Latest from the Spector

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Re: Latest from the Spector

Postby CBL on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:45 pm

I could see Boedker in this sort of trade

Boyes $4.0 million
Boedker $1.1 million

That would be 2.9 million change on their side and they'd get a promising RW

Assuming Boyes is decent at the C, this might be good, but I'd like to see a draft or prospect come our way as well. Of course Boyes is pretty decent, so perhaps we'd have to throw in a prospect and or pick :shrugg:

Now, I think a straight up Boyes for Boedker exchange favors us, but Boedker definitely has upside that could come back to haunt us (especially if Boyes leaves after the season).

So, while we get an edge, we should be, since they are trying to get under the cap ceiling. So I say, Boedker for Boyes & a 3rd (or an older prospect). I guess if they wanted Boedker & a pick for Boyes & a prospect, I might be interested :wink:
CBL

Postby Kaibur on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:18 am

CBL wrote:I could see Boedker in this sort of trade

Boyes $4.0 million
Boedker $1.1 million

That would be 2.9 million change on their side and they'd get a promising RW

Assuming Boyes is decent at the C, this might be good, but I'd like to see a draft or prospect come our way as well. Of course Boyes is pretty decent, so perhaps we'd have to throw in a prospect and or pick :shrugg:

Now, I think a straight up Boyes for Boedker exchange favors us, but Boedker definitely has upside that could come back to haunt us (especially if Boyes leaves after the season).

So, while we get an edge, we should be, since they are trying to get under the cap ceiling. So I say, Boedker for Boyes & a 3rd (or an older prospect). I guess if they wanted Boedker & a pick for Boyes & a prospect, I might be interested :wink:

Wow. You'd give up Boedker for a year of Boyes at $4.0M?! I wouldn't even consider this!

Boyes isn't great at center, but then neither is Korpikoski and if we can't find anything elsewhere, that's who will be at the spot. I'd be willing to move Pyatt or Stempniak and a lower tier prospect/pick, but I'm not giving them a blue chipper and cap space. We're not a charity. I won't be surprised if Boedker puts up 40+ points this season, considering Maloney has said that he will be given an enhanced role this year.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby CBL on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Honestly, Boedker doesn't seem to fit into the system (admittedly he hasn't been given the opportunities either), so why not move him (if we can get a decent pick/prospect)? We have okay depth on the wings and could move him. Sure, he has excellent potential, but I don't think he'll be seeing it here. I wouldn't put it past Boedker to ask for a trade by the middle of this season if we don't utilize him better; we might as well get a 50 point scorer out of the deal (rather than a 15 point player). Sure, he may get close to 30 points this season, but I can't see Tip adusting the strategy too much to allow him more. Plus, Boedker would have more of a chance to excel in the Sabres system than he ever will here.

I hope he proves me wrong, of course, but for some reason I don't see his role changing too much this season (despite what DM says).
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:59 am

Boedker for Boyes? Egads NO!
We could probably snag Boyes for a second or third round pick, seeing as how Buffalo needs to pare salary and he packs a fairly large one.
Boyes would be an okay addition but not for a blue chip prospect who is likely to break out this season.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:18 pm

I hope he does have a breakout season, but I don't think he will (here). So maybe I'm too quick to move him, but it would be nice to have some more players that put up over 50 points in a season. I didn't do too much research but we have roughly 2-3 wingers that put up > 50 last season (Doan, Whitney, and Vrbata--well 48 for him) and Yandle of course. Thus of our current roster, Whitney, Doan, and Yandle are the top point getters with Vrbata coming close. Korpi got 40, so he will need to break that 50 mark this season as well.

Yes, we're a defense first team and that strategy has got us to the playoffs the last 2 seasons, but we can't score worth a crap which has cost us plenty of games (especially in the playoffs).
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:26 am

Ah, yes, but that is the thing with these young guys. Boedker hasn't been given a chance to really strut his stuff because ice time has been limited. That said, he was a force in the playoffs at times, just like Turris. And I think both of these guys are going to break out this season.
Boedker could easily become a 50 point player in a couple of seasons. Meanwhile, he's blazing fast and is a good two-way player, who will be useful on all four lines. Boyes is $4 million per for MAYBE 50 points, and he doesn't bring the speed or the upside of Boedker, or the trade bait possibilities.
The true key to the dogs' season this year isn't in goal but with breakouts from several major young players, from Boedker and Turris to MacLean and OE-Larsson, as well as Miele.
IF those kids can push their careers forward, the dogs will once again be WAY tougher to play against than all the tall foreheads are once again predicting they will be. Knobs.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Of course now we may be paying 4.3 million for a player that will perhaps score 35 points and has no real trade-bait value, but at least we didn't trade Boedker for him :lol:

And with Stempniak gone, we can't really get rid of any other RWs, so Boedker looks like he'll be getting his chance.

I guess the only possibilities are D-men or LWs IF there are any further Center additions.
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:55 am

There is always the potentially juicy first or second round pick that could be dangled.
And Langkow will be a fine trade candidate and would fetch a useful prospect or second rounder come deadline time if the dogs are out of it. Adding Langkow to your roster for a playoff run would be a smart move. Like Doan, he is a big game player.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Previous

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors