Prospects (2015-2016)

Here's the place to sound off about the Portland Pirates of the AHL, the Gwinnett Gladiators of the ECHL or anything related to minor league hockey.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Prospects (2015-2016)

Postby CBL on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:18 pm

I figure I'd post a new thread since we will hopefully be keeping a close eye on prospect development.

For this post, I'll just mention our depth at forward. In looking at the US National Juniors invites, we are well represented with 4 of our prospect forwards receiving invites:
    Christian Dvorak (Drafted #58 in 2014)
    Christian Fischer (#32 in 2015)
    Conor Garland (#123 in 2015)
    Ryan MacInnis (#43 in 2014)

It's also worthy to note that Auston Matthews, Matthew Tkachuk, and Charlie MacAvoy (all 2016 eligible) were invited. I only mention this since we may end up drafting one of them next season.
CBL

Re: Prospects (2015-2016)

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Watched Nick Merkley and Dylan Strome play for Canada last night - they won 4-1 and Strome scored a quality goal.
Merkley was as he is in the dub - in the thick of every post whistle scrum, the cause of some, and you can see he has decent heads-up offensive skills, too. Back in the sorry days when Chris Brown was our top offensive prospect or we had hopes for Andy Miele, the arrival of Merkley would have made him by far the top forward prospect. But with Domi, Duclair, Strome, Perlini, Dvorak and Samuelsson all in the pipeline, he's simply just another quality prospect.
While losing sucks, we've been stockpiling MUCH needed talent up front the last couple of drafts.
And here's hoping Conor Garland is more Martin St. Louis than Brendan Shinnimin!

Finally, I think it would be the bee's knees for us to finish dead last and win the lottery in 2016 and draft Auston Matthews. Cor blimey, I get dizzy thinking of this potential 2017/18 season line up:
1st line: Domi / Strome / Duclair
2nd line: Boedker / Matthews / Perlini
3rd line: Dvorak / Hanzal / Samuelsson/Fischer/Lessio
4th line: Merkley / VETERAN? / VETERAN?

Lots of potential firepower there!
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:25 am

Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:25 am

Coyotes have three prospected invited to try out for Team Canada! All three should make it, too. Dylan Strome for the first line; Brendan Perlini for the second line and Nick Merkley for the fourth line, or so it would appear.

http://www.tsn.ca/team-canada-names-wor ... r-1.402465
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:49 pm

:thumbsup: good stuff; thank you for the link
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:16 am

The good ole WJC is upon us and it's exciting for dogs fans.

Like last year, two Coyotes' prospects (though last year they weren't pro teammates at the time) are making two-thirds of Canada's top line. Dylan Strome is playing extremely well. Canada's best forward thus far. A force every time he's on the ice. Brendan Perlini is playing left wing on the line. He's tallied a helper but is around the net all the time. Bad luck/great saves have robbed him of two goals thus far.

Ryan MacInnis and Christian Dvorak are looking solid on Team USA; more so Dvorak who is playing in the top six. Have to say, Auston Matthews is a BEAST.

We've got three players on Team Sweden too. A goalie, forward (Jens Looke) and a defender, I believe. Sorry, don't want to screw up their names. Looke looks like a pesky third liner type; decent smarts.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:41 pm

Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Minor League Hockey Sound Off