2015 FA/UFA Talk

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Re: 2015 FA/UFA Talk

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:16 pm

Like to see Franson brought aboard. His size, right shot and offensive ability would all be a boost to the back end. Our D is far too soft at this point. Lots of skill and good shots and some shot blocking prowess, but very little in terms of dangerous snarl. I could see Franson gelling with OEL and them becoming an elite top pairing D unit.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:33 am

With Franson signed to Buffalo, only one player remains on my original UFA list: Meszaros (6'2 | 223 lbs | lefty | 29 years old). With Gormley traded, Meszaros would be a nice addition to push Dahlbeck (who has a two-way contract). I wouldn't mind seeing a third D-line pairing of Meszaros-Murphy (or Meszaros - Elliott) with Dahlbeck as the #7.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Meszaros - Z pairing on a PK unit
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:54 am

I'd be good with that. As it is our D is brutal, sans OEL.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Well, we currently have the lowest cap in the NHL with 12 million available. Obviously, we don't want to get to the cap, but we could make an addition or two before the season.

Detroit is 1.3 million over cap, so perhaps a trade with them could be mutually beneficial. They have bunches of NTCs/NMCs/long-term contracts, so I'll focus on players who don't have any of the 3. In order of preference... :

Tomas Tatar (LW | 24 years old | 56 points last season | 2.75 million) - I'd love to snag him, but we would have to give up too much for him. Vitale (1.1 mill), a prospect, and a pick would be as close as we could get and they could probably get a better return from another team.

Darren Helm (LW | 28 years old | 33 points last season | 2.1 million) - This would be my second choice. We could probably get him for Vitale and a pick.

Jakub Kindl (D | 28 years old | lefty | 2.4 million) - This might work. We could get him for Vitale and a prospect or pick.

DeKeyser (D | 25 years old | lefty | 2.2 million) - scored 31 points with a +11 last season, so I could see us swapping him for Stone (1.1 million) who only scored 18 points last season. DeKeyser would be a decent fit for us and Stone would do well for the Red Wings. OEL-Z, Grossmann - Murphy, DeKeyser - Elliott / Dahlbeck

Kyle Quincey (D | 30 years old | lefty | 4.25 million) - I'm not a big fan of this trade option, but he scored 18 points and had a +10 last season, so he's not too awful. I would definitely want more "youth" included in this trade (from Detroit), so something like Quincey, Sheahan (950 k | 23 years old | C/LW | 36 points last season), and Glendening (628k | 26 years old | C/RW | 18 points last season) for Stone (1.1 million | 25 years old | D), Vitale (1.1 million | 30 years old | C), and Chip (875 k | 29 years old | C/LW) would be nice. We get a decent scorer in Sheahan (2nd/3rd line), a solid 4th liner/healthy scratch in Glendening, and a strong veteran 2nd line D-man to move Grossmann down to the 3rd (OEL - Z | Quincey - Murphy | Grossmann - Elliott/Dahlbeck). We improve our overall Defense significantly (putting more pressure on the forwards to score). Wings get a right-handed scoring D-man (for when Green becomes injured) a strong 3rd line Center (Vitale), and a versatile 4th/3rd line forward in Chip.

CBL

Postby CBL on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:52 am

I was browsing through the NHL site and came across the article about Semin (and his contract being terminated). I'm not sure what the proper process is to acquire him at this point, but I could see us adding him to the roster for the rest of this season. Admittedly, he's another RW, but I could see him possibly click in a Doan - Vermette - Semin, Doan - Richardson - Semin, or a Duclair - Chip - Semin line. I wouldn't mind seeing him play on a line with Tikhonov which might work well (except that they both play RW). Perhaps shifting one of them to LW or C might work (Tik was 50% in the faceoff circle against St. Louis and Semin was 100% in the faceoff circle in one game--I have no idea how many FOs each took).

As disappointing as his play has been this season, he's still better than several of our current forwards. If he clicks, we could re-sign him for a few more seasons.
CBL

Previous

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors