Trade Talk: Defensive possibilities

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Trade Talk: Defensive possibilities

Postby CBL on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:21 am

In looking at the Team GAs (11/8/14), here are some possible trades worth considering. I originally had Schlemko and Summers in mind as possible players to move, but obviously some of the options would require additional pieces:

Edmonton--Doubtful trade partner (since we're in the same division), but I wouldn't mind adding Petry (26 yo | 6'3 | 198 lbs | righty) and a forward
Buffalo-- good trade partner since they are still rebuilding. Meszaros (29 yo |6'2 | 223 lbs | lefty) or Weber (26 yo | 6'2 | 212 lbs | lefty) would be decent additions. Buffalo would get 2 serviceable D-men in either of these trades that could slot in to the #5/#6 positions on their current roster, which they could use with their limited depth on defense while allowing Schlemko and Summers to gain more on-ice experience.
Colorado-- Possible trade partner. "long-in-the-tooth" veteran Hejda (36 yo | 6'4 | 230 lbs | lefty) or mid-career Wilson (27 yo | 6'1 | 212 | lefty) would be decent additions. Either player gives us stronger (and more veteran) D-men in the last year of their contracts; Colorado gets a serviceable #6/#7 Defensive minded player (Schlemko) and a player with decent potential if he could get more ice-time (Summers).
Dallas--I don't see many D-men of interest (although I'd be fine with adding Jordie Benn), but would be willing to add a forward (Benn or Cole) although we'd most likely have to add a high pick or swap in a higher caliber player. Summers or Schlemko would improve their D roster a bit. How about Yandle and Schlemko for Jamie and Jordie Benn? That would somewhat address two areas of concern (a more veteran D and a LW)
NJ--Decent trade partner. Salvador (38 yo | 6'3 | 215 lbs | lefty) would be a good veteran addition. He's in his last year, so he might do well. Summers and Schlemko would add more mid-career player presence to a rather green blue line (Schlemko or Summers could possibly make their 2nd D line currently) along with being players who come from a defensive-minded team.
Columbus--I don't see much in the way of veteran D on this roster worth trading for, so we'd probably have to target a forward as well. Still, I wouldn't mind snagging Goloubef (24 yo | 6'1 | 195 lbs | righty) and/or St-Denis (28 yo | 5'11 | 192 lbs. | lefty). Of course, my main interest would be Goloubef (as the future 2nd/3rd D-line two-way righty that we need), but St-Denis could be a solid #7. Columbus gets a more seasoned defensive-minded player (with Summers or Schlemko) that could consistently play in the #6 position (so playing more than either player gets here). In addition, both Goloubef & St-Denis have two-way contracts, so we could keep Gormley up as our #6/#7 and send Goluoubef or St-Denis down if necessary (which we can't do with Schlemko or Summers).

Of the above, I'd prefer Hejda or Wilson to fill our current need, but if we could snag the Jamie and Jordie Benn, I'd be pretty happy :biggrin:
CBL

Re: Trade Talk: Defensive possibilities

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:32 pm

I dare say this year is the transition season for the young defencemen. We let DeMo walk and are giving the ice time to the plethora of younger guys in the system. That's a good thing and should continue. I don't see the need in giving away a Schlemko or Summers for a late 30s guy.
I'd rather see us package the two of them along with a second rounder in 2015 for Loui Ericksson. Some kind of deal to improve our top six and spread out the depth up front.
We have to let the young guys learn (Murphy is having sophomore hiccups; OEL had to re-focus - maybe got to cocky?) and that will hurt us in the standings.
Personally, don't have a problem with us giving the number four, five and six guy in Portland tastes of NHL action and angle for a top two pick in this year's draft. Would be better long-term for this franchise than giving a hearty effort and just making or just missing the playoffs.
If we're gonna go for it, then GO FOR IT GMDM. Swing for the fences.

Trade Vermette, Yandle, Schlemko and our 2015 first rounder to the Penguins for Malkin.
Snag some veteran help at the trade deadline, like Boyd Gordon back to anchor PK etc.
And let the blue line grow - because OEL, Stone, Murphy and Gormley are four quality defenders and will become a wicked foursome in not too long.
That said, I can Stone being the first defender traded because he could fetch a decent return.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:27 pm

I think the D needs to play to get more experience and continue to grow under Tippett's tutelage. Bringing in old war horses in their late 30s seems a step backwards to me. I was very happy to see DeMo walk to the benefit of the younger players. Now they have to learn by doing. If that means a (very) high draft pick next summer - that'd be an added bonus. :mrgreen:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:00 pm

Apparently there might be interest in Edmonton for Schlemko… perhaps we could package him and a second rounder to the Oilers for David Perron, who is apparently being shopped. He's breakable but talented and experienced. Would be an upgrade to our top six.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:Apparently there might be interest in Edmonton for Schlemko… perhaps we could package him and a second rounder to the Oilers for David Perron, who is apparently being shopped. He's breakable but talented and experienced. Would be an upgrade to our top six.

Are they not paying attention to the waiver wire? We did waive him, so they could have had him for his current salary.

I'd take Perron ($3.8 million | 2 years), Yakupov (925k | 1 year), and Nikitin ($4.5 million | 2 years, 6'4" ) for Yandle ($5.25 million | 2 years), Korpikoski ($2.5 million | 3 years), and Schlemko ($1.2 million | 1 year) ;)
Edmonton 9.2 million | Arizona 8.95 million
Edmonton gets 2 solid defensive players and an offensive D-man (that can occasionally play okay defensively) and we get 2 offensive players (one fragile, the other meh but cheap) and the big physical D-man that we need.
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:50 pm

I am now completely convinced that the dogs have to TANK and go try and snag Connor MacDavid. A play as such is WHAT we need. Anything else is meh meh meh.

Add a guy like MacDavid to go with Domi and Perlini etc. moving forward, with a true No. 1 blue liner in OEL in place. Damned amazing building blocks for a long-running championship caliber team.
Keep Vermette if possible and Doan of course, as well as Boedker and Hanzal.
Keep the core as intact as possible but take the foot off the gas. Play Smith till he drops.
Trade the likes of Erat, Korpikoski, Moss, Klinkhammer and Crombeen.
Perhaps a package of Yandle and Gagner could fetch something fetching.

This crew ain't got the stuff to run the zoo. We need a stud star player. Not only to actually become a good team with longevity but to build the fan base in empty-seats Glendale and to make the dogs a more marketable team continent-wide. AS it is now they draw flies; and media attention is reflected in that emptiness.

For the love of God Arizona - you have a chance to do SOMETHING RIGHT in terms of building a winner. A generational talent will be available in the top two selections. Go get one!

You made us fans suffer through the worst of re-builds culminating in the Gretzky debacle. Tippett and GMDM have done an amazing job building a competitive team. But it's time for this franchise to be more than just competitive if it is going to make it in Arizona long term.

Nuff sed. :yawn:
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Hear, hear! Image
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors