Free Agents the Coyotes should sign

This is the place to talk all trade and free agent ideas and rumors.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

Free Agents the Coyotes should sign

Postby deveraux_over_doan on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Since the regular season is done wouldn't hurt to start thinking about the offseason.. Who should the Coyotes go after?

Any chance the Coyotes will be interested in Boyd Devereaux? He's was a great player but was injured, and is now hoping to get back into the NHL from what I hear. I think he would be a great player on this team, and can put up numbers like Shane Doan if ever given the chance and minutes. He was great on the power play and that guy in Toronto had no idea how to utilize him properly. seriously he would be very good and with his experience he could be a leader on this team to take them to the next level.

I hope they sign him

He has lots of international expereince and is canadian like doan so he must be good
deveraux_over_doan
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Re: Free Agents the Coyotes should sign

Postby Frustrated on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:32 pm

deveraux_over_doan wrote:... and is canadian like doan so he must be good

:roll:
Frustrated
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby deveraux_over_doan on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Frustrated wrote:
deveraux_over_doan wrote:... and is canadian like doan so he must be good

:roll:

both were gold medal players for canada! you don't think so? look it up, both are canadian
deveraux_over_doan
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Postby nickk382 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 am

Man, I don't know what you see in Devereaux, it's astonishing why you want him. First, your username is backwards, I don't know how or why you would say Devereaux over Doan, it simply just doesn't make sense. Devereaux was a player who sucked and got lucky to win the Stanley Cup with Detroit. He was drafted 6th overall and became nothing more than a piece of trash, sorry, I would never want to take him.
ImageImageImage
nickk382
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Kaibur on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 am

I was thinking maybe Fleischmann could be a fit. He might be able to improve our powerplay without being a total detriment on the ice - that is if he's cleared to play again.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Devereaux. Kidding right? Didn't his leg fall off or something?

Ain't much available worth taking in the UFA pool this year, unless GMDM can pull off a savage coup and land Brad Richards.

Short of a major trade, we're heading into next season with pretty much the same line up, sans perhaps a couple of UFAs like Belanger and Jovo. But I think Jovo will return for a home town discount.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby PHXyotes on Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 am

Free Agents i wouldnt mind seeing sign with the Yotes would be.....Upshall and Mike Santorelli from the Panthers. I know Santorelli is a RFA but i dont think he will ask for a price that will cost us any significant picks. Also Alex Tanguay is coming off of a solid year with the flames and i wouldnt mind us trying to grab him. Also Jussi Jokinen and Erik Cole would be nice pick ups for the Dogs as well.

These players are players i would imagine us going after if we cant get the owernship figured out.

If ownership is done by July 1st I would like to see us go after Brad Richards (Optimistic) or Simon Gagne (Realistic)......with OEL and Shlemko moving towards becoming everyday players i dont think we really need to look into signing any D-men (besides Jovo at a reasonable price).
PHXyotes
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Robert Earthpig on Tue May 24, 2011 11:22 am

I'd like to see Upshall get brought back.
Santorelli - hmm, intriguing idea.
Tanguay loves playing with Iginla and won't be leaving Calgary. He'll re-sign there.
Erik Cole is one of those guys who apparently only likes playing in one locale - Carolina. He blew major chunks in Edmonton. He's also very injury prone - so nyet to him.
Jussi Jokinen - now that's a player I'd like to see us sign. We could have a decent all-Finn line with Jokinen, Korpedo and newly-signed Nokelainen.
Richards will sign for extremely stupid money (again) in either Dallas, New York (Rangers) or Los Angeles, I believe. Even if the reins are removed from GMDM, I can't see how he could find the bucks to pay for Richards. Not even daring to dream there.
Simon Gagne... hmm. Seems to have become a very brittle player, so not sure about that. Two years ago I would have screamed YES.

I still don't think we're heading into next season with any new fancy names on our bench.
Our line up to start the season will likely be:

1) Whitney / Turris / Doan
2) Korpikoski / Hanzal / Vrbata
3) Pyatt / Nokelainen / Stempniak
4) Boedker / Fiddler / MacLean
Spares: Bissonnette and Miele

Yandle/Klesla
Rozsival/Morris
OE-Larsson/Aucoin or Jovanovski
Spare: Schlemko

It is possible that Jovo re-signs for a hometown discount, but that would probably mean Aucoin won't be re-signed

Bryzgalov and Labarbara

It is possible GMDM will sign a different backup - or perhaps Climie will be given a shot.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Matzel on Tue May 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:It is possible that Jovo re-signs for a hometown discount, but that would probably mean Aucoin won't be re-signed

Oakie is signed through next season ($2.2mm with $2.0mm cap hit).
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kaibur on Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 am

Robert Earthpig wrote:Tanguay loves playing with Iginla and won't be leaving Calgary. He'll re-sign there.
Erik Cole is one of those guys who apparently only likes playing in one locale - Carolina. He blew major chunks in Edmonton. He's also very injury prone - so nyet to him.
Jussi Jokinen - now that's a player I'd like to see us sign. We could have a decent all-Finn line with Jokinen, Korpedo and newly-signed Nokelainen.

I can't see the Flames fitting Tanguay in unless they make some major moves to find space for him. They're sitting at $55.8M for 17 players next year and Tanguay made $1.7 last year and put up 69 points in 79 games. There was that report that we had signed him, I believe it was two off-seasons ago, but we have so many wingers, I don't know where he'd fit.

For Cole, I don't think it's locale so much as linemates and roommates. Him and Staal are besties (just like Jussi and Pitkanen are) and there was a famous News & Observer article that interviewed him after he got traded back to Raleigh where he sent out a text message referring to the Cup win and said, "We're getting the band back together." Similar to Morris wanting to only get traded to Phx and taking a little less money because of friends, family and the local environment, I think for Cole, he'll come back because he likes the lifestyle of playing for that franchise.

Jussi is very impressive on the shootout, and can play the wing or center, but I think he's going to be looking at quite a pay increase, which is why Rutherford is willing to let him go. Which is basically the same reason we couldn't sign him.
Kaibur
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu May 26, 2011 8:29 am

I think Tanguay will take a 'discount' to keep playing with Iginla. Not sure I would want to see him in brick red. If he didn't click with anyone, we'd just have another over priced winger whose best days are behind him.
The way GMDM is loading up on Finns lately, it's possible he could take a run at Jokinen. The dogs will have spare bucks to spend to just get to the cap floor again, especially with Jovo's silly money off the books (which should be eaten up by Yandle and Bryz). Bryz will likely be signed to a $5.5 million deal and Yandle will likely find himself in the $5 million range, too. Length of the deals will be the sticking points, I reckon.
I really feel for GMDM. How hard must it be to do his job in this environment?
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby Lils17 on Thu May 26, 2011 10:14 am

Unless Bryz takes a one year deal, I don't see him resigning in Phoenix. There's just too much uncertainty with ownership.
Lils17
Enforcer
Enforcer

Postby gollybass on Thu May 26, 2011 4:38 pm

think of the money off the books without jovo or bryz
gollybass
Second Line Winger
Second Line Winger

Postby Matzel on Thu May 26, 2011 4:56 pm

gollybass wrote:think of the money off the books without jovo or bryz

Cap space means nothing for a league owned franchise on a shoestring budget. Heck, money to spend means nothing with a team in location limbo like the Yotes: UFAs with other options will not be looking at PHX too closely, even if the dollars are comparable.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gollybass on Thu May 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Matzel wrote:
gollybass wrote:think of the money off the books without jovo or bryz

Cap space means nothing for a league owned franchise on a shoestring budget. Heck, money to spend means nothing with a team in location limbo like the Yotes: UFAs with other options will not be looking at PHX too closely, even if the dollars are comparable.

Just like whitney right?
gollybass
Second Line Winger
Second Line Winger

Next

Return to Trade/Free Agent Talk & Rumors