2012 cc.net H2H Keeper League

Have anything non-hockey related to say? Post it here!

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

2012 cc.net H2H Keeper League

Postby MalasPalabras on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:18 pm

What's the word on the league this year?
Listen...do you smell something?
MalasPalabras
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 2012 cc.net H2H Keeper League

Postby Matzel on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 am

tic-toc, tic-toc, tic-toc, tic-toc, tic-toc, tic-toc, tic-toc, tic-toc, ...

It seems that Yahoo has further improved the league setup process. We'd be ready to go as soon as the league and PA get their differences worked out. I looked at setting the league up just for fun, but the setting of a live online draft date and deadline for keeper nominations are mandatory. So I did not actually go ahead with it.

Rest assured that we'll be ready to go into our 12th season when the puck drops... :wink:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MalasPalabras on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 pm

Nice
Listen...do you smell something?
MalasPalabras
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Puckhead on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:41 am

I've never participated in one of these before. Would someone mind telling me a little about it, what's involved, and what type of time commitment one would be looking at?

We seem to have lots of free time at the moment. I actually watched baseball last night. :cry:
Puckhead
Prospect
Prospect

Postby CBL on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Well, if there's a season, it's fairly simple.

First off, if you've played fantasy football, baseball, or basketball, it's about the same. In terms of time, I'd say it is a bit more than football, but much less than baseball (I've played both, however, I've only participated in CC.net's the last 3-4 seasons--if not more). Honestly, one fantasy team & sport is plenty for me. If we have an open slot (we usually have a few each season), you would inherit a roster to select "keepers" from (once the league is set-up we determine the keepers/stats categories iirc), or you can choose to complete a full draft (Matz sets it up well so that it is fair for those who start anew). If we do a live draft, that can take a few hours, but you can go with auto-select (if you dare).

In terms of time, for me, I usually set my rosters weekly, which doesn't take too long (you could set-up way much further ahead if you wanted). I then check back every couple of days to see if there are any injury/note updates (Yahoo! has decent enough information--although they ain't perfect). We want active managers, but on occasion we've had semi-active (some who set rosters WAY ahead) managers that have worked out okay. Don't get me wrong, we've had some crappy managers as well, but they get weeded out after each season.

From there, if we do it how we have the past few seasons (which I'm guessing we would), you are pitted against another team each week. Towards the end of the season, there is a final for the top 8-10 (roughly) teams. We keep it civil/casual (on the most part), although a few folks spend plenty of time researching things (I'm not one of them--although I do a bit of research prior to the draft).
CBL

Postby Puckhead on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:31 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the detailed response, CBL. I haven't done any other fantasy sports, so I'm guessing a minimum of 30-45 minutes a week and up depending on how much research is done. Does that seem like it's in the ballpark?
Puckhead
Prospect
Prospect

Postby CBL on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Yes, that's about right; it could be less depending on how well you do on the draft. Honestly, I don't do much research (besides pre-draft). Once the season is going, Yahoo! has icons that show you whether or not you have notes/injuries, etc.
CBL

Postby Puckhead on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Sounds reasonable. I'll keep an eye out for spots should we have a season and more importantly, a team. Thanks again for the info.
Puckhead
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Matzel on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Hey Matt, thanks for the excellent description. I`d say you`re bang on for the average manager and average team. Depending on draft success, injuries, prolonged slumps, a manager may occasionally a little more time to work the waiver wire, put together trade proposals, etc.

Y! has pretty decent tools and there are some free sites that are pretty accurate with things like goalie starts on game day or whether players are returning from day-to-day injuries and such.

The fantasy league adds a lot to my hockey season. :wink:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby white_tiger on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:16 am

My playing will depend on the NHL and teh Players.. I have given them until Xmas.. If the Season is not going by then I will ask for my Mopney back and likely never spend another penny on the NHL... SO then I can start saviong for going to the WOrld Cup every 4 years for a nice vacation and some sports.... I'm totally fed up with guys that make between 10 times and several 100 times what I make crying about 3-7%.. That is Owners and Players alike...
5th Year Season Ticket Holder
Sec 209 Row O 3
white_tiger
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby Matzel on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 pm

The cc.net H2H Keeper League is open for business. Returning managers should have found invitations to set up their teams in their e-mail in-boxes. Since we are only 6 days away from the live online draft, please let me know immediately if you do not intend on returning, so I can try to find a new manager.

Dropping the puck on a new fantasy season real soon...

Matzel (jets4ever)
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Matzel on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Anyone interested in newly joining our league, please post in this thread or send me a PM. I will be looking to fill available GM spots on a first come / first served basis. A great deal of prior knowledge is not required, but it could be advantageous. Absolutely required is a certain degree of 'stick-to-it-tiveness'. In an effort of providing a competitive league / season, we expect managers to stay involved and actively manage their rosters to avoid 'easy wins'.

Can't wait to get going... :banana:
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Matzel on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 am

We have two teams (Ice Stains & Ice Trolls) available for new GMs wanting to join.

Ice Stains finished the 2011/'12 regular season in 10th place (20 team league) with a .516 winning percentage and 227 points. Ice Trolls finished 16th with a .434 winning percentage and 191 points. Decent keepers on the rosters...

Let me know if you are interested!
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby white_tiger on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 pm

There finally got it.. seems an old cookie had me looking at the wrong damn screen
5th Year Season Ticket Holder
Sec 209 Row O 3
white_tiger
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Postby Stunned on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 am

white_tiger wrote:There finally got it.. seems an old cookie had me looking at the wrong damn screen

Who are you calling an old cookie?
Stunned
Administrator
Administrator

Location: With my therapist, discussing my level of fanaticism

Next

Return to The Water Cooler