2014 FA/UFA Talk

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

2014 FA/UFA Talk

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Looking at the remaining UFAs, I don't see any that would be game changers, so I figured I'd look at some of our other needs:

For this post, I'll focus on D...

We need a veteran defenseman to help us out. Here are a few possibilities:
Pitkanen (if healthy): 6'3 and could do well on the second pairing with Murphy (if we trade Yandle); otherwise, I guess he'd end up on the 3rd with Stone. If he re-injures himself on occasion, we have Summers or Schlemko to fill in. [1 season contract for reasonable money]

Morris: Well, he's familiar with the team and the structure, but may not want to return to continually bail out Yandle. Now, if we moved Yandle, I could see him doing well [1 season contract]

Murray: Big (6'3, 240 lbs) and (I'm guessing) physical D-man although he may be too slow for our D lines. I'd see him on the 3rd with Stone (which may not be a good thing) [1 season]

Ranger: Decent size (6'3, 210 lbs) and seems solid defensively. He might do well on a line with Murphy or Stone (and on the PK with Z). He's 29, so not as old as some of the previous mentions. [I'd go 2-3 seasons for him]

Komisarek: Risky, but could be a decent addition (6'4, 235 lbs) at the right price. I'd see him on the 3rd with Schlemko or Summers

Of the above, Ranger would be my pick.
CBL

Re: 2014 FA/UFA Talk

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:57 am

The urge to slot a proven NHL defender into our third D pairing must drive Coach Tip to fits of distraction. But why bring aboard a more expensive player who has really only one last shot at NHL work over giving a slot to one of either Gormley or Murphy - both players with large upside? The time is nigh to run with the kids on our blueline. Yandle, Michalek and OEL at the tender age of 23 are our vets who must ensure the kids are kept clicking. Ideally, another veteran defender would make us a better team in the short term but letting Gormley and Murphy shake off the rookie baby fat now will only serve to make the club better in the long run.
We are at the point in this team's development. Go with what you've got stockpiled and hope for the best, or slide down the standings this season and grab a potential star player in what is looking like a stacked draft.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Yep. As far as 'D' is concerned, I'd say 'run what you brung'. Give the pups a go in the show and allow for the inevitable mistakes. Could be part of a master plan to compete for McDavid... ;)
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote: But why bring aboard a more expensive player who has really only one last shot at NHL work over giving a slot to one of either Gormley or Murphy - both players with large upside? The time is nigh to run with the kids on our blueline. Yandle, Michalek and OEL at the tender age of 23 are our vets who must ensure the kids are kept clicking. Ideally, another veteran defender would make us a better team in the short term but letting Gormley and Murphy shake off the rookie baby fat now will only serve to make the club better in the long run.

While I understand the concerns, I honestly think we need two veteran D-man to help develop our youth. In terms of Gormley, if we moved Yandle (for a forward), he would have his opportunities. OEL/Z are a lock. I'm thinking Murphy has also earned his spot on the roster and needs more NHL ice-time. That leaves us with Schlemko, Gormley, and Summers to fight for the left side of the bottom two, while Stone should get the right side (not that we'd have to have a balance of lefties/righties). With all of this, that leaves the 2nd line left position that needs to be filled. I suppose we could go with Gormley there if he has a strong camp, but I'd rather ease him in on the 3rd. If we signed Ranger for 2-3 seasons, that would give us some veteran presence and allow us to switch in Gormley, Schlemko, and Summers depending on who earns the bottom 2 slot. Plus, a Ranger-Murphy pairing sounds much better than a Gormley-Murphy, Schlemko-Murphy, or Summers-Murphy pairing in my mind.

This leaves us with a few good young D-men (Stone, Gormley, or Summers) that could be thrown in to sweeten a future trade. From my perspective, at least Summers and Stone should be playing regular NHL minutes. Gormley may be at this point as well, but I haven't seen him play much (to gauge his defensive wiles).
CBL

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors