Brule leaves Pirates for Russia

Here's the place to sound off about the Portland Pirates of the AHL, the Gwinnett Gladiators of the ECHL or anything related to minor league hockey.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Postby wildcat48 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Chris Roy | Maine Hockey Journal

PORTLAND – Gilbert Brule is no longer a member of the Portland Pirates.

Brule left the American Hockey League team on Monday for greener pastures – literally – in Russia, signing a one-year contract with Mettalurg Magnitogorsk of the Kontinental Hockey League.

READ MORE
wildcat48
Prospect
Prospect

Re: Brule leaves Pirates for Russia

Postby CBL on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Oh well, I was hoping he had another good season (or two) in him, but apparently not (at least for the Coyotes). Kind of a crappy thing to do to the Pirates ("I'm not in the NHL, I'll go to Russia"). Perhaps someone will change his birth city from Edmonton, AB to Irkutsk on Wikipedia :P

Interesting that he was recently featured in the Lewiston Sun Journal (4 days ago):
Lewiston Sun Journal wrote:" [The coyotes are] a team that know me well. That's why I came back here," Brulé said. "(Phoenix coach Dave) Tippett knows me well. They know the way I play. I just had to get playing again.

"It helps, because they know what kind of player I am and what I can do," Brulé added, "I think it's just a matter of me getting to play some games, finding my groove and getting back into the swing of things here."

Hopefully others will step up, or we could sign another forward that would allow Szwarz to head back to Portland (he's been a healthy scratch here for a few games).
CBL

Postby CBL on Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:24 pm

ummm, color me confused...

as of 11:45 AM November 20th, 2013:
Coyotes Website wrote:Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced today that the Coyotes have signed forward Gilbert Brule to a one-year, two-way contract. As per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Didn't he recently sign in Russia? Perhaps he arrived, took a step off the plane and said "Portland weather ain't so bad, and I might even be able to move back to Arizona." He then turned around and flew back :)

Linky-link--"Coyotes sign Brule to a one year two-way contract"
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Guess it was a ploy by Brule to get signed... :shrugg:
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Murf on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:46 am

KHL regular season ends March 4. Presumably, he could return to Portland and be called up, if necessary? Or is there a rule against this?
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Return to Minor League Hockey Sound Off