chris Brown and a fourth round draft choice in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. In 53 games with the Capitals this season, Erat scored one goal and added 23 assists. The 32-year-old has one season remaining on the seven-year, $31.5 million contract he signed with the Nashville Predators prior to the 2008-2009 season. He carries an annual salary cap hit of $4.5 million. The move comes over three months after Erat confirmed that he had asked for a trade out of Washington in late November. He was traded to the Capitals from the Predators on trade deadline day last season.

"We've been looking at Martin for a long, long time," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said. "We're excited to have him."

While Erat is the top player the Coyotes were looking to trade for, Maloney said the team is still willing to make more moves before Wednesday's deadline.

Mitchell, 27-years-old, has never appeared in an NHL game. In return for Erat and Mitchell, the Captials receive a veteran defenceman in Klesla. The 31-year-old has one goal and three assists in 25 games with the Coyotes this season. In 659 career NHL games with the Blue Jackets and Coyotes, Klesla has 48 goals and 111 assists. He was selected fourth overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

Brown has no points in six regular season appearances with the Coyotes this season.He was drafted in the second round, 36th overall, of the 2009 draft.

Link
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Trade Deadline 2014 - MOD EDIT: Erat to PHX

Postby Matzel on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:11 pm

With Erat GMDM lands another reclamation project. A winger, who asked for a trade shortly after he arrived in Washington, with 1 goal in 53 games with the Caps this season. Not exactly the player who will put the dogs over the top, I fear.

The cash flow positive aspect is Erat's cap hit for the final remaining year (2014/'15) is $4.5 million while his actual salary is only $2.25 million.

I guess Don has hinted at more to come...?!
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:37 pm

But they've been looking at him for a while. It's at least a decent move for the rest of the season. With Klesla gone, not that he's played much, we still need that vet d-man.
Doan - Vermette - Boedker
Erat - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpi - Ribeiro - Moss
Chip/Klink - Hartnell - Biz

So, possible trade bait: Yandle and Boedker for a top LW (with at least two more seasons) and vet d?
CBL

Postby Matzel on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:57 pm

CBL wrote:
Erat - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpi - Ribeiro - Moss

Do tell! :wink:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Murf on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with Erat. That second line is dying for something - anything - to get them scoring again Plug him in and let's see what happens. Any you still have next year. Is it so far outside the realm of imagination that Erat could put up 15-35-50 next year, on a line with Vrbata and Hanzal? To me that seems plausible.

I don't know enough about Myers to say one way or another - But his build is a unique find. 6-8, 227? At 23 he has 300+ games under his belt. That is a fair amount of experience. Put that guy on a team that is decent already, and you might like what you get. His contract is the right style for the Yotes. Higher cap hit than real dollars owed.
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby Murf on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:14 pm

And also, I like the message GMDM sends by getting Erat. I think it shows that management believes that they can make it.

Contrast with Vancouver who basically surrendered today.
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby CBL on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:05 am

Matzel wrote:
CBL wrote:
Erat - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpi - Ribeiro - Moss

Do tell! :wink:

I can never get his name straight (same with Ribs--thus the clip). I wish I could blame it on auto-correct, but I was just posting quickly during the match :)
CBL

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors