Pirates future in Portland is in doubt

Here's the place to sound off about the Portland Pirates of the AHL, the Gwinnett Gladiators of the ECHL or anything related to minor league hockey.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Postby wildcat48 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:59 pm

By Chris Roy Published: 30th August 2013

PORTLAND – The Portland Pirates are scheduled to open their regular season in less than six weeks, but whether they will ever play a game in the newly renovated Cumberland County Civic Center remains in serious doubt.

Link>>>>>>
wildcat48
Prospect
Prospect

Pirates, CCCC at odds over lease

Postby wildcat48 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Pirates, CCCC at odds over lease
By Justin Pelletier, Lewiston Sun Journal Published: 30th August 2013

If the Portland Pirates are going to play anywhere other than the Cumberland County Civic Center — this year or beyond — it’s not going to be far away.

Link>>>>
wildcat48
Prospect
Prospect

Re: Pirates future in Portland is in doubt

Postby Matzel on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Is it really a surprise? We should know more in two weeks.... :palm:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBL on Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:18 am

Man, county/city governments are a joke. Why the hell would there ever be an offer (for the alcohol sharing) when it is against state law? Now, the county seems to be trying to chase the team out so they can bring in another AHL team that won't be as "demanding" of revenue sharing. Perhaps government officials should be familiar with the city, county, state, and national laws BEFORE running for election. My advice, give them a test related to the multiple levels of government and make their results public. I mean we are moving more and more towards standardized testing in schools that eventually become tied to budget/taxpayer information (that also become public), why not do so with other areas taxpayers are "investing" in? Admittedly city/county level officials may not be as huge of a budget area as schools, but it definitely becomes so at other levels, but I digress :P

Let's hope that both sides in can come to an agreement that is fair to each...

Of course, I wouldn't mind if the franchise moved closer to Arizona after this season (Kansas City might be worth considering) if the two sides can't come to an agreement.
CBL

Postby Don on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:21 pm

CBL wrote:
Of course, I wouldn't mind if the franchise moved closer to Arizona after this season (Kansas City might be worth considering) if the two sides can't come to an agreement.

I'd mind. Unless we got another AHL team. I don't care where they play, I'm 30 min from either. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to get a few games this year. 8-)
Don
Rookie
Rookie

Postby CBL on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Don wrote:
CBL wrote:

I'd mind. Unless we got another AHL team. I don't care where they play, I'm 30 min from either. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to get a few games this year. 8-)

I'm guessing the following will happen. The Pirates will move (next season) and the county will bring in another team (or expansion team if any are created). I doubt they'll lose AHL hockey in the area.
CBL

Return to Minor League Hockey Sound Off