Hotels for the Coyotes

Have anything non-hockey related to say? Post it here!

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Hotels for the Coyotes

Postby coyotes_uk on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:03 am

Having a look at the schedule for the coming season it's good to see the Coyotes with a few home stands in place. This got me thinking about a possible trip over. Do you guys have any recomendations for good/cheap (which I know can be mutually exclusive) hotels in Phoenix/Glendale with easy reach to the arena?
The Angry Budgie - Manchester Phoenix and Phoenix Coyotes Blog
The Angry Budgie - Twitter Account with live Manchester Phoenix game updates

Hockey ain't just a game, it's a way of life!
coyotes_uk
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Re: Hotels for the Coyotes

Postby CBL on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:44 am

It's been a while since I've been to the Phoenix area, but I would recommend a vacation rental if you are planning on staying for a week or so. Most of them are not too pricey (again it's been a while). I always found it nice to have a "base of operations." Personally, I like the Tempe area. It may be a bit too far east for you, but it was more affordable than say Scottsdale. The nice thing about some vacation rentals is that they are condos in nice complexes, so if you want to take a day to simply relax poolside, it's a more pleasant experience than most affordable hotels.

In doing a quick look, Sun City might be a good option (they seem to have some vacation rentals that are reasonable). I've never stayed in the area, but It seems close enough to avoid most traffic (locals can correct me if I'm wrong), but far enough to reduce costs a bit.

If you opt for a hotel, go with a suite. Although it may be a bit more expensive, you can save money by cooking/preparing some of your own meals after finding a local grocery store.

I used to book a vacation rental (or suite) for most of my time and then one night either between Phoenix and Flagstaff or Phoenix and Tucson (depending on which area I wanted to do non-hockey related things).

One good site to browse through is VRBO if you want to see the possible options. Of course, like anything web-related, there may be scams but if you go with a mid-price option, you should be safe.

Good luck! I'm hoping to get back out there as well, but it ain't going to be this season.
CBL

Re: Hotels for the Coyotes

Postby Murf on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:59 pm

If you come to Phoenix, you'll probably have to have a rental car. Phoenix is not walkable/public transportation-able. Taxis cost too much. If you have a car, you could essentially choose anything, and be within a reasonable drive (although, if you are planning to stay out for a bit, that taxi might actually be a good idea).

If you golf, there are many hotel/golf combinations - this is one off the top of my head: http://www.shellhospitality.com/The-Legacy-Golf-Resort. There are dozens more in all price ranges - Scottsdale is full of them. Legacy was about $100 per night in December, which I think is pretty good for the market.

I don't stay at hotels in PHX, but when I travel away from Phoenix, I do like the Drury chain. They have free breakfast, dinner, happy hour, popcorn and beverages until 10 at night, wifi. They aren't the cheapest, but are usually clean and newer construction.

If you do some research on your trip and have specific hotels in mind, we could probably give more feedback.
Murf
Third Line Agitator
Third Line Agitator

Return to The Water Cooler