Offseason Discussions

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Offseason Discussions

Postby CBL on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:47 pm

I figured I'd start a new thread here for general discussion purposes. Sure, all of us are sick of the team at the moment, but it's a long offseason...

2015 Free agents (in order of average salary--current) and my thoughts:
Erat (UFA) - Bye bye
Boedker (RFA) - re-sign to 3-4 years
Crombeen (UFA) - Bye bye
Moore (RFA) - re-sign (two way) for two years
Moss (UFA) - Bye bye
Dahlbeck (RFA) - re-sign (two way) for two years
Domingue (RFA) - re-sign (two-way) for two-three years (although we have others coming up)
Arcobello (RFA) - re-sign for 2-3 years
McGinn (RFA) - re-sign (two-way) for 2-3 years
Cunningham (RFA) - I haven't been much impressed by him, so let him sign elsewhere
Campbell (UFA) - shoot him a 2-3 year offer, but not for too much. We can probably sign another (better) 27 year old defenseman

Tradeables:
Korpikoski
Vitale (although he plays his role well)
Hanzal
Stone

Keepers:
OEL
Rieder
Gagner

Fence-riders (we'd be fine keeping them or moving them):
Chipchura (although he's shown sound leadership)
Murphy (decent, but still needs seasoning)
Samuelsson (Up in the air--he hasn't really impressed me, but we should keep him another season and re-evaluate)
Szwarz (Same as Samuelsson--only has one more season on his contract, so keep and re-evaluate)

Source: I'm using Spotrac for contract information
CBL

Re: Offseason Discussions

Postby CBL on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:15 am

Well, time to re-kindle this thread...

In looking at our up and comers, I'm leaning much more towards drafting Marner if we can get another decent prospect in a trade for our # 3 pick. Marner will still go early in the first, so we probably wouldn't want to drop farther than #6 (# 5 to be safe). That leaves potential trade partners as Toronto, Carolina, or New Jersey. All are Eastern teams, so there shouldn't be anything preventing a trade.

Other players/picks may need to be added, but here are a few options:
Knodel (TOR)--6'6 D-man, stuck deep in the system's pool of Defenseman
Granberg (TOR)--6'3 Physical Defensive D-man.
Levi (CAR)--6'3 two-way defenseman
Biega (CAR)--6'0 two-way defenseman
Helgeson (NJ)--6'4 stay-at-home D-man
Hrabarenka (NJ)--6'3 somewhat offensive D-man, but also willing to block and stay between the puck and the net (might be a nice change). Health is a concern, but could take Z's former spot on the team
McPherson (NJ)--Solid 6'4 D-man. Does well defensively and can help offensively when necessary
Urbom (NJ)--6'4 D-man. May not play in North America (he's playing in the K), but a move to the Coyotes would allow him more NHL ice-time than he'd get in NJ

Unfortunately, TOR, CAR, and NJ don't really need D-men, but a talented offensive D-man like Hanifin may be tough to pass by for Toronto or NJ. Of course all three of the teams are probably eyeing Marner but Strome is a better pick at #3.
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:49 pm

I think it's a no-brainer that we draft Dylan Strome. He's a big, dynamic center - the like that is needed in the west. Strome, Domi and Duclair will make for a pretty special first line in a year or two.
If Perlini develops and players like Dvorak, Samuelsson, Dauphin and MacInnis keeping coming along, we've got a decent nucleus to build around.
Boedker, Hanzal, Gagner and Rieder (knock on wood) are quality forwards, too.
That said, next season is going to be a nasty pile of dung, me fears. At least this time we'll be ready for it.
I doubt Strome would crack the opening night line up and would go back to junior for seasoning and to play in the WJC.

At this point our starting line up will look something like this

1) Boedker / Hanzal / Doan
2) Duclair / Gagner / Domi
3) Korpikoski / Arcobello / Rieder
4) McGinn / Vitale / Chipchura

D1: OEL / Stone
D2: Murphy/Moore
D3: Gormley / Dahlbeck
Spare: Campbell

G1: Smith G2: Domingue

Now, said line up could surprise but I doubt it. The still major youth of our blueline will cause us numerous defeats and the youth and lack of size up front will hurt.
Can see the dogs easily being the lousiest team in the league and we'll all be here again next year, wondering if we'll get Auston Matthews or Jesse Puljujarvi in the lottery.
Personally, if we are going to re-build, re-build.
Hanzal is too fragile. Excellent player but too unreliable in the health department. Drafting Strome will give us the big center we need. Domi and Duclair are going to be quality players - first line potential talent along with Strome. Hanzal could be dealt this upcoming season for a top three defender with some experience.
Our D may become something special but the glaring lack of experience and snarl on the back end is a major concern.
I fear we may draft Noah Hanafin, who while possibly a decent player, is not what we need. We do not need another a young blueliner who could take three to five years to arrive, ala Gormley.
We are in a crappy situation again. This re-build will not be a one year thing.
For it to be successful it will take at least three seasons. Sucks I know - but... we ain't going to be a hot free agent destination for a few more years and trade options seem limited right now.
Maybe Toronto wants to trade up to land Strome (if for some reason GMDM doesn't want the most talented big center in the draft - aside from Eichel). GMDM loves his D-men and I can see him being swayed to trade down by the Leafs. For the love of God I hope it isn't to take on Phil Kessel's contract, or Dion Phaneuf's. They are both poisonous bums.
Still, some stuff is gonna happen at the draft - that seems a certainty.

The long off season of blither blather... :violin:
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Re: Offseason Discussions (FA yammering)

Postby CBL on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Although much can happen before the FA period opens up, I wouldn't mind signing Adam McQuaid (D | 28 years old | Right shot | 6'5 | 209 lbs). Boston will most likely not be able to afford him, but we certainly could. Of course, I don't want to overpay, but I could see a 3-4 year offer going his way for around 3 million per season (twice what he made last season). He would currently be a #1 pairing with OEL and has the NHL experience (340 games) that we are lacking on D.

Other possibilities (Defense):
Meszaros (29)--May want too much (although his stats aren't that spectacular). Excellent experience (695 NHL games) for his age. I wouldn't mind signing him for 3-4 years. He would possibly end up on the #1 pairing, but I think he might work better with Stone or Murphy rather than OEL.

Ballard (32)--Although injury prone, I wouldn't mind bringing him back as a veteran (having played 620 NHL games). He could do well paired with Murphy. He also has the reputation for being a solid blocker (which would somewhat help replace Z) .

Gleason (32)--Depending on salary expectations, he would be an excellent veteran (around 760 NHL games) to add to the roster. He'll probably get a better offer elsewhere, but stranger things have happened.

Erskine (34)--A bit older than I'd like, but I wouldn't mind signing him for 1-2 seasons. He has roughly 530 NHL games under his belt and has remained on the plus side for 6 of his last 7 seasons with the Caps. He seems injury-prone, but we do have a deep defense, so that could help

From there, I don't see much of interest on the UFA list for Defensemen (besides Z who I doubt would want to return to our non-contending team)
CBL

Postby CBL on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Hmmm, interesting piece from GMDM from June 10th:

1. Negotiations with Boedker continuing
2. Doan seems willing to return
3. Team looking for a new Goalie coach (I guess Burke is all but gone)
4. GMDM continues to talk to Tik's agent. I guess if we don't re-sign him by the end of the month, he becomes a UFA. I think we should sign him for 2-3 seasons and give him another shot here. He may be playing on the 3rd line, but I could see him on special teams as well.

Other items were discussed, but I felt the Tik thing stood out the most since we haven't heard much about him in the last few seasons.

Linky link--Contract Talks...Ongoing
CBL

Postby Matzel on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:34 am

Hate the thought of losing Burke. :mad:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:56 am

Matzel wrote:Hate the thought of losing Burke. :mad:

Same here, but I can't blame him if he wants to move ahead. Of course the loss also brings up the issue of signing a solid backup goalie. Smitty was less inconsistent with Burke than he was with his previous teams, but losing that influence is pretty frightening. We do still have Brendan Burke in the system, but I wouldn't be surprised if we move him to wherever Burke heads next (depending on what role Sean will play with a new team). If that were to happen, we would have Visentin, Domingue, Langhamer, and Lee in the system. Domingue and Langhamer will hopefully split starts in Springfield (until one excels), which would leave Visentin and Lee in Gwinnett (unless we move one of them--Domingue or Visentin would probably be more in demand than Lee since Langhamer should be untouchable in my opinion)

Free agent Goalies (to serve as backup to Smitty) of interest:

Bachman (27 years old | 5'10) would probably be a solid addition. His NHL numbers (17 W | 14 L | 2.93 GAA | .904 SV%) are decent, and he could be had for a decent price. He would also not be a "threat" to Smitty like Dubnyk was.

Greiss (29 | 6'1) would be nice to re-add to our roster. He'd most likely get more starts than he did with Pit (20 games) or when he was here before (25 games), especially with Burke leaving. At least Greiss showed that he do well as a backup (NHL numbers: 36 W | 30 L | 2.47 GAA | .913 SV%)

Lindback (27 | 6'6) could be worth considering. Of course, big goalies may not be what we need for whoever takes over Burke's position, but he has solid NHL numbers for someone who's been on some struggling teams (40 W | 51 L | 2.83 GAA | .905 SV%)

McElhinney (32 | 6'2) might be worth re-signing as well. He has decent NHL numbers (41 W | 51 L | 2.95 GAA | .905 SV%) and did decently as a backup in Columbus the last few seasons

Other than the above, I guess we'd need to trade for a solid backup.
CBL

Postby CBL on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Hmmm, came across another article saying that Vancouver is looking to trade one of their goalies (Markstrom or Lack).

Both are Big goalies and could fit well into our system:

Lack (6'5 | 27 years old) would probably be the best short-term fit. He's scheduled to make $1.1 million next season before going UFA. He would most likely not re-sign here after that, so we'd have him for one season (kind of a trend). Depending on our new Goalie coach's success, we might be able to move him at the trade deadline to a contending team for a decent return. NHL numbers: 34 W | 30 L | 2.43 GAA | .917 SV%

Markstrom (6'6 | 25 years old) would be more of a long-term signing (although he's struggled a bit). He's scheduled to be RFA this season, but it would be nice to sign him for 3-4 seasons; who knows, he might prove to be a suitable replacement for Smitty at some point. NHL numbers: 13 W | 28 L | 3.19 GAA | .896 SV%. I'd be more secure in this if we still had Burke as goaltending coach, but perhaps the'yll find a decent replacement who also works well with big goalies.

The article also mentions that Ottawa is interested in moving Lehner (6'4 | 23 years old). He's a bit pricey for a backup at 2.25 million (for the next two seasons at which point he'll be RFA), but could step into the starting role once Smitty's contract expires. Of course, as Smitty continues the next few season, his inconsistencies/injuries may increase, so Lehner could possibly get more starts. I'm not sure what we'd have to give for him, but it would probably be worth it as he's done well for a 23 year-old Goaltender (NHL numbers: 30 W | 36 L | 2.88 GAA | .914 SV%). Of course this signing may also "threaten" Smitty a bit. Still, I'm guessing a team will give up more than we can and use him as a #1

Another goaltender mentioned as being on the trading block is Cam Talbot (6'3 | 27 years old). Now, this is probably not the best acquisition since he'll be earning $1.45 million next season before going UFA (and most likely signing elsewhere). Still, his numbers are excellent for a backup (33 W | 15 L | 2.00 GAA | .931 SV%), even if we only have him for one season.
CBL

Postby Matzel on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Talbot was amazing last season when King Henrik went down due to injury....
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:10 am

Kind of a minor acquisition, but I wouldn't mind adding Trocheck (21 years old | C | Right shot | 5'11 | 190 lbs) to our roster. Florida needs a young goalie (among other things). I could see us trade Domingue for him. There may need to be other things involved (on either side), but it would be a solid acquisition. While Domingue may not make the roster next season (Montoya is the #2--his contract is up after next season), he could get called up if other injuries occur (they inevitably will with Luongo). Trochek has improved the last few seasons (22 points in 50 games last season) and would reflect our youth movement. He would probably do well centering the 4th line, but could be moved to the RW (and the 3rd) as well (Korpi - Chip/Vitale - Trocheck). Not a big move for next season, but Trocheck is projected to be a solid 2nd line forward as he matures.
CBL

Postby CBL on Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Another possibility. Apparently the Isles may be shopping Okposo. He's 27 and will make 2.8 million next season. He scored 51 points in 60 games last season and could be a decent fill-in while some of our pups transition. Currently we have Doan and Rieder as RWs, but Doan could move to the left (and the 2nd line if Boedker re-signs). That would leave Boedker - Gagner - Okposo | Doan - Domi - Rieder | Duclair - Chip - Arcobello | Korpi - Vitale - Samuelsson as our lines.

Of course Okposo isn't a first liner, but neither are Boedker or Gagner (on the most part), but he still scored more than all of our players last season and only played 60 games

In terms of what we'd have to give up, our #30 or #32 would possibly be enough (the Isles don't have a pick until the 3rd round), but we could throw in a prospect or 2016 pick as well. They can probably get more from another team, but it's worth mentioning.
CBL

Postby CBL on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:35 am

Another re-kindling of this thread.

I've been keeping up with the 30 on 30 reports and they are pretty informative from my perspective (although they do have minor flaws).

In reading the NYR report, I noticed that they mentioned the depth of the Rangers at D. One notable prospect that might be worth trading for is Dylan McIlrath (23 years old | 6'5 | 220 lbs | Righty). The problem is what to trade for him. The Rangers are only $100k below cap, and McIllrath's contract is for 600k (one-way). So, this means that someone else would need to be traded as well. Gormley ($850 k) would be a decent choice for them and has a two-way contract. After this season, the Rangers will most likely lose two D-men to free Agency (Yandle and Boyle) which would allow Gormley to get into the roster starting next season (or as a call-up this season).

So, I guess we could look at one of the following to add to the Rangers side of the trade:
    Tanner Glass--could be a solid 3rd/4th liner (2 seasons left on his contract | 31 years old | 1.4 million/season). It would give us a bit more veteran presence on the roster
    Kevin Klein--Defensive veteran (3 seasons left | 30 years old | 2.9 million/season). Righty who is a decent passer (17 assists in 65 games)
Both are probably a bit older than we need to add, but would be worth it since we have pups coming up that could replace them in a few seasons

With Glass or Klein in the mix, that would allow us more flexibility to trade the following:
    Chipchurra ($875k)--flexible forward that would be a solid healthy scratch for the Rangers until someone is injured
    Shinimmin ($600k)--probably wouldn't be in the current roster but could be called up and do decently on a 4th line
    P. Samuelsson ($600k)--probably deserving of a roster spot or as the 7th/8th D-man
    Martinook ($612k)--Could earn a 4th line spot
    Szwarz ($630k)--Could easily earn a 4th/3rd line spot (or as a call-up)
    Lessio ($830k)--Another solid 3rd/4th liner
    H. Samuelsson ($894k)--Solid 3rd liner that could challenge for a 2nd line role within a few seasons

With the above in mind:
    Adding Glass--Gormley and Chip (total of 1.73 mill) for McIlrath and Glass (total of 3.5 mill) would be a decent trade leaving the Rangers with additional funds for other trades/signings once we get closer to the trade deadline
    Adding Klein--Gormley, P. Samuelsson, and Lessio (total of 2.3 mill) for McIlrath and Klein (total of 3.5 mill). Gormley could get in this season and Samuelsson next season. If Lessio does well, he could beat out Glass or serve as a healthy scratch and fill in for injuries
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:43 am

Looks like we'll be finally giving the pups a chance to fill out the roster, which is a good thing. Should think we'll stink the league out and finish in the bottom three again. Crack at locally grown lad to star for team and help keep it in Arizona.
Seriously, if the dogs are able to snag Auston Matthews to slot in alongside Strome, Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Perlini, Merkley and Samuelsson - WOOF. Look at that top nine (add Boedker for veteran presence) and this team is off to the lights-being-shot-out races. Even if they pull off a freak out and finish in the top half of the league, we're still beautifully positioned moving forward, with OEL the anchor on the blueline.
We could go snag Franson and spend too much - I'd rather we stood pat and gave Gormley the chance to see if he can stick.
See the opening night roster as this right now...

1) Boedker / Hanzal / Rieder
2) Duclair / Vermette / Domi
3) Downie / Richardson / Doan
4) Chipchura / Gordon / Vitale
Spares: Lessio, Scott, Cunningham

D1: OEL/Michalek
D2: Stone/Grossman
D3: Gormley/Murphy
D4: Dahlbeck/Samuelsson

We have a lousy top line - more like a quality third line - but the second line has enormous potential. Our third line will be a huge SOB to play against and our fourth line could be among the best in the league. Puck possession from faceoff wins will be a strength, as Vermette and Gordon are among the best in the league and Hanzal, Vitale and Richardson are all excellent on the draw, too.

IF Smith plays to his ability, and IF Domi and Duclair can make statements, and IF Hanzal can stay healthy, the dogs will be a hard W and should be better than last season. They could also surprise and crack the playoffs in the number eight position.
IF...
Downie has a career year; he will bring sandpaper and stupidity to throw teams off their games. He is a for sure upgrade over Korpikoski.
Richardson, IF he can stay healthy, is a responsible, smart player who will fit in well with Tippet's system. All three guys on the third line could and should surpass 30 points each.
Rieder improves his output and flirts with 30-35 points.
Boedker should lead the team in scoring with about 50 points. OEL should be close to that figure, too.
Domi should bag 40, at least. Duclair should be good for 30-35 pts.
Hanzal would flirt with 50 points and possibly more if he could stay healthy. I give him 40-60 games played again, with a variety of ailments once again knocking him and this team down.
If all those things happen, the dogs will compete and be hard to play against.
If Smith falters and if the young D are exposed and exploited, expect another long season and another stocking of the cupboard.

I can see Doan being traded at the deadline for a crazy return and he can take a last swing at winning a cup. Then he'll re-sign for one more year and retire a dog.
I see Vermette being traded again for another juicy prospect and draft pick.
I see Hanzal being traded at the deadline, if healthy, to a contender in need of a giant at centre. He'll fetch a wicked prospect and high draft pick in return.
I see Richardson being dealt at the deadline for a decent return; young NHL-ready player.
And I can see Michalek being dealt again at the deadline for another quality prospect.
All making the dogs crazy young but crazy deep and talented.

This will be our transition year. Domi and the youngsters will start to emerge starting this season and rolling over the next two seasons, when Strome, Perlini, Dvorak and Merkley come aboard - injecting skill and goals.
And whomever we snag first overall this year will be the cherry on top of this re-build.
We need to re-stock our goalie cupboard and must again start drafting defencemen, but another high end forward to the cupboard will make the dogs one of the best young teams in the NHL.
Strome WILL become a first line centre; Domi a first line sniper winger; and OEL will be a perennial Norris candidate. These three pieces are things the dogs have NEVER had in Arizona.

All good. :onfire:
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:10 am

I doubt Boedker will return to us after this season (unless he has a mediocre season). I wish I had a working time machine to fast-forward a few seasons, but alas, I cannot find a stable flux capacitor :(

They may go into camp with the current roster, but I have a feeling GM DM will add one more 1st/2nd line winger before the season begins (or shortly into it). Whoever is signed/traded for won't make a huge impact but will help score more than 1-2 goals per game. I also think he may add one veteran D-man (via trade) if he can get the right deal. If the added winger and D-man happens (and depending on who we move in the deals), we could have a decent team.

In terms of the lines, although Tip said he'd start Doan on the 3rd, I think he'll end up on the 1st/2nd line (depending on who else we acquire). I'm guessing it will look something like:
Boedker - Vermette - Doan
Duclair - Hanzal - Rieder
Richardson - Domi - Downie
Chip - Gordon - Vitale
Spare: Scott

The main problem is that we have too many mediocre centers, so I'm hoping Vitale would be included as a part of a trade. I could also see Hanzal as having some value in a trade as well; he's never been great at faceoffs, so I would like to see him moved to the Wing position and crash the net more

For D, I would move Gormley and Samuelsson out (hopefully one or both could be included in a trade) and go with
OEL - Z
Dahlbeck - Stone
Grossman - Murphy

I think Murphy needs to be paired with a solid defensive vet to improve his game. I could see us trading Stone as well (if we get the right player in return). Of course that would probably not be the best move, but it would give Gormley a better opportunity.
CBL

Postby CBL on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:43 am

The Wings are $370 k over cap, so perhaps we could make a deal with them.

Defensemen
    Kindl (28 years old | Lefty | 6'3 | 199 lbs) - 2.4 mill per season for 2 more seasons (will be UFA). Somewhat veteran presence, decent size, could be a 30+ point player if he stays healthy. If he doesn't stay healthy we have decent depth
    OR

DeKeyser (25 years old | Lefty | 6'3 | 193 lbs) - 2.2 million for this season (will be RFA). Not quite the veteran we need, but would be a decent addition. He scored 31 points last season

Forwards
    Tatar (24 years old | LW/RW | 5'10 |185 lbs) - 2.75 million per season for 2 more seasons (will be RFA). Somewhat small, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Hanzal and Rieder. Apparently he can play LW or RW, so that would work well for us as well (scored 56 points last season)
    OR

Helm (28 years old | LW/C | 6'0 | 196 lbs) - 2.1 million for this season (will be UFA). I doubt they'd be willing to trade him, but he would be a decent addition (he scored 33 points last season). I think he could possibly be on the 2nd line with Hanzal and Rieder, but more than likely would end up on the 3rd line with Domi and Downie

Tradeables
    Dahlbeck (605 k)
    Szwarz (630 k)
    H. Samuelsson (890 k)
    Gormley (850 k)
    Lessio (830 k)
    Stone (1.4 mill)
    Vitale (1.1 million)
CBL

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors