World Cup

Have anything non-hockey related to say? Post it here!

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Re: World Cup

Postby Matzel on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 am

DerbyCoyote wrote:Paul's gone for Spain, sorry Matz.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10521867.stm

No worries, Paul's got a 30% rate off missing the winner. :cool:

Seriously, this will be a difficult match to win for the Germans. I hope it's payback time...
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gollybass on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Paul looks like a genius right about now
gollybass
Second Line Winger
Second Line Winger

Postby Matzel on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:02 am

Germans didn't show up for the semi. It's a bit of a shame because one wonders what could have been, had they played more like they did in their previous two matches.

Oh well, this German team was never meant to win this tournament. The injuries leading up to the event spelled trouble. I am hoping that this team can be really good in two years (Euro) and then in four years for the World Cup.

So it is Hup-Hup against O-le, Heineken against Sangria, Oranje vs. La Furia Roja. Gotta cheer for the Dutch in this one. Hup Oranje Hup!
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DerbyCoyote on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:00 am

gollybass wrote:Paul looks like a genius right about now

Unless it was a calamari supper at the Oberhausen Sea Life Aquarium last night... :wink:
DerbyCoyote
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BigGumby on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:22 am

Matzel wrote:Germans didn't show up for the semi. It's a bit of a shame because one wonders what could have been, had they played more like they did in their previous two matches.

Oh well, this German team was never meant to win this tournament. The injuries leading up to the event spelled trouble. I am hoping that this team can be really good in two years (Euro) and then in four years for the World Cup.

So it is Hup-Hup against O-le, Heineken against Sangria, Oranje vs. La Furia Roja. Gotta cheer for the Dutch in this one. Hup Oranje Hup!

I'm not so sure if it was Germany not showing up or Spain's posession first mentality. Whatever it was, Germany looked on their heels from the outset.

So, on to the finals, laten we gaan Nederland!
“We didn’t go into the playoffs through the back door. We kicked the door down."

--GM Don Maloney

"Note: Dave Tippett's quotes play a Dave Tippett system."

--Harrison Mooney (Puck Daddy)
BigGumby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DerbyCoyote on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:04 am

Well, the best team probably won, Paul retires with a 100% record and I'm rather glad the competition's over because most of the football, with a few exceptions, has done very little for me, and I'm rather tired of it. Maybe that's just modern football for you. Roll on hockey season.

(Not just saying that cos England were shite either, honest).
DerbyCoyote
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Matzel on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:03 pm

DerbyCoyote wrote:Well, the best team probably won.

It's hard to argue with the effectiveness of the Spaniards... and they did hoist the most coveted of team trophies in the world. That said, the finals were a drag to watch. The Spaniards seemed happy to do *just* enough to once again win by 1-nil. The Dutch seemed to think that shinny rules applied, going for the body prior to ever looking for the ball.

Meh.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to The Water Cooler