Charlie "Chuckles" Sheen

Have anything non-hockey related to say? Post it here!

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Charlie "Chuckles" Sheen

Postby CBL on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:37 am

Okay, I was hoping to avoid commenting on this, but alas, it has crept into what little television watching I do (aside from 'Yotes games), so I might as well express myself here :)

*Soap Box placed on the ground*

I fear the American public have devolved in intellect. I remember researching TV when it was first made available to the public and there were concerns over how the audience would react. Many Americans (especially older ones) often confused reality with what was on TV. A decade or so later, people began realizing that TV was a medium for entertainment and not necessarily "pictures" of actual events.

Now, after TV being around for a looooong time, apparently people are returning to this view. Reality TV should have been a good hint that not everything we see is actual reality. Not only did the cast members "act up" for the camera, but the editors only selected a small percentage of the footage to release to the public. Add to this how edits would be selected to "portray" characters a certain way, and reality tv has turned out to be a "cheap" (production-wise) form of entertainment (not a means of communicating actual "real" people).

Now, back to my topic. Is it just me or was the American public totally duped by Sheen's recent antics (or as I like to call it his PR campaign). Yes, it made for fine clips and sensationalism, but how can people actually think that his words were how he actually felt about himself and the world. Sure, he may be a burnout, but come on, the things he was saying were hilarious. I guess this may be the problem, too, people don't understand wry humor. Apparently, if it doesn't involve a laugh track or people getting hit in the nads with a bat, audiences don't actively think when watching TV.

Back to chuckles. The media loves to prop him up as losing it, or high, or deluded, but with his recent interview (after having his children removed), I think Charlie has proven them wrong (unintentionally revealing his PR campaign). If he was "mad" (or high), I highly doubt he would respond the way he did during this morning's interview. He was on-point, didn't bounce to outlandish statements, and was rational (for a "star"). The only criticism I have is that when the interviewer brought up the CBS thing, he should have said something along the lines of "that is not what I'm here for, the concern right now is that my children were taken from me and I haven't been officially informed of their location," but then I guess he would be presented as "not calm" or "avoiding responding to questions."

So, I guess all I'm saying is that people seem to have forgotten that celebrities know how to get PR (whether good or bad), and that the actors (and actresses) among them are experts in manipulating audiences to think/act in a particular way to portray the persona they want. In other words, Chuckles has been playing a game to keep his name in the media and the bulk of audiences seem to have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker; in fact, I think he deserves an Emmy for his recent campaign.

*remove soap box*

On a side note, it's funny that some of the media is attempting to make a "family values" issue out of his situation; how well have these discussions worked when celebrities are involved (especially outspoken members)?
CBL

Re: Charlie "Chuckles" Sheen

Postby Matzel on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Interesting recap...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to The Water Cooler