2015 FA/UFA Talk

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

2015 FA/UFA Talk

Postby CBL on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Well, figured I'd start this thread now that the draft is over.

GMDM mentioned Needs: back-up goalie, 1 veteran d-man, 1 scoring winger
Additional needs: We could use a few Centers, 1-2 RWs and 1-2 LWs (I doubt all of these will be acquired in free agency)

Possible Veteran D-men:
    Pardy (6'4, 31 years old)--315 games with a +15. Decent sized and could do well. He is a lefty, which we don't really need. 2 year contract

Oduya (6'0, 33 years old)--664 games and a +58. A bit older, but meets the vet d requirement. He is a lefty, so he's not on the top of my list. 2 year contract

Meszaros (6'2, 29 years old)--Might be a solid fit (although he's a lefty). 645 games and a +25. 3 year contract

Martin (6'1, 34 years old)--A bit older than I'd like (and a lefty), but has played on an offensive-minded team, so that might be a refreshing addition. 697 games +100. 2 year contract.

Franson (6'5, 27 years old)--I'm sure he'll get a better offer than we will provide, but he would be a solid addition as a righty. He might be a solid line-mate for OEL and can be considered a veteran (400 games, +1). 4 year contract.

Possible wingers:
    Hoffman (LW, 25 years old)--Scored 48 points last season and could easily make our first line. 5-year contract

Comeau (LW, 29 years old)--Not a huge contributor (31 points last season), but would get more ice-time here than he did with the Penguins. 3-year contract

Beleskey (LW, 27 years old)--Only scored 32 points last season, but a change of scenery might improve his game. He'll probably want a pretty hefty amount, but a 4 year contract would be a decent offer.

Williams (RW, 33 years old)--Scored 41 points last season. He's a bit older than I'd like to add, but a 2-year contract would be about right

Stewart (RW, 27 years old)--36 points last season, but doesn't appear to be too defense-savvy. Maybe a 3-year contract

Stafford (RW, 29 years old)--43 points last season and I think we've been interested in acquiring him for a while. He;ll probably get a crazy offer from someone, but a 3-4 year contract would be fine by me.

Frolik (RW, 27 years old)--Scored 42 points last season. I'd say a 3-year contract would be plenty.

Fehr (RW, 29 years old)--Not really a "scoring" winger (33 points last season), but might be a decent band aid until some of our pups are ready; he also has decent size at 6'4. 2-year contract.

Eaves (RW, 31 years old)--Older than I'd like to add, but may be an okay option (if he stays healthy). Scored 27 points in 47 games last season. 1-2 years contract.

Possible Back-up goalies:
    Lindback (6'6, 27 years old)--Big goalie who seems to be a solid pick to fill the back-up role (thus not a threat to Smitty). 2.83 GAA and .905 SV%

Greiss (6'1, 29 years old)--I mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd like to see him back. He is a solid back-up and familiar with our system. With (I'm guessing) a new goalie coach (that doesn't prefer taller goalies), he may even be able to improve further. With a 2.47 GAA and .913 SV% I could see a team roll the dice on him as a starter, but would prefer to have him here for 3 years.

Allen (6'2, 24 years old)--He'll probably get a better offer elsewhere (and possibly as a starter), but he would be a solid back-up for Smitty. Of course, he could also be seen as a threat (a la Dubnyk). Still, I could also see him as a suitable replacement for Smith (if he has the patience to stick around). A 4 year offer would work well.

Others:
    Sustr (D, 6'8, 216 lbs, 24 years old, righty)-not a vet, but has 117 NHL games with a +14. Excellent size and a righty.

Ellerby (D, 6'5, 26 years old)--Now, while he's not really a vet in my mind (212 games and -13), he does have the size that would be nice to add to our roster. He's a lefty, but I think I'd prefer him over Moore (and possibly Dahlbeck). It doesn't hurt that he's a first cousin to Doan as well, which might help improve the captain's morale next season. 3 year contract. [off to the K]

McBain (D, 6'2, 27 years old)--He's a right hand shot and seems to be a solid passer. 301 games and a -18, so not really a vet or solid D-man, but worth a shot. 3 year contract

Chiasson (RW, 6'4, 24 years old)--Scored 26 points last season, but would be a suitable replacement for our 3rd line.
CBL

Re: 2015 FA/UFA Talk

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:35 pm

Hoffman would be a good pick up. Nyet to Williams (too much for fading skill) and Stewart (streaky and not worth the bucks). Beleskey would be good but he'll command more than he's worth after breakout season. Fehr's a decent plugger - not much more. Would have loved to see us snag Frolik. The Jets are going to miss him. Then again, they replaced him with a younger and more skilled Burmistrov. We scooped Downie off the scrap bin! :banana:
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Looking at news around the league, apparently Johansson might be available (Caps seem more focused on re-signing Holtby than Johansson). We could trade Hanzal and a pick for him. Caps get a big Centerman (something they need) and could move Kuznetsov to the wing. Johansson will probably run 4-5 million per season and would most likely beat out Boedker for first line duties (Johansson - Vermette - Doan looks good to me since Boedker hasn't really clicked on that line). He's 24, so I could see us offer him 3-4 years. Hanzal has two years remaining (3.1 million per year) and is a nice upgrade for the Caps (Backstrom - Hanzal - Laich - Latta would be a solid stable of Centers)

Caps
    Ovechkin - Backstrom - Oshie
    Kuznetsov - Hanzal - Williams
    Burakovsky - Laich - Beagle
    Chimera - Latta - Wilson

'Yotes:
    Johansson - Vermette - Doan
    Boedker - Domi - Downie
    Duclair - Richardson - Rieder
    Chip - Gordon - Vitale
    Spare or D: Scott

Not spectacular, but I could live with it
CBL

Postby CBL on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:03 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:Hoffman would be a good pick up.

I guess we'd have to trade for him, but he did quite well last season (and should probably be their #1 despite MacArthur seeming to be the current #1). With that in mind, I still wouldn't mind acquiring M. Michalek. He only scored 34 points in 64 games last year, but would probably earn the #2 spot (unless Duclair shows he can handle it--which I'd rather not see this season). M. Michalek (30 years old) has 2 years remaining at $4.0 per, so that would be a suitable plug while our pups get a bit more seasoning. M. Michalek - Domi - Rieder could work, but M. Michalek - Domi - Downie seems better to me.

I'm not sure what we'd have to give in return, but a prospect and/or late pick ought to do it since he's probably a 3rd Line LW for them (if they re-sign Hoffman) at this point.
CBL

Postby Matzel on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:08 pm

IF Hanzal ever could stay healthy... he'd be a beast! Domi taking his place (especially in this division) seems to be asking too much of the under-sized, big-hearted youngster. He'll need time to acclimatize to the show, but he won't soon be able to shut down the top centres of the Western Conference. Hanzal can do it 40% of the time. 60% of the time he's on IR. :wink:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Matzel on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:13 pm

CBL wrote:I still wouldn't mind acquiring M. Michalek. He only scored 34 points in 64 games last year, but would probably earn the #2 spot (unless Duclair shows he can handle it--which I'd rather not see this season). M. Michalek (30 years old) has 2 years remaining at $4.0 per, so that would be a suitable plug while our pups get a bit more seasoning. M. Michalek - Domi - Rieder could work, but M. Michalek - Domi - Downie seems better to me.

I'm not sure what we'd have to give in return, but a prospect and/or late pick ought to do it since he's probably a 3rd Line LW for them (if they re-sign Hoffman) at this point.

:nono: NUH-UUH! We already have one Michalek. Milan is overpaid for what he does.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Actually, I was hoping the Sens would pay for about 40-50% of his salary (I guess this means we'd have to give up more than I proposed previously). 34 points in 64 games is not too awful and he'd probably score more here playing 2nd line minutes (with our current roster). Considering that Domi and/or Duclair may not even make the roster, it wouldn't be that bad of a signing (again if they kept some of his salary).

With the pups out of the equation, we'd be looking at a M. Michalek - Hanzal - Richardson/Rieder 2nd line. I could even see a M. Michalek - Vermette - Doan line doing decently if we move Boedker (or he becomes inconsistent/injured)
CBL

Postby CBL on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Matzel wrote:IF Hanzal ever could stay healthy... he'd be a beast! Domi taking his place (especially in this division) seems to be asking too much of the under-sized, big-hearted youngster. He'll need time to acclimatize to the show, but he won't soon be able to shut down the top centres of the Western Conference. Hanzal can do it 40% of the time. 60% of the time he's on IR. :wink:

Well, I suppose we could go back to a Duclair - Domi - Downie line (with Scott possibly on D) and move Richardson back to Center on the 2nd line (not too appealing to me)
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:59 am

Richardson on the second line would be depressing.

Scott on D would be even more depressing.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 am

The addition of any one of Oduya, Meszaros, Franson or Carle would substantially improve our D. Franson ain't what he was supposed to become but he'd be a good guy for our third pairing. Oduya could be a good fit with OEL. Meszaros and Carle would also bolster our top six.

I kind of think management (see also ownership) wants the dogs to suck again next year so they can snag another top end talent and complete the rebuild with a cherry on top (Matthews). Don't think they really care if they stay in Arizona or not, too. Bolstering the D with vets instead of giving ice time to Gormley, Murphy etc. would certainly make the dogs more competitive and less likely to finish dead last.

Just think - the dogs finish last or in the bottom three and have a shot at Auston Matthews - a local boy too - and the team moves forward with a core of Matthews for first line; Strome for second line centre; Domi, Duclair, Perlini, Dvorak, a seasoned Boedker and Hanzal (third line). And Nick Merkley - remember his name. He's gonna be a gamer. Reminds me of Doug Gilmour.
Suddenly this franchise has gone from being stacked on the back end and thin up front to stacked up front and thin on the back end - sans OEL.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:24 am

^Oduya signed with the Stars, I think.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:36 am

there is still the possibility of Meszaros, Franson, or Carle signing here. Of the three, I think Franson would be the best fit. I could see him do well with OEL. From there, I'm not sure how the rest of the D would look:

OEL - Franson. This would allow OEL to focus a bit more on the offensive side of things (not that he needs further focus in that area)
Grossmann - Z . I guess this would be the 2nd D-line (although I'd prefer to see Grossmann on the 3rd--if not as the #7)
Dahlbeck - Stone. I guess this would work okay. Stone seems to have more of a scoring touch than Murphy, but I could see a Dahlbeck - Murphy line as well
Spares: Murphy/Gormley

The more I think about it, the more I'm happy with the current D; however, it would be nice to upgrade Grossmann to Meszaros or Carle, but I doubt that will happen. We should probably trade Gormley or Stone. Both are solid, but we need another vet to be competitive. Stone is probably worth more in a trade than Gormley, but either of them would be an excellent addition to a stronger team. I'm not sure what type of contract Murphy has, but I'm thinking he should be in Springfield more. He has excellent potential but just isn't quite there yet (7 points in 73 games and a -27 is pretty rough). Of course, if we could pair Murphy with a defense-oriented vet (Grossmann - Murphy might be a solid 3rd line pairing), his game would most likely improve.
CBL

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:45 am

Other interesting possibilities (to add to our system/depth) as I browse through various team's UFA lists:

Forwards:
Jordan Samuels-Thomas (6'4 | 190 lbs | LW | 25 years old) - Not sure about his speed, but wouldn't mind seeing him in Springfield for a year or two (with the possibility of making our roster)

Kellan Lain (6'6 | 210 | LW/C | 25) - I could see him as a possible replacement for Hanzal (or as a call up once Hanzal is inevitably injured next season). Signing Lain may also be worth a shot if we could trade Hanzal (even if he's not quite ready for an NHL roster slot).

Scottie Upshall - He always did pretty well here, so I wouldn't mind re-signing him. He's 31, which is not too old. He's currently listed as a RW, but we could move him to LW as well. He'd have to re-establish chemistry with our current roster, but I could see a Chip - Gordon - Upshall or Upshall - Hanzal - Rieder line doing decently.

Scott Timmins (5'11 | 191 | C | 25) - Has done decently at the AHL level and could be a solid player worthy of occasional call-ups.

Danick Gauthier (6'2 | 209 | LW | 23) - This would be more of an AHL signing, but he could evolve into a roster player (eventually). Although he has struggled getting AHL time, perhaps a stint in our system (not as much competition as the Tampa Bay system in terms of forwards) would improve his game.

Cody Kunyk (5'11 | 194 | RW | 25) - A decent prospect that could possibly be shifted to LW if needed. He'll still need a year (or two) to be ready for an NHL spot, but could be a decent call up as well.

Mike Zalewski (6'2 | 209 | LW | 22) - Still needs some time at the AHL level, but could be a solid addition to our roster in a few years. In our system, he'd get more ice-time to better mature as a prospect (and may eventually have 3rd/4th line potential).

Curtis Glencross (6'1 | 200 | LW | 32) - A bit older than I'd like to add, but I could see him do decently with us (he scored 35 points in 71 games). In terms of lines, I could see a Glencross - Vermette - Doan, Glencross - Hanzal - Boedker, or Glencross - Gordon - Downie doing decently.

Defensemen:
Colby Robak (6'3 | 207 | D | 25) - Lefty who probably needs another season or two in the A but has decent size.

Brett Bellemore (6'4 | 225 | D | 27) - Righty with decent size although he only has limited NHL experience. If anything, he'd be a solid #7.

Tomas Vincour (6'2 | 205 | D | 24) - Another righty, but younger than some of the others mentioned. He has done okay so far, but is one of those AHL/NHL borderline players. Perhaps a Defensive team might get him to solid NHL minutes. I'd say he'd be a solid #7 with a bit more potential than some of the other D-men in this list.

Thomas Larkin (6'5 | 220 | D | 24) - A big righty that still needs some seasoning. He could be a solid replacement for Z in a few seasons with some work on his physical/blocking play.

Corbin McPherson (6'4 | 210 | D | 26) - A righty that could be a solid bottom pair addition. He is more of a two-way D-man which rarely hurts a team.

David Shields (6'3 | 216 | D | 24) - A two-way defenseman who has done well at the AHL level. He's a righty and could do well in Springfield until he's ready for NHL duty.

Yannick Weber (5'11 | 199 | D | 26) - Could be a nice fit to ease some of the growing pains of our young pups. He's a right-handed shot and can score (21 points in 65 games last season). This could allow us to ease Murphy into the line-up a bit better than we have.
CBL

Postby CBL on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:56 am

Well, with Fehr signed, the UFA market for our forward needs is dried up. I guess we'll have to rely on a trade of some sort for this (or rely on the pups).

I guess I'd still be interested in acquiring one of the following vet d-men though (in order of likelihood):

Carle (6'0, 30 years old)--Lefty, but would be a solid veteran presence for our pups. He has played 660 games and has a +79 which is commendable (even though he's been on decent teams). I'm guessing he'll end up elsewhere, but wouldn't mind having him on the team for 3 seasons.

Meszaros (6'2, 29 years old)--Might be a solid fit (although he's a lefty). 645 games and a +25. 3 year contract

Franson (6'5, 27 years old)--I'm sure he'll get a better offer than we can provide, but he would be a solid addition as a righty. He might be a solid linemate for OEL and can be considered a veteran (400 games, +1). 4 year contract.

On the forward front, I wish we would have put in an offer sheet for Hoffman. The kid's only asking for 3.4 million (which is probably higher than he'd like in anticipation for the arbitration) after a 48 point season. We could have possibly signed him for a two-year 5.5-6 million (total) contract, which the Sens probably wouldn't match (and we'd lose a 2nd in compensation I believe). Oh well, perhaps we can sign him next season if he does decently this year.
CBL

Postby CBL on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:24 am

On another note, we currently only have 7 roster players under contract for 2016-2017 (Smith, OEL, Vermette, Michalek, Hanzal, Richardson, and Vitale). This may change, but I'm guessing only Murphy, Rieder, and possibly Stone will be offered extensions this season.

I'm guessing most of our UFAs will sign elsewhere (except maybe Doan). Other than that, it will be time for the contracted pups (Domi, Strome, H. Samuelsson, Perlini, Dvorak, MacInnis, Duclair, and Dauphin) to shine.

Others that will need to prove their worth this season (wherever they are playing) include Dahlbeck, Cunningham, Gormley, Lessio, Plachta, Szwarz, P. Samuelsson, and Shinnimin.
CBL

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors