Jeff Carter - The Coyotes need to think about this one

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Re: Jeff Carter - The Coyotes need to think about this one

Postby chutepeiffer on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Turris does have the determination and drive. I just feel bad the organization will not be at a point to make a real run until after Doan is retired. There's always next year and the future with the kids. I agree... but I feel for Doaner...
chutepeiffer
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby Kaibur on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:23 am

chutepeiffer wrote:Turris does have the determination and drive. I just feel bad the organization will not be at a point to make a real run until after Doan is retired. There's always next year and the future with the kids. I agree... but I feel for Doaner...

I don't agree with this. I think it is more likely that by the time the organization is ready to make a serious run at the Cup, Doan moves down to the third line or so and isn't expected to shoulder a significant portion of the offense, but chips in in myriad other ways. People have said for several years now that on a Cup competitive team, Doan is a supporting role player.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby RemoAZ on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Kaibur wrote:
chutepeiffer wrote:Turris does have the determination and drive. I just feel bad the organization will not be at a point to make a real run until after Doan is retired. There's always next year and the future with the kids. I agree... but I feel for Doaner...

I don't agree with this. I think it is more likely that by the time the organization is ready to make a serious run at the Cup, Doan moves down to the third line or so and isn't expected to shoulder a significant portion of the offense, but chips in in myriad other ways. People have said for several years now that on a Cup competitive team, Doan is a supporting role player.

Agreed Doan belongs on the Hanzel line for sure.
STH: 109 Row C Seats 1 & 2
RemoAZ
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby RemoAZ on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Was just reading about Philly and Kovy. If they sign him, they probably have to move two $5 mil guys, Carter being one of them. Putting Prucha in the deal to soften the amount of extra cash we would spend plus the money we saved from not signing Stemp, Lombo and Z could be enough. Man that would REALLY upgrade our scoring potential.
RemoAZ
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby white_tiger on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:54 pm

RemoAZ wrote:Was just reading about Philly and Kovy. If they sign him, they probably have to move two $5 mil guys, Carter being one of them. Putting Prucha in the deal to soften the amount of extra cash we would spend plus the money we saved from not signing Stemp, Lombo and Z could be enough. Man that would REALLY upgrade our scoring potential.

I figure by weeks end Stemp will be back in the fold.. DM said Stemp had told them he was going to test the waters but would like to stay. He just wanted to see what he might be worth. His problem is he is still looked at as a one season guy.. So I see GMDM signing him to a 2 year deal for just a bit more thne he made last year.
5th Year Season Ticket Holder
Sec 209 Row O 3
white_tiger
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby Kaibur on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:44 pm

white_tiger wrote:
RemoAZ wrote:Was just reading about Philly and Kovy. If they sign him, they probably have to move two $5 mil guys, Carter being one of them. Putting Prucha in the deal to soften the amount of extra cash we would spend plus the money we saved from not signing Stemp, Lombo and Z could be enough. Man that would REALLY upgrade our scoring potential.

I figure by weeks end Stemp will be back in the fold.. DM said Stemp had told them he was going to test the waters but would like to stay. He just wanted to see what he might be worth. His problem is he is still looked at as a one season guy.. So I see GMDM signing him to a 2 year deal for just a bit more thne he made last year.

No way. He made $3.5 million last year. There's not way he gets a raise above that. He'll be lucky to get a match of what his cap hit was last year ($2.5 million). Anything more than that and we both can't afford him and don't need to gamble on him. Let's face it, his scoring is at least somewhat inconsistent. Sign him to a 1 year deal at $2.25 and if he scores 30 goals, let him chase the dollar signs. Either way, it still doesn't address our needs down the middle.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby white_tiger on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Kaibur wrote:
white_tiger wrote:

No way. He made $3.5 million last year. There's not way he gets a raise above that. He'll be lucky to get a match of what his cap hit was last year ($2.5 million). Anything more than that and we both can't afford him and don't need to gamble on him. Let's face it, his scoring is at least somewhat inconsistent. Sign him to a 1 year deal at $2.25 and if he scores 30 goals, let him chase the dollar signs. Either way, it still doesn't address our needs down the middle.

Everyone keeps saying what we cant afford. When really only DM and the league know what that number is.. With Lombo and Z gone and if no other big names are possible there is more for others.. Stemp and Hanzal as 2.. BUt we will see in a week or so... WHat happens with Kovy will be a big decider in what is out on the market still ..
Sec 209 Row O 3
white_tiger
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby Kaibur on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:47 pm

True enough, but we can make a fairly educated guess as to where the budget stands. Last season was just over $44 million. GMDM said the league had authorized a "slight increase". In discussions, we've assumed this to mean a couple million: somewhere in the neighborhood of $46-47 million in actual dollars, with the cap number mattering a lot less because we won't spend anywhere near the cap limit. Including Schlemko, but excluding Hanzal and Sauer, we currently have 18 one-way roster contracts, with three forward and one defense spot open, and we sit at just about $42 million even.

With those parameters, and even if we allowed that the budget were somewhat higher, say $49 million or so, signing Stempniak to a $3.5 million contract (or slightly more) would be impossible without moving other contracts. Or am I way off base here?
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby white_tiger on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Kaibur wrote:True enough, but we can make a fairly educated guess as to where the budget stands. Last season was just over $44 million. GMDM said the league had authorized a "slight increase". In discussions, we've assumed this to mean a couple million: somewhere in the neighborhood of $46-47 million in actual dollars, with the cap number mattering a lot less because we won't spend anywhere near the cap limit. Including Schlemko, but excluding Hanzal and Sauer, we currently have 18 one-way roster contracts, with three forward and one defense spot open, and we sit at just about $42 million even.

With those parameters, and even if we allowed that the budget were somewhat higher, say $49 million or so, signing Stempniak to a $3.5 million contract (or slightly more) would be impossible without moving other contracts. Or am I way off base here?

Thats why I think it is higher.. The minimum is 43.4 mil. Last year it was 40.8.

So if we had just over 44 that is about 4 mil oever minimum. If we got a increase which implied more play room vs just the same ammount over minimum to me. We should have right around 48-49 mil.. Figure 4 mil over minimum gets us to 47.4 and a little more should at least mean enough for a low end 3rd liner which would be another 1.5? So that gets us to 49 without a lot of work..

I expect 1 more signing at most and the kids for the rest. But then I am doing what everyone else is.. guessing:)
Sec 209 Row O 3
white_tiger
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:14 pm

I expect Turris to make a statement this season.
He might not make the club out of camp but with a need for a top two line centerman, he'll get a look. He'll have added 15 pounds since he was last lacing 'em up for TGO and he's had a full season in the AHL, where he performed at a top pace as a 20/21-year-old — as did MacLean.
Our club is not going to spend goofy money or go deep for a Jeff Carter type player, or a Simon Gagne. Love both of 'em and love to see one of 'em in the dogs' uni but can't see it happening.
We have SIX elite prospects who all be vying big time for roster spots: Turris, Tikhonov, MacLean, Boedker, OE Larsson and Goncharov. How sweet is that? Yes, they're all years away from being elite NHLers but only one or two seasons for the likes of Turris, Tikhonov and Larsson. Boedker may need a full AHL-only season to get his game turned around and our lack of scoring wingers means MacLean is likely to be the guy sticking following training camp.
I can see Turris coming along after Christmas and giving our club an injection of scoring and offensive skill.
In a couple of seasons Turris will be as good as Carter etc. Book it.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby RemoAZ on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:46 pm

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/Blog/JimGintonio/90337

“This year,” Tippett said, “I think you might see a happy medium. I think some of our young players really benefited from the year down in San Antonio last year, and I’m looking forward to training camp and some of these young players coming in and trying to push veteran players out.

Love that comment by Tippett. Tells me it's an open competition and he's going to give the young guys a legitimate shot. I can see some of our top young guys pushing Korpo, Prucha and Pyatt for minutes if they aren't on top of their game. Exciting stuff!
RemoAZ
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:27 am

Still lots of free agents out there who would help us out. GMDM is sitting in the weeds looking for another Robert Lang, I reckon.
As rosters become clearer and training camps get underway, the still available and useful will float to the surface.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby kingbrutis on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:28 am

Cap geek says the Flyers are 2.5 million over the cap. They need to do something. Hawks are still 1 mil over also.
kingbrutis
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 am

If we can plunder the Hawks or the Flyers - yay. If not, c'est la vie.
The best part about our talented young guys is they're not peach fuzzy chilluns anymore. Turris, Tikhonov, Boedker and MacLean are all nicely seasoned now, from their respective NHL experiences to last season when they all took steps forward (except Boedker, who took a step back, but that's to be expected of such a young'un.)
I fully expect two of those four players to stick after camp - likely Turris and Tikhonov, as we need our center slots firming up.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Kaibur on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:30 pm

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369793

Jeff Carter to the Blue Jackets for Voracek, the #8 and a 3rd round pick. The dominoes are starting to fall.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

PreviousNext

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors